Spinning Wing Decoys, Is More Better?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Spinning Wing Decoys, Is More Better?

Postby Mr.L » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:37 pm

I have always used just one spinning wing decoy in our spread at Catahoula Lake for years. We used just one during the first split. On the opening day of the second split, we used two and had good success. The opening of the second split is always good especially for mallards, so I wasn't convinced. After about a week, hunting slowed down. One day, we went on an evening hunt. We tried three spinning wing decoys and killed six mallards. I am wondering if more spinners work for wary birds. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Spinning Wing Decoys, Is More Better?

Postby Cenla1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm

I find on sunny days more works better. On cloudy days they have very little effect
Cenla1
hunter

Re: Spinning Wing Decoys, Is More Better?

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm

We roll anywhere from 0 to 12. There are so many variables, its hard to say how many is too many or not enough. I just like to give the ducks a different look than what theyre used to seeing for 2000+ miles. Think about how many spreads with 1-3 mojos theyve seen down the flyway. With that said, i generally either put out 10-12 or none at all. Very few times do i put out 1-3. Not saying you cant kill em with just a few....
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting