What boat/ motor do you use on the upper potomac?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

What boat/ motor do you use on the upper potomac?

Postby Skeet123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Looking to buy a used boat for the upper Potomac and was curious on what others are using? Looking to upsize from what I have now for late winter conditions.

Length, Width, Motor and type, weight capacity.
Skeet123
hunter

Re: What boat/ motor do you use on the upper potomac?

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 am

id reccomend between a 16 and 18 ft flat bottom or mod V depending on how many people you intend on hunting with. Type of motor is going to be your main concern. You want between a 20 and a 50. If you go with a prop, youll want a rock gaurd. Jets are nice, but in the fall leaves can clog it up, and the winter like right now, slush and ice can get in there and make life difficult. Its all about where youre hunting though. Its important to watch the water gauges on the river and know what the spots youre going to look like when the river is at such and such a level. I usually pull my kayaks out when the river falls below 3 ft in the interest of not destroying my boats and motors. If its about 7 ft, I typically dont venture out on the river except in the slow deep water, and even then you have to watch out for trees coming down to take out your decoys and anchor line. If the river is indeed above 7 ft, that usually means we have had a lot of rain, and fields are flooded which usually offers a better and safer hunt anyways.

My one boat is a 16 ft V bottom with a 35hp prop mercury. Its the faster of my 2 boats, but it sits deeper in the water. If I know the river is high or im hunting deeper water, it cuts through current better and gets me to spots faster. My other boat is a 1660 mod V with floatation pods, and a hydraulic jack plate on the 25 hp prop mercury. Thats a much stabler boat, it doesnt sit in the water very deep at all, and between the rock gaurd, and the hydraulic plate, and the floatation pods, I can run in about 6 inches of water. Its nice to be able to raise and lower the motor depending on how much water there is so you dont bang off rocks.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

I would say it really depends on how you want to use the boat and like PSUbuzz mentioned the number of hunters and gear. Myself and a few buddies all run jet motors on anything from a 14ft to 17ft mod v jon boat. I use the boat year round and we have found this to be the best package. We also like to run below Seneca creek, which is a little shallower then going up river towards Edwards and the Monocacy. You will need to have some patience with a jet in the ice and high river grass times of the year, blasting around in a few inches of water comes with some sacrifices. In the winter time, I see a ton of guys using a jon boat with around a 25 hp outboard and they seem to get along very well. I have a 17 ft mod v SC with a 40 HP mercury prop I was going to put on the market in the spring if you are looking for something in that size. I guess it all comes down to what you are looking to spend and what time of the year you will be using the river the most. Jon boats, jets, surface drives, canoes with small outboards, you see them all out on the upper Potomac and much like the translating the bible you will get a ton of opinions on which one is the best. Thanks :thumbsup:
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm

I run a 16 ft flat bottom with a 25hp Gator-tail surface drive. It gets the job done. It is not fast, but when running the skeg only run about 6-8 inches under the bottom of the boat. I never have to worry about grass during early season. I have a rock skeg and have hit some good ones this year. My motor just bounces up a little and I keep going. If you want to come out for a test run let pm me.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks Cajun that is mighty kind of you. I sent you a pm.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby BigTerp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 am

I have a 1648 modV with a 50/35 2-stroke Johnson jet. Does REALLY well on the part of the potomac that I run (Washington County). It does have a tendency to get clogged up, but in my experience it only happens when I'm sitting around idling in shallow water. Never seems to plug up when at speed. I can comfortably and safely carry 3 guys, 4 full bags of decoys, hunting gear and 12 gallons of gas. Can run in just inches of water and get about 22mph with the mentioned load. If you end up with any sort of setup that lets you run shallow, weither it be a jet, surface drive, etc. I highly reccommend going with a stick steer setup. Mine is setup so the captains seat is up past the middle of the hull. Lets me see out in front much better than sitting in the back with a tiller or steering wheel. PSU had some good advice for keeping your eye on the gauges. I'm constantly looking at gauges around my area. I actually have a google drive document setup that, among other things, I keep notes on river level and flow volume in relation to where I can and shouldn't go each time I go out. Really helpfull.
BigTerp
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Ended up going with 16 mod v with a 60/40 jet.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby rxcrider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Skeet123 wrote:Ended up going with 16 mod v with a 60/40 jet.

Same set up I have it wells well on the upper potomac, enjoy.
rxcrider
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks. It is a stick with driver seat in the front of the boat. It will need to be painted because it is aluminum.
Skeet123
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting