SEA DUCK- hunting questions

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Re: SEA DUCK- hunting questions

Postby Tealer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
BigChunter wrote:
riesx040 wrote:We saw a lot more sea ducks today, scooters, oldsquaw. Shot 2 couldn't get very many to decoy they kept flaring out of range.

Face paint or mask. Hand paint or gloves.

Have never needed either for sea ducks. I watch them all the way in too.

I sat about 10 yards off the dekes today when the Scoters came in. They're dumb...

Not dumb, no pressure.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Plenty of pressure up here. Just not very bright birds . I can sit in a bare boat with no cover and shoot them over the decoys. Lots of duck hunters up this way!
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby seaducking » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey I know you Dan. Thanks for the Beer. LOL let me know how you do tomorrow and if you get any Harleys or not. I think that they are starting to loose there winter colors already. The two that we got last weekend didn't have a lot of blue on them anymore (or they were younger birds.)
Attachments
andy blaine.jpg
Overall from that trip.
bro and i harleys.jpg
Last weekend my Brother came out to visit from MN and we got a couple Harlequin.
harleys side of boat.jpg
seaducking
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:16 pm

seaducking wrote:Hey I know you Dan. Thanks for the Beer. LOL let me know how you do tomorrow and if you get any Harleys or not. I think that they are starting to loose there winter colors already. The two that we got last weekend didn't have a lot of blue on them anymore (or they were younger birds.)

Young birds more than likely. That ramp looks awfully familiar too... :rolleyes:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 pm

You are shooting immature birds.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 am

BigChunter wrote:
Tealer wrote:
BigChunter wrote:
riesx040 wrote:We saw a lot more sea ducks today, scooters, oldsquaw. Shot 2 couldn't get very many to decoy they kept flaring out of range.

Face paint or mask. Hand paint or gloves.

Have never needed either for sea ducks. I watch them all the way in too.

Interesting, i have never hunted them. I only kill what I'm gonna or someone else is gonna eat.

I have eaten more then a few over the last bunch of years.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby riesx040 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 am

Seaducking- Glad you liked the Beer! No luck on the Harleys we saw one when we were driving out before we were set up that we looked at through the Binos. Thank you for all of your help it really made the trip a lot of fun!
WashingtonMuley- Thank you for all of your pointers as well.

I'll type up the kill counts, lessons learned, and post picuters later tonight after I get off work!

Thank you agian everyone fro all of your Tips
Dan
riesx040
hunter

Postby WetlandWarrior » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Glad you got some. I was out on Saturday with my son we only managed two Common Goldeneyes and one Brant don't see much in the fog.
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Postby riesx040 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Thursday, we visited the local Holiday sporting goods store and spoke got a nice map and a few pointers from really nice gentlemen who works there and headed out for an afternoon hunt. We got set up around 130 and shot 2 widgeon and 3 bluebills all drakes.
Friday we headed out around daylight and shot 2 WS 1 drake- our first seaducks of the trip and a few more bluebills and widgeon.

Saturday we met Seaducking at the launch and he gave us a few pointers and we got into the SS. We ended up shooting our limit including one drake with a band that my friend killed. We also shot a few bluebills and buffies. – Thanks again man for the tips
Sunday we headed back out there and shot 4 more SS and 1 immature longtail duck. We got visited by the local game department who was a very nice guy. We were too busy taking pictures and got excited and forgot to fill out our sea duck harvest cards. He was nice enough to only give us one ticket which we split 3 ways so it wasn’t too bad but it still kind of killed the mood.
Monday we tried a different area in search of Harleys and we saw one which was really cool but we didn’t get a shot at it. My buddy shot a nice drake longtail and we shot a few more Surfs and a bunch of buffies. Man were those decoying well we just shot drakes and had to pack up our decoys and switched spots because we lacked the will power to stop shooting them and we really wanted to kill some more sea ducks.

It was a great trip I appreciate all of the tips I received from all of you nice folks over on the west side. I’m hoping to make the trek over there again next year for a few days and I will definitely be making some surf and longtail decoys because I think that will really help getting them to decoy.
riesx040
hunter

Postby riesx040 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Attaching pic
Attachments
image.jpg
riesx040
hunter

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting