Magazine problems with my 870

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Magazine problems with my 870

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Why does my 870 keep doing this?

It happened the other day after one shot and jammed my shotgun up while 2000 mallards were circling overhead. When I got home I pulled it all apart and stuck it all back together again. This morning I shot one shot while walking the river jump shooting. Luckily I killed one with one shot and it jammed up again.

I am shooting the remington hypersonic steel 3" 1 1/4oz of #4s which are rated at 1700fps. It's never happend with any other load but these. It seems that when I shoot! the recoil is forcing the gun back and the shells in the magazine are moving forward compressing the mag spring, plug, and cap together. Any ideas? Is it just too heavy of a load or do I have another problem to sort out?
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Re: Magazine problems with my 870

Postby z51 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm

I think you answered your own question.
z51
hunter

Postby fishduck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Never had that happen but it looks easy to fix. Take that plastic plug out and replace it with a dowel or pencil. That will keep that thick plastic plug from jamming up on the follower.

Good Luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks I'll have to try the dowel. I'd like to be able to shoot these loads. I just have a bunch I was given so I'll try to shoot them or maybe trade/sell them. The follower wasn't the problem though. It comes right off. The plug got jammed in the jagged forend cap/plug. The black piece in the picture. So when the plug gets jammed in there, it holds it all in one piece. Which in turn jams my gun because there is no spring pushing the shells out of the magazine
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:23 pm

If the follower will come off when everything is jammed up, what is the spring hanging up on? The end of the plug on my 870 almost comes to a point. Do you maybe have the plug in backwards?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:36 pm

I think I'm going to make a fool of myself but I think I put my plug in backwards at one point. The pointed end of my plug was not on the orange follower end. Since its pointed towards the spring retainer (black piece) it gets rammed up into it and its tight enough that it holds everything together. So I'm pretty sure my dumb *** just had it in backwards. I'll flip it around when I get home and try it out again. Thanks guys
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Curls-and-Bands wrote:I think I'm going to make a fool of myself but I think I put my plug in backwards at one point. The pointed end of my plug was not on the orange follower end. Since its pointed towards the spring retainer (black piece) it gets rammed up into it and its tight enough that it holds everything together. So I'm pretty sure my dumb *** just had it in backwards. I'll flip it around when I get home and try it out again. Thanks guys

:thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby bull64 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:34 am

Yep---plug in backwards. Don't ask me how I know this.
bull64
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:34 am

bull64 wrote:Yep---plug in backwards. Don't ask me how I know this.

^^^ This.... :rolleyes: :oops:
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

you all beat me to it, I have seen these jammed up like this many times with the plug in backwards. You will not make that mistake again :yes: I Hope......
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Killed a few greenheads today. No problems at all. Thanks guys. I appreciate it
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum