Stock question

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stock question

Postby Shotgunner12 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a mossberg 535 and it fits me pretty good when i am wearin a t-shirt in dove season or a light jacket like during early duck season. But now late season cold temps have hit and i am wearin bigger jackets my gun hangs on my jacket when i bring it up. Its aggravating. Is this just something i will have to practice through or could i benefit from about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch being cut off? If i might need to cut it off is there any tips on cutting it?
Hand me some more shells!
Shotgunner12
hunter

Re: Stock question

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:15 am

If your nose is further than ~ 1 1/2" from your thumb knuckle (when the gun is mounted) you may have a stock (length of pull) that is too long and will affect pointability. A shorter recoil pad can sometimes alleviate the situation and would consider such before cutting anything down.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Had the same problem with my slug gun, so I took 1" off the stock. No more hang ups under my armpit when wearing winter hunting jackets.
Scribed a cut line on the stock at work with a height gage/surface plate. Band saw then disk grinder to the scribe line, installed a good recoil pad.
Picture shows original recoil pad, the 1" cut away and aftermarket pad.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Decide how much you need to cut. Probably 1/2" or less. Use pieces of masking tape and tape a cut line all around the butt stock evenly. Do 3 layers. Remove the butt stock and take to a gunsmith or woodwork shop that has a bandsaw. Have them cut off the stock even with the edge of the tape. Reinstall the pad. You may want to dress down the pad flush with the stock before removing the masking tape.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum