Mixed bag of mergs?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Mixed bag of mergs?

Postby windjammer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm

I have a question for those of you hunt the eastern shore... For 4 years I've been coming up and hunting in Chincoteague, and we've killed some red breasted mergs on hunts both in open water when targeting sea ducks and in backwaters for puddlers. We have yet to see a common merganser... I'm curious, does the range of the commons extend into eastern VA? Or do most of you guys who shoot birds for the chili pot get into only hoods and red breasted mergs?
windjammer
hunter

Re: Mixed bag of mergs?

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 pm

I've seen a few small groups late season but they are certainly not as widely seen as the hooded or red breasted mergs.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby windjammer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Good to know! Is the main difference with hens the reddish hitting gradually becoming white on the neck as opposed to a sharp contrast between red and white on head and neck? Thanks
windjammer
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 am

Never had one of those fish factories in hand to know.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am

COme on down to the princess anne hunt where everyone shoots all varieties of merganzers all day long. You will get the much sought after bag of common, hooded, red breasted and the elusive commorant. Come on down and join the shooting...
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby windjammer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Have gun will travel, are the birds not distinctly different in flight? Is it pretty hard to tell the two species apart when they fly?
windjammer
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 am

Once they are deemed shell duck I look the other way. :lol3: Couldnt tell you to be honest.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting