Merino Wool

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Merino Wool

Postby ksfowler166 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:21 pm

I am looking about getting a merino wool top as a base layer and was wondering what brands to look for or avoid? Also I was wondering how much difference there is between the lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight weights? Thanks for the help.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Re: Merino Wool

Postby Dedduc » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm

First Lite is top of the line….not cheap but great stuff !
Dedduc
hunter

Postby Padre » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Smart Wool makes a top and bottom set that are excellent. Lightweight but very soft. Top is available in a crewneck or 1/4 zip.

Orvis makes a two layer top, merino wool on the outside and Polartec's PowerDry on the inside. It's a superb base layer. $98, I think, but Orvis is very free with $25 off coupons, if you can find one if those.
Padre
hunter

Postby super90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm

I've got a pair of SmartWool. 1/4 zip top, and the bottoms in a midweight. Soft, warm, and they don't get smelly like polypro. Pricey stuff, no doubt, but they are my favorites.
super90
hunter

Postby kylbjack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 pm

First lite Allegany bottoms. First lite Chauma tops. Cabelas merino heavyweight socks. Switched over from underarmour this season and will never go back. I've stayed much warmer when its cold and much cooler while active. Merino is the tits.
kylbjack
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:52 am

Smartwool or Icebreaker are my top two brands. Socks I have switched away from merino wool socks and purchased Heater Holders. They feel amazing. I haven't had cold feet all season, but I do have heated insoles to supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Holders-Thermal-Socks-Original/dp/B005KQAZZO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389948686&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Heater+Holders+socks
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:08 am

may have to try those socks out I've always been a fan of the basspro redhead merino socks they always have seemed like the warmest to me. But I tend to still get cold feet on the colder days, so I may have to try a pair those.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 pm

I have the BPS Lifetime merino wool socks. Last a season and exchanged every year. Sick of running back and fourth for just socks. The Heat Holders are pricey but never failed me yet.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby lattehead » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 am

Last edited by lattehead on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lattehead
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:20 am

Cool fact. The owner of North Face and the owner of Patagonia are friends who use to hike mountains together back in the 60s. Now look where they are at today.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Also, STP always has merino on clearance/closeout. Coupons are all over the Internet. I just priced the Icebreaker 200 set for $81 shipped to my door. Not bad. Here is a link.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~merino-wool/clothing~d~5/mens-clothing~d~15/mens-underwear-and-base-layer~d~155/

And, not sure if anyone addressed your weight question. I wear UA base layer for hunting and merino base layer for backpacking because I am a minimalist packer meaning every ounce counts. So, the overall weight of the top and bottoms are lighter in actual weight compared to UAs. But, to address your weight (light, medium, heavy) I wear light (UA 1.0s) usually above 20-25˚. I wear heavy (UA 4.0s) below 20˚. 4.0s make me sweat like no other, but extremely warm when I am in a layout. Usually if I am pit hunting for the day I will put on the 1.0s since I am out of the wind and a heater is going. The weight is dependent on you really. To each their own. There are times I have worn 4.0s under my Supermags and nothing else. I have multiple base layers for different weather conditions. Best piece of advise is not to get fully dressed while setting up if you can avoid it. In a dry field I never wear a jacket, bibs, the socks or boots I am wearing all day. I put it all on last right before I get into a layout/pit and even change my socks and boots to stay the warmest I can all day.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 am

I've got a few pairs of the bass pro socks my oldest pair is 3 years old going on four now never had a issue with them. I'm gonna try those thermal socks.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Look at the fabric make up of the BPS socks. Honestly wish I never purchased them. Rather have a 83-90% merino wool sock on than the BPS Lifetime.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:38 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Cool fact. The owner of North Face and the owner of Patagonia are friends who use to hike mountains together back in the 60s. Now look where they are at today.

Cool fact both companies are anti motorized access. Don't be surprised if someday they are on the opposite side of you using a motor to get back hunting somewhere.
xrated
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 am

Kuiu makes some fantastic stuff as well. The guy who founded Sitka left when they got to be a corporate type business. They were getting away from what he saw in his company, so he sold it to Goretex and started Kuiu. The only place to buy it is through their website. They do this so as not to have to skimp on quality due to retailers mark ups. I have base, insulation and outer layers and I am completely happy with every piece of equipment I have from them. They have 3 different weights of base layers. I will give a nod to Patagonia's stuff as well. Especially their merino base layers.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum