What a time to bail!!!

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

What a time to bail!!!

Postby Indrid Cold » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Been lurking the forums for sometime now but this is my first post...anyway...my "hunting buddy" has just informed me that he will no longer be duck and goose hunting. Said he wants to concentrate on deer, rabbit and trapping. Who bails on waterfowl hunting??? I couldnt believe my ears as he was the one who got me to become so hardcore for waterfowl hunting!!

I recently had a load of hunting equipment stolen from my property this fall...decoys, clothing, stands, etc. I have been trying to replace everything but as you all know it is very expensive. This was stuff that I had been building up over years of buying for the seasons. Worst part is they stole a bunch of my 8 year old son's stuff too. This was his first year coming out with me too. Thieves really can suck the life outta ya!!

My buddy had always allowed us to use his decoys, boat when we would go out this season. I have already started saving for a boat for next season but really gonna be hard if we cant waterfowl hunt the rest of this season.

If any you guys are looking to get out and dont feel like heading out alone and would like some company..PM me and I will shoot you my cell. Like mentioned I dont have much in the set-up (I have some stuff) but I can always drive and buy coffee or breakfast afterwards!! My son likes to go sometimes as well and I usually can hunt every Thurs, Fri and Sat. Anyway...had to rant somewhere and hopefully we can salvage the rest of this split!
Indrid Cold
hunter

Re: What a time to bail!!!

Postby Huntfish12 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Nice first post :thumbsup: That really blows about what happened to you and all your gear. Whats your general location so we can get a better idea on getting you and your son out before its too late.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 pm

That blows dude. Im still having boat trouble but if I get it worked out before the end, ill be good to go. Where you at in DE.?
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby DE-DuckNBass » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Sucks to hear man, I hunt wed and thu as they are my only days off other than that when the weather is bad and I'm 4x12 I go like today..
Can't Hit Ducks Club - Pro Staff
DE-DuckNBass
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks guys. I live in Newark DE. I actually paid for a guide to take me out last week down in lower DE. It was fun and we got some birds but paying to hunt kinda stinks when you are saving for a boat and to replenish decoys and gear.

I am in the process of buying a boat now so I probably won't have it for this season but it will be ready for next season for sure.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby ed m » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm

you said paid a guide to hunt lower De, did you get to shoot at anything or just buffle heads, state or private land.
just curious i didnt even know we still had anyone guiding down here.
my dogs to old to hunt anymore in the late season but I was thinking of trying some state sites off the bay again if this weather moves things around, i'm busy thur and sat but am free wed or fri this week, boat is ready to go, just looking for more birds, checked out prime hook this afternoon, from the road i could count 1 mallard 3 shovelers and 2 pair of black ducks, and thousands of seagulls, didnt look good
ed m
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Hey Ed... I got two teal, pintail drake and a mallard. It was on private land I believe. The guides didnt want to give up to much information about the property we hunted on.

If you are looking for someone to go with you on Friday, let me know..I am available to head out Friday morning.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Indrid - What is the name of the guide service you used? Would you recommend them?
Also, did you hunt bay water or something else.
I enjoy hunting the blinds at Assawoman, but would consider a guided hunt with the right outfit.

Thanks.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Duck-n Goose- They didnt have a name. I was given a phone number from a friend of mine who had gone out with them before. They use to be a part of (members and guide) the Hunt Club down there in Lower Delaware but terminated their membership due to shady activities??? We hunted a little channel right in Frederica.

As mentioned it was fun but I enjoy the set-up, calling and everything else that goes with it. When they picked me up in the boat and we got to the blind they dropped me off and went to finish setting up deekes. I was just sitting there chillin. They did bring a dog with them that found one of the Teal in some think ass brush though!! It wasnt a real professional guide service but the guys were cool and got me to a few ducks that morning...not bad for $100 I guess. Like mentioned I tried asking about the property and at first it was a first come, first serve blind, then it was private property.

They mentioned that they take people out to the lottery on Little Creek if that is where they think the ducks will be so who knows. If you want some info PM me and I will get you their number.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 pm

So they charge people for "guided" hunts on public land? Do you remember where you were in Frederica? Sounds like they were the shady ones!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Yea, thats real shaddy!
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby homebrew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:37 am

I thought you needed a guides license to take someone out like that ?
homebrew
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 pm

you do. they might have, but by the sounds of it, i doubt it
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby homebrew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00 pm

I got a friend of mine that is a guide and I'll ask him . Something with this sounds very shady .
homebrew
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Thats shady for sure. Outta curiosity where did they pick you up at.? Creek in Frederica.... Sound like what we call the Shiit plant ditch.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby DE-Duck-n-Goose » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for the response.

Yeah that does sound shifty.
Personally, access to private land and a decent shoot is worth $100.
Being taken to a public blind, and a lottery area at that - not so much.

Sounds like a couple of disgruntled WHC members :)
Those posts are legendary on this forum.
DE-Duck-n-Goose
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:02 pm

DE-Duck-n-Goose wrote:Thanks for the response.

Yeah that does sound shifty.
Personally, access to private land and a decent shoot is worth $100.
Being taken to a public blind, and a lottery area at that - not so much.

Sounds like a couple of disgruntled WHC members :)
Those posts are legendary on this forum

HAHAHA Nice!!
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:24 pm

I met them right off of rt. 1 in Fredrica..just after the first bridge when you exit the highway...there was a small path to drop a boat in. They had me park there and they picked me up in the boat. Took about a five minute boat ride down the river there going under the rt 1 bridge.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby homebrew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Called my friend that's a guide and also a charter captain here in Delaware . He said that odds are they broke a couple different laws doing what they did . First they guided on public ground for profit . Second odds are no guides license . Third no Captains license being they transported you by boat . $100 or not its easier to pay a little bit more to go with someone legit and not on a public blind site .
homebrew
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:49 am

Yup 5min boat ride you were in the shiit plant ditch lol. Can be productive at times, sorry they stiffed ya for 100 bucks but at least you got out and had some shootin.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Ya I mean I guess it was like a $100 boat ride to the blind and rental of their decoys for the morning and a ride back. Lesson learned, but still havent been out since then. Tried getting my buddy to go tomorrow but he is still insisting he is done. Said he is going squirell hunting instead. Worst part is my son will be bugging me all weekend about it. I was hoping to take him Monday cause he is off of school and I have him the extra day this weekend. Hopefully my friend gets some squirell or a deer this weekend so we can get out on Monday.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby deduckin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:19 pm

There are walk in pits and blinds at woodland beach and cedar swamp.... I believe woodland is open on Mondays? Cedar swamp is Tues/thurs/sat? Anyway, you could always get your boy out and hunting by walking in...hunted cedar swamp Saturday and could have gotten away with no duck decoys..had ducks landing in the pond....
deduckin
hunter

Postby Indrid Cold » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:19 am

I have hunted both the pond pits at Cedar Swamp before...I never had a duck land in either of the ponds though...never even saw a duck while I was there at those pond pits.
Indrid Cold
hunter

Postby homebrew » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Not a fan of Cedar or Woodland. Both seem to get a lot of riff raff from points north.
homebrew
hunter

Postby deduckin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:25 pm

homebrew wrote:Not a fan of Cedar or Woodland. Both seem to get a lot of riff raff from points north.

you got that right...... :fingerhead:
deduckin
hunter

Next

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting