Any good trainers near Helena?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Any good trainers near Helena?

Postby BigBlueLab » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Anyone know of a good trainer near Helena? I have two young Labs that need work. They both will retrieve, but are a little gun shy.

Thanks,

Don
BigBlueLab
hunter

Re: Any good trainers near Helena?

Postby ten lb test » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 pm

There are no trainers in Helena. Kris Hunt is a trainer in Butte, and Cal Horner may still be training in Bozeman. There is no such thing as a little gun shy. You had better be careful before thes dogs are ruined.
PS We have an active dog club the Helena Valley Gun Dog Club and would be sure to have you avoid having gunshy dogs, but arn't in any position to correct it. You can see our site at <helenagundog.com>, We will be starting training on Sat when it warms up, & training times & places will be posted on the site. You are welcome to come & participate. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I would rather pay a trainer than ruin these dogs. The 16 week old barks at gun fire and backs away, but doesn't mind a dummy launcher that shoots blanks. The 9 mos old male doesn't seem to like anything loud. I have been away in Afghanistan and have not been home to work with them. They both seem very eager to retrieve. Should I not do anything with them at this point? If anyone has contact info for a trainer, I would appreciate it. Does the club start training this Saturday?
Thanks,
Don
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby thesportinglifestyle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am

I'd say get in touch with a trainer and do NOT shoot around them for now. Have fun with them, let them retrieve and let the trainer introduce them to gunfire. There's a method to introducing them to it rather than just shooting around them.
thesportinglifestyle
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Don, most of the serious pros from this part of the country are in AZ,CA,TX this time of the year. We do have quite a few pros in MT Pete only mentioned Krissy in Butte. Eric Fangsrud, Larry Calvert, in the Charlo area. I have been out of the loop the last few years but google search the PRTA sites and you will get a pretty good list.
Please follow Pete's advice about not making the problem worse until you can get with someone that will into to gunfire properly. By his OL name and info he has given, I believe I know him and the man has LOTS of experience with gun dogs.
Teach, Train, Test and Hunt
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will def take it slow and let a pro help me with the gun shyness. Any comments or advice is always welcome and appreciated.

Don
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 pm

We are not training untill the season is over. The club has a small job to do on our main training area and I hope to incorporate a little training. It will probably be Sat the 18th depending on the weather. If you would like call me at 449-3688. I have to know who you are so we can set your dogs up for success. Basicly we let the dog sit in the truck when we start to train & they soon figure out good stuff is going on, we will then extend your dog out to about 100yds. on marks & then use a training pistol at this distance. This is a fool proof method which works with very young puppies. It doesnt require any preparation like banging on pots or dragging the poor dog to a trap range. It makes the dog relate the gunfire todoing what they enjoy. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 am

I always gun broke by giving the dog its food and then popping a .22 blank on the other side of the room and following with praise. Over the course of a few weeks I would work closer and start firing multiples as the pup was eating, eventually getting to the point where I was shooting 4 or 5 blanks standing right over the dog. Once you get that far you incorporate it into some retrieving drills and work in a 20 gauge. Many of my buddies do this and some of them are very serious dog handlers and trainers. This method has never produced a gun shy dog in our experience. Gun breaking is really easy as long as the dog is receptive from the start and hasn't had a bad experience.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby 2point » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm

I train with a gal who has many great dogs and her trainer is Bill Totten of Twin Bridges. It sounds like she has been around many trainers and she speaks very highly of him. It would be about 100 miles from Helena. I would give him a call and you could get some ideas and information on his training programs. Good luck.
2point
hunter

Postby Frenchy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Have you looked into the costs of having someone train your dogs vs. joining a club and diong it yourself?
Frenchy
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting