Where are the ducks?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Where are the ducks?

Postby black_duck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Where are the ducks? it sounds like no one is killing ducks anywhere in this flyway. I have contacts in Maryland, SC, Virginia and Maryland and all of them have been having below average seasons. We had a good early season but haven't killed much since the main season came in. I figured that everything would change during this big front but I hunted yesterday and today and didn't see much at all. I think that DU BS's their spring counts and that we had a poor duck production because of the late spring. :huh:
black_duck
hunter

Re: Where are the ducks?

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Has been one of my best seasons in years. Shooting teal and pintails in Oct, good numbers of scoters, divers, wood ducks, bald plates, and spoonies through Nov, Dec has been strong until this front with mallards, blacks, wood, and teal. Blackheads, reds, cans, and bufflehead are here now and for the taking.
Haven't kept up with numbers this year, but my daughter told me Saturday when I came home and was picking ducks that I'd better stop killing them all or all the little boys or girls wouldn't have any to shoot when they are older :devil:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Plenty of birds around but I'm not finding them where I traditionally do. It took me a good bit of scouting to do so but I'm glad I did
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:56 pm

trigger22 wrote:Plenty of birds around but I'm not finding them where I traditionally do. It took me a good bit of scouting to do so but I'm glad I did

This. I haven't been able to hunt as much as I would like, but from now until the end of the season I'll be hunting 4-5 days a week trying to put a bright spot on what has been a rough season for me.

Glad some people are getting into them.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Doing good down here in georgia!

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:48 pm

If you do this enough you will know every year is different. Some hunters, and I am saying this with respect, like EastBound have been doing this long enough and have learned from past experiences so they will kill ducks no matter what. They know where the ducks like to be and they find a way to get to those spots. I talked with a friend recently who has a great spot in Hyde county. Since the third split they have had very few ducks. In a completely different direction in the same county we have been killing limits on almost every hunt. We could be slow the last couple of weeks and my friend's spot could heat up. to keep killing ducks just keep scouting, be flexible to hunt weather events, and be patient.

what are you guys seeing with this cold snap? I am not going to be able to scout until Friday, did the birds leave and have new birds come in?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

I haven't been around here since the front, but my buddys haven't seen anything new. We'll be headed back up around hyde fri/sat..higher hopes up there.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

HydeMarsh wrote:what are you guys seeing with this cold snap? I am not going to be able to scout until Friday, did the birds leave and have new birds come in?

Mallards, teal, and woods have packed their backs and hit the road around the house
Have heard the puddle duck numbers have pick up around Matt
I will personally know what the divers are doing in a few hours
No telling what the weekend will bring with the warm up :huh:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 am

My swamp has officially froze over. Still had some open water yesterday but its all froze up today. Saw a few birds come out of it yesterday nothing today.
jcz
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 am

Hundreds of mallards and gadwall this morning. Along with some black ducks and a pintail. Not many woodies. Has anyone hears of anyone killing ringers? Havent heard much about them this year
NCfowl
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 am

Slayed the ringers in November in a couple of different places, missed a pair yesterday. Hadn't seen big numbers lately, but some still around. Plenty of ducks around though, that's for sure!!! :thumbsup:
creekcaptain
hunter

Postby black_duck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 pm

NCfowl wrote:Hundreds of mallards and gadwall this morning. Along with some black ducks and a pintail. Not many woodies. Has anyone hears of anyone killing ringers? Havent heard much about them this year

Slayed the ringers Friday and Saturday 3 man limits both days but those have been my only good hunts of this season
black_duck
hunter

Postby johnpaul » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I have seen more ducks around home than any other year. Not really limiting out but were doing a good number on Mallards, gadwall, and teal this year. More gadwall than i have ever seen!

Seems to me the cold fronts have helped, cold from comes in and a day or to later good amount of ducks, hunt them a couple times and then gone. and then repeat! lol
johnpaul
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Good numbers of divers still around after the front. This morning couple of each of reds, cans , and bufflehead. Plenty of ducks around, just need some wind to kick them up and make them fly. Also had a pair of long tail ducks do a fly by but stayed well out of gunning range.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby DuckJames » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Tried it out the last couple of days. Birds are definitely not acting normal, but that's expected with the weather we've had. Seems like this season has been average for my area. More sporadic than anything, really good days one week, really bad the next. Best of luck finishing your season
DuckJames
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:54 pm

NCfowl wrote:Hundreds of mallards and gadwall this morning. Along with some black ducks and a pintail. Not many woodies. Has anyone hears of anyone killing ringers? Havent heard much about them this year

Last 3 trips I've killed mainly ringers
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Killed a limit each of the last 3 mornings. 3 of the best hunts I've ever had in NC. Season is over for me though! You boys have fun! :hi:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 pm

DuckMauler wrote:Killed a limit each of the last 3 mornings. 3 of the best hunts I've ever had in NC. Season is over for me though! You boys have fun! :hi:

Since your season is over how about telling us where your limit was taken so we can get ours. :biggrin:
jcz
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Lake higgins, Lake brandnt and Salem lake :thumbsup:

But seriously, Lake Hickory :grooving:
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 pm

jcz wrote:
DuckMauler wrote:Killed a limit each of the last 3 mornings. 3 of the best hunts I've ever had in NC. Season is over for me though! You boys have fun! :hi:

Since your season is over how about telling us where your limit was taken so we can get ours. :biggrin:

Already on top of that :biggrin:
Got to get in the network
Give some info get some info :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:
jcz wrote:

That's the name of the game.... When we going anyways?
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 pm

DuckMauler wrote:Lake higgins, Lake brandnt and Salem lake :thumbsup:

But seriously, Lake Hickory :grooving:

I found your corn pile! :grooving:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 pm

I was sure I was going to get some gps number to lake gaston.
jcz
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 am

trigger22 wrote:
EastBound&Down wrote:
jcz wrote:

That's the name of the game.... When we going anyways?

What you looking for---reds and cans or blackheads and puddlers?
Pulling out tonight to head to duckmaulers spot at Lake Hickory
Got a full crew the next couple of days
Going back next thurs-tues if you want to drop in for a hunt or 2? Can put you up in the hunting camp, feed you oysters, force you to drink beer, and maybe shoot a duck or 2
Let me know
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 am

Sounds like life will be hard, I will give you a call. I hope you hammer them this weekend, it should be good
trigger22
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting