crock pot goose?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

crock pot goose?

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:16 pm

anyone know a good way to do it. i know of a few but would love to hear different peoples methods. thanks for looking :thumbsup:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Re: crock pot goose?

Postby skydog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I throw in a couple breasts with just a jug of apple juice. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, pour out the juice, mince up the meat and pour in your favorite bbq sauce and let simmer. Makes great sammiches

Other thing I do is cube up the meat (tiny pieces the better) and make chili. Same thing cook on low 6-8 hours...most chili recipes say to 'brown' the meat on the frying pan before throwing it in the chili crock pot. This toughens up the goose meat too much for me so I just throw it in raw and let it slow cook. Let me know if you need a chili recipe.
skydog
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Confit.

Blows all other goose recipes away...

EXCEPT for Bird Junkie's goostrami. That's a close second.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

Had crock pot goose once....it was about as good as you would expect......the best and only way I like it is to make jerky outta it. Hard to tell the difference between goose and deer jerky.
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 pm

I was searching for the very same thing about a week ago and I found this recipe, from our very own Swampbilly!

.....I take the skinned breasts and add a package of Onion soup/dip (dry powdered) with the water with 1/2 a cut up onion. I let it cook on low for about 6-8hrs,..then add carrots, new potatos, celery, mushrooms, and the other half of the onion and let her rip for another few hrs. or untill the vegetables are done. Use the juice from the pot and either mix with some Pillsbury gravy thickener or an onion gravy pack and eat it as a roast,..with some nice Grand flakey bisquits ,..makes a puppy pull a frieght train.

I made it this past weekend, minus the biscuits and gravy thickener. It's just like a beef pot roast, only with goose. I loved it, and so did my guests. My first time using a slow cooker, and I am hooked. It's way too easy to just throw everything in there, let it go all day, and come home to an awesome meal.
va marsh rat
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:31 pm

i make gumbo, with some shrimp or chicken thrown in, thicken it with a rue and cajun seasoning
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:i make gumbo, with some shrimp or chicken thrown in, thicken it with a rue and cajun seasoning

now that sounds great! have mine marinating in soda with salt pepper and cajun spice...."yes yes, mr robertsons spice" :grooving:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 am

I'm telling yall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eng_3c3XFxw

Shoot some birds, hang them and then make duck confit like the video shows. Goose legs and thighs may be the best for this recipe that I have used.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 am

:hi: For many years,I have used a recipe that is ALMOST the same as "swampbilly".First, place FROZEN,skinless,goose breasts into crockpot and then add:1> can of Campbells Golden Mushroom soup,1>can of Campbells Cream of Celery soup,1>can of Campbells French Onion soup...DO NOT ADD WATER.Cook on low for 6-8 hrs.Serve with wild rice on the side and use the mixed soups as a sauce over the goose.Personnally,I like a chilled Chardonnay with it but a red wine is ok too.JUST DECIDED WHAT I AM HAVING FOR DINNER TONITE :yes: :yes: !!!
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 am

I tenderized and thin sliced a half dozen breasts, marinated in Sriracha and worstershire sauce for a day then batter in house of audry and fried it on the wood stove at deer camp last week. Was phenonimal. Love tricking the old guys that say "Ill never eat goos, its way too greasy". When you fill them in on what they just ate, they give you that cornfused look lol.... :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby BirdDogRip » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Confit is always good if you can get the duck fat. Gourmet dude!

My stand bys..... :thumbsup: :hammer: :beer:

Hindquarters: crock- covered in redwine, several slices of bacon, minced garlic and worchester.

skinless Breast: marinate 1 hour (no more) in soy, fish and oyster sauce, minced garlic, and chinese five spice. Grill on high for 4 minutes on each side or to a rare or midrare (no more). Let sit foil covered 5 minutes, slice thin across grain. Serve this to anyone from age 2 up and the biggest doubters and they'll love it. Use this for your tougher venison pieces (sirloin tips) as well.

Smoked (then crocked if you want real tender). Use the same marinade as above before smoking. Do what you want with it done, bbq, pulled etc..
(this is a skin on bird and deboned whole except the wings and hind quarters) Best skin taste ever if eaten before crocked) Do the same for ducks but skip the crock. My 8 and 11 year old claim it tastes better than bacon. Now that saying soming.
p.s. hickory, apple and pecan wood chips. This is a side box smoker and smoked for 8 hours, min 6.

Frozen Birds over 1 year: Debone and put through the grinder with good beef fat (just like venison). Use ground goose for anything you'd use ground beef for, burgers, spaghetti, tacos they're all good.

Goose meat stick are good too.
When I retire I will be waterfowl hunting all the best places in the world. Golfing is for those who lack vision and it's a pure waste of time and money. Want help planning financially for your duck hunting future? Send me a PM.
BirdDogRip
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 am

va marsh rat wrote:I was searching for the very same thing about a week ago and I found this recipe, from our very own Swampbilly!

.....I take the skinned breasts and add a package of Onion soup/dip (dry powdered) with the water with 1/2 a cut up onion. I let it cook on low for about 6-8hrs,..then add carrots, new potatos, celery, mushrooms, and the other half of the onion and let her rip for another few hrs. or untill the vegetables are done. Use the juice from the pot and either mix with some Pillsbury gravy thickener or an onion gravy pack and eat it as a roast,..with some nice Grand flakey bisquits ,..makes a puppy pull a frieght train.

I made it this past weekend, minus the biscuits and gravy thickener. It's just like a beef pot roast, only with goose. I loved it, and so did my guests. My first time using a slow cooker, and I am hooked. It's way too easy to just throw everything in there, let it go all day, and come home to an awesome meal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I swear, it's so easy a cave man can do it Va. :hi:

Ya'll should try some "Goose poppers"-
Slice the breast meat into thin pieces-(1/8-1/4" thick).
Marinate for a couple hours in Allegro marinade sauce.
afterwards-
Stick a jalepeno pepper slice and a piece of cream cheese on each individual piece and roll 'em up. Wrap a half of piece of bacon around it and tooth pick it so it'll stay on.

Get 'em on the grill with some mesquite chips. (Works best if you put good Renolds Wrap non stick on the grate and poke holes in it)
They'll make 'ya slap your mammy :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BigMac2010 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:30 am

A chipotle barbacoa ripoff is the only way to go. Crock pot the goose and then shred, return to crock pot with a can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo and let it go a few hours :thumbsup: .....instant barbacoa! Eat on tortillas with all the stuff that you like...good stuff!
BigMac2010
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting