ice skating

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: ice skating

Postby coupe1975 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Scating? Like bear scat(poop)?

Maybe skating?

Ha just picking :grooving:
coupe1975
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:38 am


Re: ice skating

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
steve-o wrote:it would be tough.

Thankfully I have more to work with. Otherwise it would be tough.


I think you'll be alright!
User avatar
La. Hunter
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Northeast Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby cannon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm

I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: ice skating

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 pm

cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.

take up beaver hunting.... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57431
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
steve-o wrote:it would be tough.

Thankfully I have more to work with. Otherwise it would be tough.


I think you'll be alright!


I've got a couple hundred ducks left on our open hole. I can't bring myself to shoot them though. I'm just thankful they stuck with us.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 13159
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: ice skating

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 13159
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: ice skating

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.

Did y'all ever get any snow yesterday?
User avatar
La. Hunter
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Northeast Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby cannon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.


Say when. With all that open water, sky's the limit. I'd probably double-book that place this week if I were you. 25 acres . . . I can only dream.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: ice skating

Postby cannon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:18 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.

Did y'all ever get any snow yesterday?


Nope.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: ice skating

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm

cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.


Say when. With all that open water, sky's the limit. I'd probably double-book that place this week if I were you. 25 acres . . . I can only dream.


I expect to see tens of thousands of specks and snows piling in tomorrow.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 13159
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: ice skating

Postby steve-o » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm

damn.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4406
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: ice skating

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:46 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.


Say when. With all that open water, sky's the limit. I'd probably double-book that place this week if I were you. 25 acres . . . I can only dream.


I expect to see tens of thousands of specks and snows piling in tomorrow.

from the south or north...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57431
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby cannon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:I think part of the ditch that runs next to my place is still open. Ain't a duck for 5 square miles, but I think there'll be a touch of open water. I did shoot one out of the ditch yesterday from the gravel road on my way down to winterized the barn. Got him out the window on a drive by. He counts.


Why don't you come down here and we will railie some birds then head oot on the ice and whip some shitties.


Say when. With all that open water, sky's the limit. I'd probably double-book that place this week if I were you. 25 acres . . . I can only dream.


I expect to see tens of thousands of specks and snows piling in tomorrow.

from the south or north...


East, I'd expect. Mainly Appalachian Flyway birds.

Image
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: ice skating

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57431
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Ice eater goes a looooong way. I was very surprised to see our duck hole still have a 20yd x 35yd hole still wide open.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:15 am

MODuckkiller wrote:Ice eater goes a looooong way. I was very surprised to see our duck hole still have a 20yd x 35yd hole still wide open.

That's awesome! Which model do you have? My 10" sub barely kept water open last night.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 13159
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: ice skating

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:46 am

ByersFarm wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:Ice eater goes a looooong way. I was very surprised to see our duck hole still have a 20yd x 35yd hole still wide open.

That's awesome! Which model do you have? My 10" sub barely kept water open last night.

The 1HP mallardview "powerhouse" ice eater. Before we flooded our field I dug a 1ft deep about 2'x3' pit out so our ice eater could be fully submerged at our water level for normal pool, and I have it tilted at about a 45degree angle on the stand, and it kept it wide open. At its depth it had the water churning pretty well.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Just saw that some parts east of the great lakes will get up to 72" of lake effect snow... Wow!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57431
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: ice skating

Postby charlie beard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Just saw that some parts east of the great lakes will get up to 72" of lake effect snow... Wow!


Take a dam tall Indian to walk through that.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: ice skating

Postby Luladucks1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 pm

My place is mostly frozen with the exception of a few running areas and there aren't enough ducks on them to hunt. Big waters are holding pretty large numbers of all species. There were about 100 specks sitting in our 100 acre lake today. First time I ever seen em get in there. The thaw should be fun. They're gonna be hungry!
User avatar
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: ice skating

Postby possumfoot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

last 3 days have been good.. yesterday would have been better if we had not lost power sometime early monday morning.. shot em over the ice, and then got a hole melted and it was on.. today we had a nice open hole and oh yea!! Tm, we should have another good day.. thursday, should be good too with birds looking for newly thawed water.. friday, i expect to see the start of a reverse migration.. after that, its anybodys guess.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 5653
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jkm and 26 guests