Howdy from Oklahoma

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Howdy from Oklahoma

Postby Beakbuster55 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi guys!

I've duck hunted most of my life in Oklahoma and I'm looking at possibly attending college in Pennsylvania this fall. I thought I'd drop in and ask how the hunting is over there. If anyone is from the Midwest, what ways is the hunting different? Not looking for y'all to tell me all your secret spots, just interested in how the hunting is and in what ways it can be different!

Thanks,
BB55
Beakbuster55
Newb

Re: Howdy from Oklahoma

Postby Joe fitz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 am

just depends on where you move to in pa. its a great state but its getting too built up making places to hunt few and far between in certain areas compared to most states so once you get your good shooting spot you keep it real quiet. where about are you looking to go to school?
Joe fitz
hunter

Postby Beakbuster55 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am

Carnegie Mellon, around Pittsburgh
Beakbuster55
Newb

Postby don novicki » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm

As long as you have limited expectations you should be ok. ......................... :biggrin:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Being your from the mid-west... don't expect much at all. It wont take you long to realize how PA truly is. Its not a good state... I don't care what anyone says. Its over hunted, built up, the laws stink (no mojos, or unplugged shotguns in the spring conservation snow goose season???) etc...

Yes, there are and CAN be good opportunities, but im speaking for the overall population and the state in and of itself. Essentially, I am comparing this state with the mid-west and so forth. This state lacks bird numbers and has more hunters than anyone could ever imagine. If your willing to literally put everything you have into the sport then by all means go ahead... but being out of state and not familiar with the lay out of the land, you are going to have a lot of trouble, especially here in the great old state of Pennsylvania.

Again, people do well... don't get me wrong... but they work their a**es off for it... limits are far and few between for ducks and take a lot of effort. The goose hunting is pretty decent but again, competition plays a huge roll!

Goodluck and be safe!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:32 pm

You are headed for the worst duck hunting area of Pa. and Pa. is not a good duck state. You will have to travel a good ways to get into any ducks. Late season you can get some on the rivers but it is hard to find any areas that are legal to shoot because it so built up on the rivers. The better duck hunters in the area average about 2 ducks a day on the western side of Pa.
There is a good amount of resident geese in that area though. But little to no migration of geese.

Sorry about the bad news, just being honest.

But if you put in the effort you can have some good days.

contact me when you get into town and I can help you find some of the hunting areas around.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby 001kds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Beakbuster55 wrote:Carnegie Mellon, around Pittsburgh

It sucks here. There are no birds. Don't even bother bringing your gear. JK. But it does suck compared to where you are from. And lay off the booze and dope when you get to CMU. I have to deal with all those medical calls for drunk freshman every year when they leave home for the first time.
Traveling North America chasing the migration and making memories one shotshell at a time! KDS
001kds
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting