Vented tunnel or surface drive

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Vented tunnel or surface drive

Postby 887 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:28 pm

I hunt up and down the Chesapeake bay and feeder rivers. Looking at purchasing a new boat and can't decide on the right set up. I have no experience in either one so give the pros and cons. I'm considering a vented tunnel with a prop on a jack plate or a surface drive mud motor. I want the to run skinny when needed but feel safe coming back across open water with a 1-2 foot chop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
hunter

Re: Vented tunnel or surface drive

Postby gearhead80 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Well 1-2 foot chop really wouldn't be a big deal with either in the correct boat. What size boat you running or looking to run? Does speed matter? How far are you running? How deep is it? What kind of bottom? How much load?

I'm a personal fan of a tunnel over a SD. Tunnel with the largest outboard on it will suit a lot more situations IMO than a surface drive. I run a tunnel and I will never own an aluminum boat without one. People can't believe the things it'll do and the places it goes.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:32 pm

gearhead80 wrote:Well 1-2 foot chop really wouldn't be a big deal with either in the correct boat. What size boat you running or looking to run? Does speed matter? How far are you running? How deep is it? What kind of bottom? How much load?

I'm a personal fan of a tunnel over a SD. Tunnel with the largest outboard on it will suit a lot more situations IMO than a surface drive..

Agreed. A tunnel with a decent jackplate will let you get awfully skinny.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 pm

T Man wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:Well 1-2 foot chop really wouldn't be a big deal with either in the correct boat. What size boat you running or looking to run? Does speed matter? How far are you running? How deep is it? What kind of bottom? How much load?

I'm a personal fan of a tunnel over a SD. Tunnel with the largest outboard on it will suit a lot more situations IMO than a surface drive..

As long as you're up on plane, stop on a mudflat with 4" of water and it's a long push...been there, done that. :oops:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:

As long as you're up on plane, stop on a mudflat with 4" of water and it's a long push...been there, done that. :oops:

Yuchi1.. What kind of set up you got? Mine will take off in those conditions pretty well.. Actually I have taken off with the boat on the bottom with a hunting load in the mud leaving a guy with a long tail stuck on a patch of lilies. Should have seen his face.. :eek:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:19 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:

Prop outboards dont belong in 4" of water. :thumbsup:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:49 pm

gearhead80 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:

Yuchi1.. What kind of set up you got? Mine will take off in those conditions pretty well.. Actually I have taken off with the boat on the bottom with a hunting load in the mud leaving a guy with a long tail stuck on a patch of lilies. Should have seen his face.. :eek:

1860 Lowe Roughneck TH with 115HP Johnson jetdrive.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:54 pm

T Man wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:

There are guys running the Bluewave TH's w/prop/jackplate setups on the Gulf Coast flats in water of that depth however, they don't stop on them like I did. Of course, it was muddy water in a new area and the depth finder was showing <1' depth but I just didn't know how much less than 1' it really was. :oops:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Ah, jet explains it.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
T Man wrote:

There are guys running the Bluewave TH's w/prop/jackplate setups on the Gulf Coast flats in water of that depth however, they don't stop on them like I did. Of course, it was muddy water in a new area and the depth finder was showing <1' depth but I just didn't know how much less than 1' it really was. :oops:

Not saying it can't be done, but if shallow running is what you expect to be doing a lot of a Prop is a poor choice given the avaliable alternatives
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 887 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks for the help fellas. 90% of what I'm gonna run is accessible with a prop. It's that 10% that I'm concerned about. I guess my question is this, Are the drawbacks of a surface drive or tunnel while running that 90% worth it in order to get at that 10%?
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 am

887 wrote:Thanks for the help fellas. 90% of what I'm gonna run is accessible with a prop. It's that 10% that I'm concerned about. I guess my question is this, Are the drawbacks of a surface drive or tunnel while running that 90% worth it in order to get at that 10%?

Boats and motors are always a tradeoff. Unless you can afford it, build/buy for what you use the boat for 90% of the time and work around the rest. A tunnel hull with a jackplate will allow you the greatest shallow water ability with a prop outboard though.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby gearhead80 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm

887 wrote:Thanks for the help fellas. 90% of what I'm gonna run is accessible with a prop. It's that 10% that I'm concerned about. I guess my question is this, Are the drawbacks of a surface drive or tunnel while running that 90% worth it in order to get at that 10%?

Can't get much better than only worrying about 10% when it comes to this!!
gearhead80
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 am

No, definitely not. You would be better off to buy a cheap thai mud motor to throw on the transom next to your ob for that 10 percent. Use it just like Walleye fishermen use a smaller ob to back troll.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds