Anyone Been To Deale Island Recently?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Anyone Been To Deale Island Recently?

Postby CCC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:08 am

It has been 10+ years since I hunted Deale Island Impoundement. I also heard that they now have an electric motors only requirement. Any success there lately? Is it worth the 3 hour drive?" Thanks.
Last edited by CCC on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCC
Newb

Re: Anyone Been To Deale Island Recently?

Postby Montauker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:59 am

Several new regs including limitation on days.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Publiclands/eastern/dealisland.asp

I don't hunt there but from what I have heard it is no where near as good as it used to be. It is also probably frozen right now.
Montauker
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 am

i hunted there on the late opener per a lottery hunt. My suggestion if you go, is to take a kayak or canoe. Youll be much more versatile in the places you can park and put in, and where you can get to. Its electric motors only, and the only places you can launch a boat are so covered in grass and shallow water, that a trolling motor powered jon boat isnt worth the amount of times you have to get in and out to push it through the mud.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 am

I hunted there about four years ago. We got there and set up, and it sounded like there were a thousand ducks all around us. We sat till noon, and saw one lone goose about a mile away.
I've heard that place used to be loaded with ducks, then the place got flooded or something. Salt water killed all the food maybe?
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 am

I think Deale is the eastern shore version of Mckees for the western MDers. It looks great when the season is closed, and some birds are there. But they learn quick to fly high, and head out of the marshes before LST and not come back til after LST. Sure you can scratch out a few here and there if you go to the hard to get to spots, but its not what all the old timers tell me stories about how it used be.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby quackjacker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Frozen solid and very few birds if the weather warms up and the ice melts some birds will move in numbers sure to be small mud is very bad and shallow water makes it tough to navigate even in a canoe in most areas bird numbers are definitely down compared to past years lots of mergansers though if you like fish ducks best beat would be to hunt outside the impoundment were you have the opportunity to take divers and a occasional puddle duck
TAKING IT TO THE LIMIT EITHER BY MYSELF OR WITH A FRIEND
quackjacker
hunter

Postby CCC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info fellas, you saved me a long ride for what sounds like a hard hunt. I'll try some other options instead.
CCC
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting