She's In Texas

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

She's In Texas

Postby gunshow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Ruby made it to Texas for her 4 months of pro training. I struggled for quite a while with sending her at a younger age (4 months on Christmas) but I've read both sides of the argument and the trainer seemed to be very straightforward with why it's a great idea to start them young as well.

Matt Johnson (DuckWater Retreivers) is the trainer and he seems like a very solid choice. I got the reference from the boards here so thanks for that. He had a great year last year and from what I was able to gather has a great reputation in the business. It's not easy to leave your dog with a guy whom you barely know and then on top of that give him a big fat check and trust that he will do the job but I felt in my gut that he was the right choice and a man of his word. After meeting him in person it was obvious he loves what he does and is good at it.

I will plan a trip to Texas in a couple of months to work with him for a few days but most of our time together will be sometime in May when he brings her back. In the meantime I will talk to him about what I should/could be doing to prepare. Looking at joining a local club to help continue the training.

The timeline seems perfect. January - May in Texas, May - October MN continued training, October OPENER - dead ducks and happy retriever :grooving:

Will update with pics and progress as we go along here....
gunshow
hunter

Re: She's In Texas

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm jealous of her allready being in the warm weather.
Hope it goes great, and thank for sharing the ride with us.
Good luck

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Re: She's In Texas - Update w/pics

Postby gunshow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Ruby's been in Texas for 2 weeks now and is adjusting just fine. We miss her big time but are happy she is doing well.

Galloping like a horse

On a clipped pigeon

gunshow
hunter

Re: She's In Texas

Postby gunshow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Call from trainer yesterday. Had good feedback for heal and stay, could walk away and circle around her without her moving. She's birdy and will be on ducks and in the water in the next few weeks. She is full on teething now with half of her teeth coming in and the other half probably in the next couple of weeks. Going to hold off on hold/FF until she's past that stage.

We miss her a bunch!
gunshow
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum