help on frying duck breast

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

help on frying duck breast

Postby jakefromflorida » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I usually always grill duck meat only because my cooking skills are limited.

Seeing threads on here about frying them, I wanted to give it a shot.my problems are two things...

A. My breading is too thick I think... When I go to flip the meat, or when I pull it out. All the breading falls apart off the breast, and I have a bunch of crumbs in my finished product.

B. I can't decide on when to flip/pull out of pan. I have an electric stove, and I usually over cook it and it's too tough/burnt. Or, I pull it too soon and it's still raw/bloody in the middle and chewy.

It's pretty aggravating, because I'm pretty good with frying venison and turkey breast.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Re: help on frying duck breast

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Try cooking it slower. maybe around med/low heat. As for the breading coming off maybe put some butter on the pan first? Im sure someone who knows a little more will chime in
Rhock19
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 am

Do you dunk the pieces in egg first? Anymore, I like to pan fry it without any breading. Just a very light dusting of your favorite seasoning salt.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:03 pm

if your breading is falling off try this:
coat the meat with flour, then in egg wash, then in breading of your choice.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks guys, the egg must be the issue.

I've never tried it with that, I've used honey mustard and balsamic dressing. maybe that will be the key, thanks.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby 007 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:26 pm

Try this: soak the duck breasts in a tupperware full of saltwater (brine). Put the tupperware in the fridge for 48 hours (minimum), changing the saltwater after every 24 hours. Slice the duck breasts in half (long-ways), and coat them in a commercially produced batter (I prefer "fryin' magic" but i'm not sure where it's all available). Use medium/high heat and PREHEAT your oil. This is a must. I use canola oil, but any oil is probably ok. Using a lid is recommended. Flip after 3-4 minutes. You can press down on the filets with a spatula and tell if they're done or not. Enjoy!

hunter

Postby NJDHunter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Fried duck nuggets are a hot commodity around my house, I've got 2 boys that love them. IMO no need for a heavy batter or breading. I usually cut the breasts into approx 1 inch chunks and soak in milk overnight. Put some all-purpose flour in a bowl or bag mixed with all your favorite spices and seasonings. Take duck chunks direct from milk and coat with flour. I then fry about 30 seconds per side in 1/2 inch of oil of your choice and serve with spicy ketchup aka ketchup mixed with hot sauce. They are gone before I can finish taking the next batch out of the pan. I'll post a pic of what they look like and they have just been floured and fried so not to much to fall off. Good luck and hope you find a way that you enjoy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389330813.632848.jpg
NJDHunter
Newb

Postby sprigs4days » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:23 am

NJDHunter wrote:Fried duck nuggets are a hot commodity around my house, I've got 2 boys that love them. IMO no need for a heavy batter or breading. I usually cut the breasts into approx 1 inch chunks and soak in milk overnight. Put some all-purpose flour in a bowl or bag mixed with all your favorite spices and seasonings. Take duck chunks direct from milk and coat with flour. I then fry about 30 seconds per side in 1/2 inch of oil of your choice and serve with spicy ketchup aka ketchup mixed with hot sauce. They are gone before I can finish taking the next batch out of the pan. I'll post a pic of what they look like and they have just been floured and fried so not to much to fall off. Good luck and hope you find a way that you enjoy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389330813.632848.jpg

sounds simple and tasty. i will be trying these in near future
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:06 am

Indaswamp wrote:if your breading is falling off try this:
coat the meat with flour, then in egg wash, then in breading of your choice.

That's what I'm talkin bout! Shoulda known you were a louisiana boy too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby badgerfowl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I just deep fry the nuggets. No need to worry about turning and taking all the breading off. Only cook them a minute or so though. Nice and red/juicy on the inside still. Tender!
badgerfowl
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking