do you shoot better with a pump than a auto

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

do you shoot better with a pump than a auto

Postby Skeet123 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I know I do and I use a lot less shells. What's your experience?
Skeet123
hunter

Re: do you shoot better with a pump than a auto

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:14 pm

no I shoot better with an Auto. If I cripple a bird I have a better chance of shooting it again
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm

I shoot really close to the same with my Maxus as I did with my 870. both in the field and while shooting clays.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 pm

About the same, but when I get in one of those slumps, I switch back to my 870. It always seems to put me back in the groove. Only time I notice that I go through more shells with my auto is when I'm shooting crows over decoys. I burn through a lot of shells doing that but we do it on purpose......a crow can never be too dead. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 pm

I do, cycling the action makes me reacquire the target a little bit more and sometimes it works to my advantage!

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am

My 870WM's (as a group) are better balanced than many of the S/A's in the battery and therefore swing & point very well not to mention the 870's reputation for a universal fit.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:58 am

Not that I've noticed.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 am

I shoot them equally poorly...

...at least for the first shot. Don't normally get off a second shot with a pump. :fingerhead:
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

i always burn through shells when I use my auto. Pump makes me put a better lead on the bird for the next shot, because usually there is a next shot :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Irish Lad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I believe I do. Plus My pumps,870 express and supernova(favorite shotgun) have never jammed, my 1187 does occasionally.
Irish Lad
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 pm

I think new shooters need to start on a single shot, then move on, to a pump. Once you learn the basics, your'e ready for a gun capable of shooting multiple shots. Pump guns make you a better shooter. Like other have said, acquiring the target after loading another shell, just makes you better. Before moving onto an autoloader, start with a pump.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby joemc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 pm

im a hardcore pump shooter I do better with a pump, im way more confident that my gun wont jam, plus after a good amount of practice ive gotten extremely fast, I will put my pump up to any auto.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't understand why you would give a new shooter a single shot that kick's like a mule :no:
cootlover
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

jaysweet3 wrote: Pump guns make you a better shooter.

If that were true, all the world's trap shooters, skeet shooters, 5-stand shooters, FITASC shooters, and sporting clays shooters would be shooting pumps. As it is, the pump is the type of shotgun least likely to be seen in the hands of those shooters.

I like pumps, don't get me wrong. My shotguns consist of four autoloaders, five O/U's, three pump guns, and a single-barrel (trap gun). I shoot all four types over the course of a year. I seem to shoot all types about equally well (or, equally bad, depending on how you look at it)
:biggrin:

cootlover wrote:I don't understand why you would give a new shooter a single shot that kick's like a mule :no:

Maybe he doesn't want the new shooter to outshoot him...? :shades:
Last edited by mudpack on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

same for me.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

MUD that's funny
cootlover
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:59 pm

I do way better with my 870 wingmaster.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:17 am

I shoot better with my 3inch bps than I did with my sbe2 but I think its pretty even with my sx3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 am

cootlover wrote:I don't understand why you would give a new shooter a single shot that kick's like a mule :no:

Exactly. I started at 12 with a single shot 12 ga. and after 2 boxes on opening day of dove season my shoulder was black and blue. The very next year I got an 870 and the recoil was no where near as bad. Maybe if the single is a 20 ga. But if you want to limit the new shooter to a single shot then only give them one shell at a time.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 am

LiquidA45 wrote: I started at 12 with a single shot 12 ga. and after 2 boxes on opening day of dove season my shoulder was black and blue. ...if you want to limit the new shooter to a single shot then only give them one shell at a time.

That's good advice. :clapping:
Best beginner gun in my opinion is a 20 ga autoloader....with one shell in it.

I bought my oldest son a 12ga H&R, many years ago. The first time he shot it (he was about 8), he said, "Dad, it hurts." I poo-poo'ed him and then shot it myself. It hurt.
That gun has never been shot since.
mudpack
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 am

mudpack wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote: I started at 12 with a single shot 12 ga. and after 2 boxes on opening day of dove season my shoulder was black and blue. ...if you want to limit the new shooter to a single shot then only give them one shell at a time.

That's good advice. :clapping:
Best beginner gun in my opinion is a 20 ga autoloader....with one shell in it.

I bought my oldest son a 12ga H&R, many years ago. The first time he shot it (he was about 8), he said, "Dad, it hurts." I poo-poo'ed him and then shot it myself. It hurt.
That gun has never been shot since.

Not to mention when I was 12 I was about 5'6" and 160lbs. Couldn't imagine how that would have gone if I was an average 12 yr old, about 5" 110 lbs?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 am

my first shotgun was a single shot youth H&R 20 ga. that thing kicked hared than the 870 express 12 ga my dad got me a year later when i was 11. i now shoot a Beretta 390 and shoot that better than any other gun i own. my dad uses the 870 when he goes out with me and twice now i have let him use my beretta so i shot the 870. i could not hit a damn thing with that gun s0 we switched guns and i was right back to hitting birds. i now have brand new benelli SBE II on the way from the factory in bottomlands camo so we will see how that shoots.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 am

Over the years I've shot all kinds of actions in the marsh. Everything from a pumps to break actions to semi autos and in my option is that once a person masters shooting a certain style of gun he will shoot it well. What really matters more then anything even over the style of action is GUN FIT!. Plain and simple a shotgun needs to properly fit a person for them to have shooting consistency with it. Pumps are more reliable and they many "slow" your shooting down but in time and as you master shooting a pump you will over come it slowing you down. In my option a semi auto or light recoiling break actions for the majority of new shooters will make them better shooters. The reason is with these guns all of your focus is on the target and not on working the gun. most new wing shooters with a pump have a very choppy swing with a lot of stopping and raising of the barrel off the target plane. now these problems will go away with time but may be frustrating for a shooter in the beginning. So I guess what i'm getting at is I'd bet that your pump fits you better then the auto you have shot which made you a more consistent shooter which in turn gave you more confidence which is why you shoot said pump better then the auto you have shot. I had a high school friend that owned a Winchester 1300 and a bolt action mossberg and he always used that old bolt gun. Finally I asked him why he used it over his 1300 and he told me "because it kills" I said "yeah but what about getting off a second or third shot." and he said " Yeah ,but you don't need a second or third shot when the bird is dead on the first!" :smile:
olt d2
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 am

mudpack wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote: Pump guns make you a better shooter.

If that were true, all the world's trap shooters, skeet shooters, 5-stand shooters, FITASC shooters, and sporting clays shooters would be shooting pumps. As it is, the pump is the type of shotgun least likely to be seen in the hands of those shooters.

I like pumps, don't get me wrong. My shotguns consist of four autoloaders, five O/U's, three pump guns, and a single-barrel (trap gun). I shoot all four types over the course of a year. I seem to shoot all types about equally well (or, equally bad, depending on how you look at it)
:biggrin:

Maybe he doesn't want the new shooter to outshoot him...? :shades:

Both of you missed the point. But that's ok, go back and read my post.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 am

I'd say that if you shoot better with a pump than you do with a semi-auto, it has a lot more to do with the gun, than it does with the action.

Some guns just seem to hit where you point them.
And others, that seem in all ways measurable to "fit" just don't.

It has nothing to do with whether they are single shots, side-by-sides, over-unders, pumps or auto loaders.
copterdoc
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum