building a "powered" layout boat/sneak boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

building a "powered" layout boat/sneak boat

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm

This spring and summer I'm tossing around the idea of building a layout/sneak type boat, but has the option of putting a small mudmotor on it.

The thought is something that can be tendered by a big boat and used like a layout. But, also be thrown in the bed of a truck or even trailered if desired, with a longtail for small lakes and ponds...

Would like to see anything that resembles this kind of boat, not too concerned on plans, I think a little brain storming can be done to build it.

Any pictures of something similar mentioned above?
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Re: building a "powered" layout boat/sneak boat

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Pumpgunner on this forum has posted pictures of some thing similar to your idea. It is a sweet boat.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks mark, I saw his larger 14'. I was imagining something half that size, if not a little bigger. Do you recall him building anything close to that?

Thanks
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I have seen a recent post from him about what I recall is a large coffin type. He is a fine craftsman and a great guy. Send him a private note and ask about it.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby Lane » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:06 pm

Like this?
Attachments
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG
Lane
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Mark, I agree. Extremely talented. Thanks for the tip off.

Lane, depending on dimensions, that looks something similar to what I was imagining. Is that a carstens? Or did you build it?

Im thinking something 8-12' in length, around 40" wide, and capable of a small mud motor. I'm thinking I could pull it off where the motor was removable, and could be loaded into a pick up as a poke boat for the marsh. Or, used as a layout in some instances...
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Do you really want to build it? I just got a stealth 1200, and even though I havent had a real great chance to hunt it (due to ice) I really like it. About the same size as what your looking for.

Mark helped me out on some mounts for a motor and some other tips. You may check out his site and watch his video with one of his motors on one.
t_baker
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00 pm

t_baker wrote:Do you really want to build it? I just got a stealth 1200, and even though I havent had a real great chance to hunt it (due to ice) I really like it. Aboutbeine same size as what your looking for.

Mark helped me out on some mounts for a motor and some other tips. You may check out his site and watch his video with one of his motors on one.

Very much so want to build it, at the very least, I would consider buying a small vessel (jon,old sail hull,gheenoe,etc.) And gutt it, but I'd rether build it.

Reasoning being I have ideas I want to incorporate that I havnt seen yet.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Lane » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Jake, it was built right on that table. Its a new hull design from the ones Ive built the last couple years and though all the details are not finalized, I had all the same requirements in mind. The large boat under construction in the background of the photo above will be used as a "tender" or more appropriately transport as well. I rarely use a trailer and almost always hunt by myself, so I remove my motor every time I load up. The tool box in my pickup is flush to the top of the bed so I load motor and gear, shut the gate, and set the boat on top, trans first. Piece of cake
11' 52" beam 16" deep and I don't have enough water time on it yet to determine if the reversed chines are anything more than handles, but they do lower the perceived outline of the boat.
My other design is 14" deep 10'4" and 47" beam with grass rails.
Point is, lots of these type boats are out there and would work well for what you want. Missed Again has plans available that you can use as a base and modifiy to your hearts content.
Lane
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Lane wrote:Jake, it was built right on that table. Its a new hull design from the ones Ive built the last couple years and though all the details are not finalized, I had all the same requirements in mind. The large boat under construction in the background of the photo above will be used as a "tender" or more appropriately transport as well. I rarely use a trailer and almost always hunt by myself, so I remove my motor every time I load up. The tool box in my pickup is flush to the top of the bed so I load motor and gear, shut the gate, and set the boat on top, trans first. Piece of cake
11' 52" beam 16" deep and I don't have enough water time on it yet to determine if the reversed chines are anything more than handles, but they do lower the perceived outline of the boat.
My other design is 14" deep 10'4" and 47" beam with grass rails.
Point is, lots of these type boats are out there and would work well for what you want. Missed Again has plans available that you can use as a base and modifiy to your hearts content.

Saweet lane.

Seems youve nailed the main concept at hand. I'll do some research through the search bar and nose around on it. I already know the weight is what's going to be tricky... As for motor ops I mean.

Thanks again.
Indaswamp wrote:

jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Also check out hybridduckboat.com or PM Missedagain for a hybrid set up. I personally am planning on building a hybrid NL for next duck season. I got the plans from Missedagain and it's a pretty sweet rig. :beer: Good luck on your boat building journey.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 am

Lane wrote:Like this?

Love your work, Lane. Looks beautiful.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Geese: 1
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 42
sharris
hunter

Postby Lane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks sharris, that's what I "saw" when you stiched up the bottom of yours. :lol3: At some point I'll get build pics up, but been waiting on weather here to do some serious water testing before to many pics get posted as I still may change a couple things before I pull a mold from it.
Lane
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

I really, really like that boat Lane. Funny thing is I was thinking about a really similar design last night, a layout boat with a planing hull. Is yours fiberglass or wood? Post some photos of it in use! Really nice job man.
Jake, I'm really interested in a boat like you're describing too-something to fit in the middle between my 12' sneakboat and my gunning box that I built this year. Here's a photo of my 7'6 gunning sled:

I think this spring I'm going to build a Sam Devlin Poleboat to do pretty much the same things you are wanting to do with yours. It's a bit longer than what you're looking for but it's really low profile and I think if I strengthened the back deck a bit it would handle one of Mark Cheney's lightweight mud motors really well. Here is the link on Sam's site: http://store.devlinboat.com/poleboat.aspx
Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Lane,

what is the big boat in back your working on?

Thanks
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby Lane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Pumpgunner, Thanks. It's got a ply core on the bottom and a airex core top. Once I get a mold made, the bottoms will be solid glass.
Bubba, the big boat is my version of a Tolman Jumbo. It's a big water boat.
Lane
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:14 pm

I put a motor on my hybrid. If you search my screen name and Hybrid, you will find the thread where I put the motor mount on.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby codybaker51 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 am

ImageImageImageImage
I built it all myself worked awesome I build custom mud motors like the one in the pic I can make any size you want and will do it for the same price you will find a used one and well under any other new ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
codybaker51
hunter

Postby duckr68 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 pm

im building something like this...
123.jpg
123.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 946 times
duckr68
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds