duck hunter dies

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

duck hunter dies

Postby golferboy426 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 am

Hope he wasn't one of "us" on the forum. Sad story, hard to imagine how it happened as supposedly it was 8 am when the boat capsized. Regardless of how, cold water kills quickly so be careful out there.
golferboy426
hunter

Re: duck hunter dies

Postby NortherPride » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 am

is there a link to an article or anything?
NortherPride
hunter

Postby cutemalljack860 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am

Well I don't think it madders weather they were from this stupid site or not we lost two brothers that loved the sport its a sad day my there skies be filled with waterfowl sincerely yours nick walden
cutemalljack860
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 am

Nick, of course it matters, at least to me. It's bad regardless but if it is someone you know personally even on an anonymous site it hits harder

Link
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/01 ... -accident/
golferboy426
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 am

golferboy426 wrote:Hope he wasn't one of "us" on the forum. Sad story, hard to imagine how it happened as supposedly it was 8 am when the boat capsized. Regardless of how, cold water kills quickly so be careful out there.

it is not hard to imagine.... if you have been out in rough weather... and the motor dies..... you will know right away how EASILY it can happen.

25 knot winds.....a boat that could have been over ladened...I say could, only to , once the boat is floundering....it can roll easily.... even in 3 foot seas..... looking at the bay they were in, it is hard to imagine very big waves.... so its possible the boat had motor problems. I know I had motor problems in a 16 foot boat once and I was in the back leaning over the stern working on the issue, when both my buddies came back to take a look too!!!!... I happen to looked back at the transom from looking at the motor9 with the cover off) and I NOTICE, the top of the transom is UNDER WATER!!.... the other guys didn't notice..... that's how fast it happens....10 seconds of that , and then ther eis too much water in the boat.....add in 30 mph winds......

and you realize how EASY it is to happen.

please realize in the late winter when the tmeps drop like this.... deadly situations are so close all day long.... that's why you NEVER leave your hunting buddies on a rock or island that goes under at high tide and go out to chase a cripple, if you cant row back to that spot, if your motor dies!!

stay safe

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 pm

I knew one of the victims who was from CT very well and we often hunted together. Ironically he was a Navy Vet that had traveled the world as a Submariner under the oceans.

Please keep him, the other two waterfowlers, and their families and friends in ye thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby NortherPride » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 pm

This is terrible, my prayers to their families
NortherPride
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 am

Awful and saddening story.

Irish - I'm sorry for your loss and the loss to the families. They will be in my thoughts.

Safe wishes to all over the rest of the season.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

UGADawg wrote:Awful and saddening story.

Irish - I'm sorry for your loss and the loss to the families. They will be in my thoughts.

Safe wishes to all over the rest of the season.

UGADAWG,
Thanks mate! Hunt safely All?

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:28 pm

http://quinebaugkennels.com/news/mourni ... rob-becher
Here is a link to quinebaugh kennels, they had some nice things to say about one of the duck hunters.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm

The guide I was out with that day knew one of the fellows too, so it was very sobering. We speculated that the ice may have contributed to the tragedy.

And we broke a bracket on one of his engines just as we got out to the hunting area, so scrubbed the morning hunt immediately. He's a merchant seaman and showed good judgement given the wind and temperature; we didn't complain or think for a moment he was being too cautious. And we hunted the afternoon for a limit just by sunset.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting