Duck boat upgrade time, Xpress 18AWD

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Duck boat upgrade time, Xpress 18AWD

Postby noflyzone518 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 pm

First post!

So the time has come that my passion for duck hunting has outgrown my current rig. (14ft polarkraft MV68, 20hp yamaha) I mainly hunt the upper hudson and mohawk rivers, as well as striper fish the hudson. During late season i need a boat strong enough to break thin ice coats. and one thats shallow enough to float about 1' of water. (surface drive not an option, mind is made up on outboard.)

Those from the area know the hudson river in december and january can be quite frightening. Its channel nearing 45' deep and 300yards wide in some parts, the catskill mountains to the west, and Berkshires to the east creating a windy environment.

Ive been doing alot of research lately on the different MFG'rs. And pretty much narrowed it down to 2 different companies.

Xpress boats: quoted from dealer 15,500 with Foot mount trolling motor.
18 AWD model. 60hp yamaha motor.
link: http://www.xpressboats.com/view/hunting\

Or the war eagle: 17,000 with no trolling motor
17'7 12 degree V hull 50hp motor.
link: http://wareagleboats.com/boats/8/754ldv

Im asking for some advice from people who own or have used one or both. Please keep in mind i will be using this boat for both fishing and duck hunting as well as toying around in the summer.

PS cant figure out the images. im sorry.
Thanks in advance!
noflyzone518
hunter

Re: Duck boat upgrade time, Xpress 18AWD

Postby pwhnts5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Having been in the boat business for many years and owning my own boat company (Phowler) I see alot of used boats come in and out. We were a WE dealer for many years also. Don't think you need a Phowler for what you want to do, though we make a pretty nice MV model that would draft alot less water then either of the boats you are considering. Loaded both those boats will draft 12-14" of water, close to what you are looking for. We also repair and rework alot of customer boats each year. In all our years we have repaired one or two issues with a WE, we see 5-10 Expresses and Lowes each year with cracked stringers and transoms. WE is proud of their stuff, but they do build a very good boat and IMHO their workmanship is much, much better then Express, this is simply based on what we have seen in our shop and what we see with trade in boats that are 3-6 years old.

Hope this helps.

PW
Illowa Marine - Illowa Pro-Drive
Phowler Boat Company
Best Hull Warranty in the Bussiness
http://www.larrysillowamarine.com
http://www.phowlerboatcompany.com
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

Clinton, Iowa 52732 Ph: 563-242-8969
pwhnts5
DHC Sponsor

Postby noflyzone518 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 am

Pwhnts5,
Thanks for the insight! the only thing turning me away from the WE is the max HP of 50. While the Xpress has a max HP of 70. Also like the layout a little bit better on the Xpress. But i have heard the craftsmanship on the WE is slightly better. Also.. Nearest WE dealer is almost 250 miles away, Xpress dealer is only about 110 miles.
noflyzone518
hunter

Postby TnDude85 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 am

I have an 18AWD, however I've had it less than a year. So far I really like it; I've fished out of it and I have also hunted out of it. Handles rough water pretty well, can also get pretty shallow. I have the 70 on mine. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
TnDude85
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

pwhnts5 wrote:Loaded both those boats will draft 12-14" of water

1860MV SeaArk I hunt out of drafts around 8", with a conduit frame hardside blind, 90HP Etec, and gear. My 16ft Xpress with 25HP Yamaha drafts 5". So I'd have to question that statement a little bit.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby noflyzone518 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:26 am

TnDude85 wrote:I have an 18AWD, however I've had it less than a year. So far I really like it; I've fished out of it and I have also hunted out of it. Handles rough water pretty well, can also get pretty shallow. I have the 70 on mine. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

PM Incoming thanks!
noflyzone518
hunter

Postby TnDude85 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:19 am

No problem. :beer:
TnDude85
hunter

Postby gobblenomore » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Got an 1860 lowes that is 4 years old. I had a 50 hp Nissan on it and wasn't happy. Upgraded to a 70hp yamaha and it is perfect for duck hunting or fishing. I can idle along in 1 ft of water.
gobblenomore
hunter

Postby noflyzone518 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:00 am

gobblenomore wrote:Got an 1860 lowes that is 4 years old. I had a 50 hp Nissan on it and wasn't happy. Upgraded to a 70hp yamaha and it is perfect for duck hunting or fishing. I can idle along in 1 ft of water.

Yeah talking with a few people, i will most likely be going with a 70hp. The way i see it is im going to keep this boat for a long time so why not get the max HP and not have to worry.
noflyzone518
hunter

Postby Action » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Not knowing where you live you might want to look at http://www.phowlerboats.com. When purchasing a boat it's hard to compare apples to apples since the structure and design is ultimately what you buy. Phowler is competitive with a higher gauge aluminum and they will customize the boat to how you want it. You mentioned you wanted the highest HP the boat would allow and I was talked out of it and told to save my money. The way Phowlers are set up the water displacement on a 18' boat you are basically sitting on plane so to speak. The weight of the motor doesn't sit the stern down like other boats so getting on plane and popping up out of the hole is a lot easier. I was going to cheapen my purchase also and cheat on a less expensive trailer. Let me tell you Paul talked me out of it and I am glad I listened. You owe it to yourself to give them a call, customized duck boats are their business and making it fishing friendly is also something they do every day. I have been researching boats for 20 years and finally decided this would be the year. Site unseen and talking things over with Paul I was sold on the 1866 with Extreme blind.

Phowler #1-563-242-8969
Action
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds