Hello

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Hello

Postby patrickwellis » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Just found this forum site and joined, I always post on the fuge- but I figure the more sites with information that you can access the better your success. I've got a question for you guys. I've got a zodiac and have been doing quite a bit of scouting this summer already. i've read that some people go to goose bay and hunt. I've been over there from the arm side and it seems like an alright place- and i've found a couple little ponds that i'd like to hunt. But I don't want to get in anyone else's spot. Can u guys let me know how many people go over there, and how they get there. I'm wanting to stay by the inlet and not go in very far. Thanks

Also- how about the eagle river flats? You have to get permission from ft. rich but i know the people to talk to to get that done. Any of you hunt over there? I've been down that way and it looks good but i just don't want it to be to many people over there. Kinda like how rabbit slough is getting. I think i'm giving up on that place, and swan/leaf lake areas and jims creek.

sorry this post is so long- but i've got 2 seasons left here and i plan on hunting 70+ days these next 2 years. Lets get scouting and open this place wide open. We need to reduce california's harvest numbers!
Nationwide waterfowlers pro-staff
patrickwellis
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Welcome to the DHC. I also am over on the 'fuge.

Goose bay does not get too much boat traffic from what I have gathered over the years. There are locals in Knik that hunt from the shore or use the launch trail from the back side of the runway, but that was supposed to be blocked off by the State since locals were using it as a dump rather than a trail. The farms and homes to the north and west of the bay show some trails on Google Earth. Some old coworkers used to go on the west side on ATVs and hunt geese from the shore but they had to tresspass to get there on the trail.

It is a state refuge so it is first come first served for spots. Just be aware of the occasional log in the arm and the drunk at the ramp. I wouldn't mind running over there one day this summer in my BB3, but have yet to make the time for it.

The last time I read the game regulations for Ft Rich there is no waterfowl hunting allowed on base. However, last year someone posted online that they went duck hunting on one of the lakes on base, so maybe the rules have changed since I last had a rec permit.

ER flats have always been off limits due to the UXO out there, so getting permission may be a non issue since it is a formerly used range with live rounds in the mud. The old guy that lives across from me used to be a gunnery sergeant out there and has told me of days in the 1970's when he brought home several snow geese that didn't make it out of the 105 rounds blast radius. Tasty and tender.
AK Ray
hunter

Thanks

Postby patrickwellis » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 pm

I started to think that no one was going to reply to me. i've seen your name on the refuge a couple of times. I actually get to goose bay from ship creek. It's only 10.5 miles up the arm to the mouth, so I figure what the heck. Boat gas is much cheaper than deisel, not per gallon mind you, but the drive is way shorter. I'm used to rabbit slough so I can handle first come first serve. I've got a nice little crew that hunts fair and does our best to be far far away from others.

Ft. rich is trickey, I talked with the biologist over there and he said as long as we were on the north side of the river we were fine. As far as legality the hunter gets a permit from the front gate area, and your good to go. Walking in from base side would be no fun, because of the really steep banks but boating would be a peice of cake- well that is as long as you don't mind hunting until the tide comes to pick your boat back up.

I'm willing to go all the way to little sue this year, I have pretty flexible hours so I can hunt any time of day. I also plan on hunting everyday until freeze up, wonder if I can get 60 days in.
Nationwide waterfowlers pro-staff
patrickwellis
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Good luck with your hunting next year. I can't help you with the area North of town, I just don't ever get out that way. You can definately get the 60 days in. I hunted clear up until the 4th of November last year and probably could have gotten another week or two in if I had really wanted to (fingers were REALLY cold and the ice punched a few small holes in my breathable waders).
akbrett
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting