Outdoor Festivals

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Outdoor Festivals

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Hey guys does anyone know where I could go to test out some new calls besides a store like Cabelas? I miss the Ducks Unlimited festival that use to be in Oshkosh and I am in the market for a new goose call but I have no idea what call would work the best for me. Any information would help!
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Re: Outdoor Festivals

Postby dfrauenkron » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Game Fair, Anoka MN 2 weekends in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:26 pm

I went there once and it no DU :fingerpt: but I would go again. That was the last time I talked with Tom Knaap. One hell of a gentleman and then he told me how Benelli screwed him when he was sick. For that reason alone I will not EVER own one.
Now to Game Fair,
You can see some calls, lots of dogs and lots of dogs. I just thought there was to many Politicians there.
If you were running for dog catcher you has a booth.
Yes it's very hard to buy a high end call just on name alone, but Oshkosh had all the BIG BOYS there. You could try any one of them and they would have been glad to help you on your choice.
Good luck on your quest but be wise with you money too :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah when I went I was only 14 or 15 years old so now that I am working and can afford some of the really sweet toys they no longer have the festival. I looked at the list of calls at the other festival and there are some decent call companies but not many of the big ones. Its too bad that nothing is around like the old great outdoors.
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

If I was correct at Oshkosh there was 10k in cash for the calling contest. That will bring in the Top Row of callers in for sure.
I met Phil there one year, way before all that $$$$$ hit the family.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah I did too, I was 14 at the time and thought to my self what is wrong with this guy he must not leave the swamp to often. I can remember to this day him say "Boy what you lookin for?" Now I wish I would have talked a little more to him. I also went to Echo and bought a call that they engraved my name into the band for nothing. It is something I will have forever. I shot my first drake mallard with a type of banding system that was apparently a zip tie. Then the RNT boys convinced me to look at their Daisy Cutter which was their new call that year and I have been hooked on RNT since.
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 pm

not sure if cabelas still does it but the store down by west bend used to do a waterfowl weekend never went to it but i know people that have and said it was pretty good. I thought that was held sometime in August
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey Ducks+bucks ....!!!!! I also stopped at Echo calls and bought a call from him and he engraved my call the same way :smile:
It's my best Mallard call I got. :yes:
If you were 14 or 50 years old, that was cool.. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby DuckDogCo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Try www.Pheasantfest.org Feb 14-16 in Milwaukee - I know it isn't outdoors, but there will be vendors there selling calls.
DuckDogCo
Newb

Postby goosie119 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Ducks&bucks14 wrote:Yeah I did too, I was 14 at the time and thought to my self what is wrong with this guy he must not leave the swamp to often. I can remember to this day him say "Boy what you lookin for?" Now I wish I would have talked a little more to him. I also went to Echo and bought a call that they engraved my name into the band for nothing. It is something I will have forever. I shot my first drake mallard with a type of banding system that was apparently a zip tie. Then the RNT boys convinced me to look at their Daisy Cutter which was their new call that year and I have been hooked on RNT since.

I bet I talked to Phil for an hour that one year talking duck hunting and bouncing questions off him. He wasn't put off by some young kid bothering him, and even remembered me by name the following year!
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 am

Game fair is a great time. Many call manufacturers are in attendance. Can definitely try out almost all of them. Come visit me in the calef calls booth next yr!
kris brantner
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting