this weather

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: this weather

Postby DuckZapper160 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:36 am

Rolled out of the bed at 3:30 and was at the pond by 4:00, got there early expecting to break ice but the whole pond was wide open. Guess the strong north wind kept it open overnight. Shot 3 right at first light, 2 Gaddy's and a Wigeon. Hardly seen another duck all day. I did see about 100+ flying high and it looked like they had some place to be so I didn't even get a look. I did get 2 flocks of geese drop right in, eneded up shooting 3 out both those flocks. Should have had 3 out of each flock but poor shooting prevented that, plus I was shooting 2's so once they started scattering I think they lost their effectiveness at the greater distance. I consider those a bonus since I hade no goose decoys out and I did'nt call once, they also tried to set down right behind my 5 mojo's which seemed odd. It was a cold SOB out there, I finally pulled my truck into the trees behind my blind, kept it running and would get in it to warm up every 20 to 30 minutes, at this point i didn't care if it flared birds I was cold. The 2 flocks of geese that dropped in eveidentily didn't see it at all. :yes:
STRAP IT DOWN!!
DuckZapper160
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:14 pm

This morning we found numbers of birds beyond comprehension. Wasn't set up on the X at first, but finished a 2 man limit of mallards and pintails without even phasing or bothering the giant masses of ducks gathering in large wads. Also saw boatloads of birds on the drive home.
Gonna set up on the X tomorrow morning, if it hasn't moved again and/or if the water stays open.
I'll post a pic when I get it uploaded.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:15 am

Yesterday
Today. Right side is cut off, but it looks exactly the same as the rest of the picture with 2 more birds. :yes:
35 min 2 man limit today....amazing. Only singles, each one was pretty much a kamikaze bird. It was like going to the skeet range, any distance/type of shot was available, take your pick. :beer:
Conditions are gonna be a little different tomorrow, but we're gonna see how it goes with 5 people.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 am

I bet it gets old shooting pretty mallards. I'll take my gadwalls all day :fingerhead:
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 pm

sooner737 wrote:I bet it gets old shooting pretty mallards. I'll take my gadwalls all day :fingerhead:

Call me crazy but I enjoy shooting gaddies.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:42 pm

If not for gads and wigeon I wouldn't have a duck season. God be with the gads.
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:55 pm

sooner737 wrote:If not for gads and shovelers I wouldn't have a duck season. God be with the gads.

That is the story for me this year. I have shot mallards but not as much compared to the other two.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:09 pm

sooner737 wrote:I bet it gets old shooting pretty mallards. I'll take my gadwalls all day :fingerhead:

Never :yes:
Love watching mallards work the decoys and get right in your face. 10-15 yard shots. One of the ones I killed today was a 50-55yd shot, but it was pretty much just for the hell of it. Shot more ammo than I could've/should've today, but it sure was fun.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Let's see how many tangents I can go on? At least each topic segways to the next.

LOVE grey ducks. Would rather eat a grey than a mallard ANY day. Actually chicken fried some grey breasts last night for dinner. Superb. I save every grey just for chicken frying; don't know why, but greys are the best for this - they even do better for chicken frying than green wings, which I never would have believed.

Green wings get plucked and dressed whole. I roast all my green wings. Best bird for roasting, though redheads come close.

Except for some breasts I save for bacon wrapping finger strips on the grill, all my mallards go to the butcher(s) for processing into various things.

Just dropped some duck off today at a "new" butcher; getting Italian sausage, andouille, green onion links, and chorizo.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Let's see how many tangents I can go on? At least each topic segways to the next.

LOVE grey ducks. Would rather eat a grey than a mallard ANY day. Actually chicken fried some grey breasts last night for dinner. Superb. I save every grey just for chicken frying; don't know why, but greys are the best for this - they even do better for chicken frying than green wings, which I never would have believed.

Green wings get plucked and dressed whole. I roast all my green wings. Best bird for roasting, though redheads come close.

Except for some breasts I save for bacon wrapping finger strips on the grill, all my mallards go to the butcher(s) for processing into various things.

Just dropped some duck off today at a "new" butcher; getting Italian sausage, andouille, green onion links, and chorizo.

We had some baked gadwall breasts with cherry brandy sauce last week, it was wonderful. All gone before I could get a 2nd plate.
My mallard snob attitude has completely to do with shooting them and watching them decoy, and the pretty pictures. I think they're more fun to shoot than teal, not sure why. Something to do with the big splash, and the overhead shots you often get where you can watch them tumble out of the sky.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:My mallard snob attitude has completely to do with shooting them and watching them decoy, and the pretty pictures. I think they're more fun to shoot than teal, not sure why. Something to do with the big splash, and the overhead shots you often get where you can watch them tumble out of the sky.

Agree with you there on shooting them, especially recently watching/shooting at darts of 50 to 100 dropping in at stone throwing range. B-E-A-utiful.

BTW, cormorants make a bigger splash though
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:My mallard snob attitude has completely to do with shooting them and watching them decoy, and the pretty pictures. I think they're more fun to shoot than teal, not sure why. Something to do with the big splash, and the overhead shots you often get where you can watch them tumble out of the sky.

Agree with you there on shooting them, especially recently watching/shooting at darts of 50 to 100 dropping in at stone throwing range. B-E-A-utiful.

Pfft... You ain't seen a splash until you seen a pelican.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

:lol3:

I'll trade ya my cormorant recipie for your pelican one
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

How about the splash on them bald eagles!!! Am I right!!???

Anyone......?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

:lol3:

I'll trade ya my cormorant recipe for your pelican one

PM sent
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:How about the splash on them bald eagles!!! Am I right!!???

Anyone......?

I do enjoy a good eagle steak. We like to fry up some scissor tail poppers for an appetizer.
sooner737
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

I think they're more fun to shoot than teal

: nope, nothing beats a teal buzzing the dekes with a 15 mph tail wind.
While I do love the ease of cleaning mallards, and how steak like they can taste when grilled properly(with a bit of freddies smoke sauce)
I cant help but shutter at the sound of those little speedsters right at LST.
And don't get me started on woodies. :biggrin:

God with the scissor tails again :yes:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Finally someone who shares my love of shooting teal!!!

As for big birds, those pterodactyls make a pretty big splash. Nothing like decoying those suckers! Really respond to calling too!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:I'll trade ya my cormorant recipe for your pelican one

PM sent

PM never received. Ahhhhhh, toying with me again. And I really wanted that pelican recipie. :no:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:I'll trade ya my cormorant recipe for your pelican one

PM sent

PM never received. Ahhhhhh, toying with me again. And I really wanted that pelican recipie. :no:

Thought I had it handy when I said that. Sorry about that. I'll find it in the morning.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 pm

As for big birds, those pterodactyls make a pretty big splash. Nothing like decoying those suckers!

Depleted uranium shot?
micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 am

micneador wrote:
As for big birds, those pterodactyls make a pretty big splash. Nothing like decoying those suckers!

Depleted uranium shot?

Yep. Works pretty good. I get decent patterns out if too. Can't use beryllium anymore due to federal regulation, but I never really liked the stuff anyways. You can still use that on velociraptor and spinosaurus, but I prefer an arrow with a 2 stage broadhead.

I mean the best of them all were the laser guns but they were too effective causing mass slaughter and fear of extinction.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:04 am

You took this to a whole different level.
sooner737
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

sooner737 wrote:You took this to a whole different level.

But I liked where he went with it
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

:bow: :bow: :bow:
micneador
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting