Decoy spread in timber

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy spread in timber

Postby Wingmaster36 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:00 pm

I have found a new spot a piece of land that is flooded timber at the base of a powerline. I hunted yesterday and shot a few woodies and a mallard and they seemed like they were going to land dead in the middle of the thicket. Im wondering would a few wood duck and mallard floater decoys be the ticket or a mojo screaming woody or mojo mallard be the way to go. Any input will help!
Thanks so much,
Grant
Wingmaster36
Newb

Re: Decoy spread in timber

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

keep your spread small, and a mojo wouldnt be a bad idea, but I'd favor 1-3 decoys on a jerk rig for a place like that.

I would say 3-4 wood duck decoys and 3-6mallard decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Wingmaster36 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks im thinking about making a jerk string with 3 woody drakes to add some color.
Wingmaster36
Newb

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Woodies will land in the middle of a thicket as a general habit. But the jerk string will definitely help with both species.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:37 am

What ever you do don't overcrowd it. Sounds crazy but ducks like room to be able to flag wings and get into flight easy.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Leaky-NY wrote:What ever you do don't overcrowd it. Sounds crazy but ducks like room to be able to flag wings and get into flight easy.

Leaky

Year old thread leaker but will comment. I hunt a very small timber hole. There are three separate landing approaches the ducks will use. They vary by the wind but on a calm day you need eyes in the back of your head.

I know in advance which approach the ducks will use and where they will land depending on what wind I have.

I set my spread right where they want to land and sometimes will set up to block them from escaping.
(They won't fly over other ducks on the water in general)
One approach has a great escape route under the canopy, I block it with decoys. They have to stall and change direction to escape...gives me easy helicopter shots.
My mojo goes "where I want them to land" .
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting