Home and ready! Fishing Bay here we come!

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Home and ready! Fishing Bay here we come!

Postby bigblue0827 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm home from deployment to the big sand box and ready to get on the water! I'm going to take my brother in law down and see if we can get him on a diver, he has never killed one. I am going to Fishing Bay. Anybody having luck there this year? Any tips?

Good luck to everyone stay safe and shoot straight!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
bigblue0827
hunter

Re: Home and ready! Fishing Bay here we come!

Postby Ruination » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Always ducks around fishing bay. Just get out real early if its the weekend. Good luck.
Ruination
hunter

Postby firsttimer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 am

Welcome home and thank you for your service. Glad you made it back safe. Now go slay em!!!
firsttimer
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am

motor or paddle?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Motor this time.. 16' Jon with a boat blind. I have a kayak and see you doing a lot of paddling. I would love to try that style of hunting. I have a Emotion Mojo, pretty big boat so could carry a decent amount of gear, and I paddle with my retriever pretty often.

Have you hit fishing bay at all this year? Do you paddle and jump shoot or set up in the marsh?
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Good luck.. a lot of the bay has ice on it right now and last week mosy of the actual bay in fishing bay completely iced over.. have a backup plan. The ice may ruin your plans
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:31 pm

bigblue0827 wrote:Motor this time.. 16' Jon with a boat blind. I have a kayak and see you doing a lot of paddling. I would love to try that style of hunting. I have a Emotion Mojo, pretty big boat so could carry a decent amount of gear, and I paddle with my retriever pretty often.

Have you hit fishing bay at all this year? Do you paddle and jump shoot or set up in the marsh?

i set up in the marshes down there, or go into the open water and hunt divers from my layout. marshes are hard to hunt when it is this cold, but if the tides are decent the ice breaks free. open water might be scary with all the ice and the winds down there.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

I am expecting the ice to be gone by late tomorrow, early Saturday. Looks like warm weather and rain on the way. I will call down tomorrow evening and get a report from the guys are the WMA, they are pretty helpful.

If anyone else has weather / ice updates I would really appreciate it.
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm

bigblue0827 wrote:I am expecting the ice to be gone by late tomorrow, early Saturday. Looks like warm weather and rain on the way. I will call down tomorrow evening and get a report from the guys are the WMA, they are pretty helpful.

i would plan on ice in the bay, not the backwater channels. good luck.

and dont pull off the road-you will get stuck. for 5 hours. and your truck will be at a 30 degree angle and you will have to sit in your truck in your long johns and leave your waders outside the cab. :fingerpt: ahhhhh. memories... :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 am

bigblue0827 wrote:I am expecting the ice to be gone by late tomorrow, early Saturday. Looks like warm weather and rain on the way. I will call down tomorrow evening and get a report from the guys are the WMA, they are pretty helpful.

The bay still was still covered yesterday evening. What makes you think the tidal ponds of fishing bay will be clear. Just because it warms up for a few days dosnt mean pack ice is going to magically melt. But like I said good luck
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am

What gave me that impression was a.) talking to the guys at the WMA and b.) looking at the ice reports here http://www.uscg.mil/d5/ICE_REPORT/

I certainly appreciate you chiming in! Good to hear from people that are seeing it with their own eyes.

Best of luck to everyone.
bigblue0827
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting