Samish Unit

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Samish Unit

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Always nice to see 20 vehicles in the parking lot and everybody and their mothers shooting at snows and ducks a mile high and sending the kids running back to the truck to refill the pockets of those who already spent their 15 shotshell limits with no birds on the ground.... Maybe the next 15 shells will get you a bird or two :no:
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Re: Samish Unit

Postby Hntrspud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Happens all the time. I was there on tuesday up in that area scouting, and saw 12 rigs in there. Nothing to show, they just keep educating the birds. Another reason I wont hunt that area. By the time they pass all the skybusters I cant get them to come down for nothin, even if Im farther away from that area. Thats why I dont hunt some of these areas. Id rather go to a spot where I know I can harvest a couple birds then go there and deal with that.
Hntrspud
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm

It was pretty cool seeing all of those birds coming off the bay this morning. Agree was sad watching the guys shooting at the snows 100+ at the dike and then fly over the area and everyone else shooting at them too as they cross the area. :no:

Didn't see any birds come down today for them, but I guess about 3 years ago 1 guy got one and everyone is hoping to be the next! :lol3:

Was slow on ducks. Saw maybe 2 dozen ducks fly all morning.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby Flyinundertheradar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

Sad isn't it? I can remember when that was really good hunting out there. Shot bunches of ducks out at Welts back in the day. Of course that was before headquarters was flooded and Leque Island was still managed for waterfowl as it was originally intended. Now its just a place to contain the barneys it seems. Seems to me enforcement should slam the hammer on that thing like they did Fir Island when it got really bad out there some years back.
Flyinundertheradar
hunter

Postby Knighttime25 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am

I went to Samish earlier this year right before hours scouting to see if their were any birds working the fields yet. I pulled up and their were 30 rigs in the parking lot.....yes 30 rigs. Thought about leaving but I had an hour to burn so I walked out into the warzone for 25 minutes and heard more bad calling, saw more skybusting and more idiots than I've ever seen hunting. At one point a group of hunters started yelling at me because they thought I was going to set up next to them when all I had was my gun and I was 150 yards away :huh: The group behind them started shooting at a flock of pintails way too high and then their focus turned off me and they began yelling obscenities to that group for skybusting and setting up too close to them. I listened to those groups scream and yell at each other back and forth and decided I better go. That was my first and last trip to Samish this year...
Wack em' and Stack em' boys
Knighttime25
hunter

Postby johnsonthehunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Ive pretty much quit hunting there unless i just feel like taking my dog for a walk on the dike. It is pathetic really... gives hunters a bad rep. :no:
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter

Postby nookacamp_rloader » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am

I agree that since they flooded headquarters it has forced more people into the Samish Unit. There is a proposal to flood Welts as well. There are lots of ducks feeding in the fields around MV but access is nearly impossible without permission. Good public hunting in Skagit County is becoming increasingly difficult. This season has been unusually mild and until recently, the ducks
have been feeding only at night and sitting on the bay during the day.
nookacamp_rloader
hunter

Postby Flyinundertheradar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm

nookacamp_rloader wrote:There is a proposal to flood Welts as well.

Can you site a source on this supposed proposal to flood the Samish unit???? I sure as hell can't find any info to back this up. I have looked into it and there are no culverts on the Samish unit that block fish passage therefore little/no reason to spend the money to set back the dike and flood it for "salmon habitat".

I know it has been proposed in the past to manage Welts as a moist soil management unit which I personally would zero issues with as long as it was done correctly.

There is a current proposal/plan (It' s a done deal) to do a wetland restoration on the 100 acres on the west side of the dike at the mouth of the Samish. This property needs it desperately, and (if done correctly) will benefit waterfowl in the area greatly. Any improvement there would be an improvement. As it stands now the property has next to no value as wildlife habitat for anything other then coyotes.
Flyinundertheradar
hunter

Postby Seahawks85 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. I saw some POS walking the canal by the salt shooting at snows 150 yds up, just hip shooting at them.

I'm a new duck hunter and have been there three times, and I can say I'll never go back and happy I don't have to deal with the crowds on the Westside of the state.

Samish needs to take a look at how Toppenish operates. At Samish, too many spots are too close together. I set up in the corn once and had idiots taking the birds that flared 50 yards behind me while the others were locked coming into my spread.
There needs to be designated blinds and numbers for the lot, and only a few areas you can hunt by not being in a first come first serve blind. It's basically a mess out there. I'm not saying Toppenish is perfect, but from my experience it makes Samish look sane.
Seahawks85
Newb

Postby skagitduckwacker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 am

Knighttime25 wrote:I went to Samish earlier this year right before hours scouting to see if their were any birds working the fields yet. I pulled up and their were 30 rigs in the parking lot.....yes 30 rigs. Thought about leaving but I had an hour to burn so I walked out into the warzone for 25 minutes and heard more bad calling, saw more skybusting and more idiots than I've ever seen hunting. At one point a group of hunters started yelling at me because they thought I was going to set up next to them when all I had was my gun and I was 150 yards away :huh: The group behind them started shooting at a flock of pintails way too high and then their focus turned off me and they began yelling obscenities to that group for skybusting and setting up too close to them. I listened to those groups scream and yell at each other back and forth and decided I better go. That was my first and last trip to Samish this year...

With all those guys out there with decoy setups, what were you doing wandering around in the area with just a gun? That is a problem too. Guys get up and out there early to get a spot, wait hours to get a single bird to work because of all the skybusting and bad calling, and somebody out for an afternoon stroll walks by and flares the bird. It is no wonder that people get irritated.
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:55 pm

The unit has held a lot of birds this year, but it has also produced a record number of hunters for the area. Lots of birds have been well educated to spinners, flapper, pull string decoys and everything else. They have the altimeters set to about 150 yards plus. Or right in the rang of the young guys shooting 3-1/2" Winchester wally world specials. If a gamie would watch some of these guys and walk out with a metal detector he could probably find the box of shells each brings out or the several boxes worth of empties stomped into the mud. I bet one guy shot two and half boxes the other day. To bad it's a 15 shell limit.

To bad they couldn't purchase that entire waterfront from that location south to the hill. It would spread the guys out some and offer some fun shooting.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 am

BigChunter wrote:
h2ofowlr wrote:The unit has held a lot of birds this year, but it has also produced a record number of hunters for the area. Lots of birds have been well educated to spinners, flapper, pull string decoys and everything else. They have the altimeters set to about 150 yards plus. Or right in the rang of the young guys shooting 3-1/2" Winchester wally world specials. If a gamie would watch some of these guys and walk out with a metal detector he could probably find the box of shells each brings out or the several boxes worth of empties stomped into the mud. I bet one guy shot two and half boxes the other day. To bad it's a 15 shell limit.

To bad they couldn't purchase that entire waterfront from that location south to the hill. It would spread the guys out some and offer some fun shooting.

I have to say I find this funny... Because I can just picture the sheer chaos there LOL

It's better than going to Wal Mart from 8:00pm to midnight with the stuff you see out there. The only two other spots that I know of that give this spot a run for it's money are the dikes on Fir Island and Lervick's. Actually Lervick's may be worse. At Lervick's they sit on buckets behind signs and shoot snow geese. If it glides after being shot, it get's pummeled. If it swings to come into your decoys someone else shoots it.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Washington Duck Hunting