Beaver pond question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Beaver pond question

Postby Jasonsfd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 pm

I hunt a beaver pond maybe 5-6 acres. It has some age to it, so the standing timber has fallen or dead. The ducks pile in at first light for about an hour or so and then it slows down. I have tried anything from a couple of decoys to a dozen with and without spinners. Had 2 good hunts and now I'm having a hard time getting the ducks in shooting distance. Need some advice. I have considered just hunting from the boat. Thanks
Jasonsfd
hunter

Re: Beaver pond question

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

how often do you hunt it? you might be over hunting it, you have to let it rest between hunts.

also your hide could need to be better, or move it around the lake. I'd stick with very few decoys on that pond.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Jasonsfd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:34 pm

I go maybe once a week. No pressure on the pond now that deer season is out. And that was only someone taking a stand when the dogs were turned out. I think I'm going to try the boat up behind some brush in the middle or move around. Thanks. Could be better concelement or too many decoys? Idk
Jasonsfd
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 am

Ducks can be head aches. Sometimes they are on a mission no matter what you do you arent going to entice them to where you want them. Is there another big body near by they are going to? If so dont knock yourself too hard. Make sure you are concealed pretty good. I have found that we typically over do concealment, our group that is. Other than that Id stay off in the afternoons and as you say maybe a hunt/week unless you're in a major flyway. Go in there once no calling maybe a couple decoys on a jerk string if the water is calm and see what that does. Good luck
jstewart_1981
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting