Banded Snow Goose

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Banded Snow Goose

Postby johnsonthehunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

My dad, little brother, a friend and I decided to sit on the edge of a field that the snows had been hitting hard a couple day ago. We have hardly any decoys so we had to hope they would fly over us. All the birds came and landed and for some reason almost all of them took off and flew the completely opposite direction just casually. About 15 min. later the rest that were in the field got scared by something and flew right over us! I stood up and dumped two. I grabbed one and my dog went and got the other and when she dropped it i saw just the edge of it sticking out of it's feathers! Everybody else knocked down one bird a piece and my little brother did get his first snow goose!

Bird was banded on Wrangel Island, Russia, in 2007.
Attachments
Snow goose band.jpg
Snow goose band 3.jpg
snow goose band 2.jpg
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Re: Banded Snow Goose

Postby johnsonthehunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Quite a journey!
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Congrats! The cool part is they make that long journey in about 7 days. They do it like clock work every year. All of my banded snows except three have been from Wrangle Island. The other three were banded on Fir Island.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

BigChunter wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:Congrats! The cool part is they make that long journey in about 7 days. They do it like clock work every year. All of my banded snows except three have been from Wrangle Island. The other three were banded on Fir Island.

Idk if it's true but I have heard about 90% of the snow geese in wahington are from Russia?

The ones we get in this area are almost entirely from Wrangle Island, Russia. We may get ones that cross or pass through from other areas. As for the rest of the state, I am not sure. I know a few guys that got collars on the east side were banded on Fir Island.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby johnsonthehunter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:Congrats! The cool part is they make that long journey in about 7 days. They do it like clock work every year. All of my banded snows except three have been from Wrangle Island. The other three were banded on Fir Island.

three on fir island? that's awesome! I never knew that they banded there
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:23 am

Nice job on the snows and what a great bonus to get one that is banded!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby johnsonthehunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:22 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Nice job on the snows and what a great bonus to get one that is banded!

thank you sir!
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting