do you shoot better with a pump than a auto

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: do you shoot better with a pump than a auto

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 am

copterdoc wrote:I'd say that if you shoot better with a pump than you do with a semi-auto, it has a lot more to do with the gun, than it does with the action.

Some guns just seem to hit where you point them.
And others, that seem in all ways measurable to "fit" just don't.

It has nothing to do with whether they are single shots, side-by-sides, over-unders, pumps or auto loaders.

Agreed. When someone new starts shooting, especially a young one, a hammered single shot is about the safest gun available. Some say they kick like a mule and they can. Get one that fits and has a good recoil pad, they're fine.

That's the biggest drawback to those guns. Nobody spends the time and money on them to get it right. They figure it's a youth gun, only payed $75 for it, I'm not putting another 50 in on the stock work. You'd never get it back out. Which is true, but your investing in the shooter not the gun.

After proper safety and profencicy is obtained with the single shot, move onto a pump gun. The added weight reduces recoil, but take the time to fit it. Learning how to shoot multiple targets with a pump gun, just makes you a better shooter. Gun control and target acquisition on the pump, has a learning curve. If you go through it, it just makes the move to a semi auto that much smoother.

Shooting isn't something that one masters in a season or two. It can take years to become a decent **** ****.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

I shoot them pretty equally well normally. Well, I will say it all depends on fit. There are guns that I just can't make them feel right (super nova, mossturds, and 870s), resulting in poor shooting. I found a semi auto (sbe2) and a pump (nova) that I like and they fit me well. My shooting has improved.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Witte29 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Definitely shoot better with semi automatics. Pumps just slow me down, where with the semi I can get on the birds faster after I shoot. Everytime I try and use a pump I can never hit anything because im too focused on slowing down to make sure I pump it and then get back on a bird. My honest opinion, we're all different and have different shooting styles. :thumbsup:
Huntin the great ole Mississippi River.
Witte29
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:17 am

Witte29 wrote:Definitely shoot better with semi automatics. Pumps just slow me down, where with the semi I can get on the birds faster after I shoot. Everytime I try and use a pump I can never hit anything because im too focused on slowing down to make sure I pump it and then get back on a bird.

That is pretty common with new shooters.
As one who has been shooting pump shotguns since 1964, I can tell you that shooting a pump will become an unconscious action in pretty short order. You will work the action as quickly as an autoloader can cycle, you won't think about it in the least, and cycling a pump action will not "pull you off the bird".
It's not like you have to drop the gun off your shoulder to pump one...... :lol3:

That said, I've found that in the last five seasons or so, I haven't taken my "old faithful" 870 SP (circa 1991) out hunting more than about three times. My two "go-to" waterfowl guns now are both gas autos. I do take my BPS out for marathon pigeon shoots several times a year.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Witte29 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

mudpack wrote:
Witte29 wrote:Definitely shoot better with semi automatics. Pumps just slow me down, where with the semi I can get on the birds faster after I shoot. Everytime I try and use a pump I can never hit anything because im too focused on slowing down to make sure I pump it and then get back on a bird.

That is pretty common with new shooters.
As one who has been shooting pump shotguns since 1964, I can tell you that shooting a pump will become an unconscious action in pretty short order. You will work the action as quickly as an autoloader can cycle, you won't think about it in the least, and cycling a pump action will not "pull you off the bird".
It's not like you have to drop the gun off your shoulder to pump one...... :lol3:

That said, I've found that in the last five seasons or so, I haven't taken my "old faithful" 870 SP (circa 1991) out hunting more than about three times. My two "go-to" waterfowl guns now are both gas autos. I do take my BPS out for marathon pigeon shoots several times a year.

I wouldn't consider myself a "new shooter" considering ive been shooting shotguns for about 9 years now and hunting 7 of those 9. Im not saying I pull the gun off my shoulder to pump it, im saying the motion of moving my hand around on the gun isn't as smooth as shooting a semi auto. This is my personal opinion, ill shoot a pump just not as accurate with one.
Huntin the great ole Mississippi River.
Witte29
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 pm

I shot a pump for years but my shooting improved when I started shooting an auto.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:57 am

I grew up hunting everything from squirrels and quail with shotguns to elk with a bow and watching lots of people shoot all kinds of guns from .410 pumps to 10ga mags. From my experience, (growing up on pumps and only shooting autos for the last 2 yrs) it's all about the shooter and their mind/vision of the target. Just like I can beat my friend at golf with his wife's clubs, my dad could beat most people at sporting clays, pheasant and quail with a .410...personally I prefer my Beretta 3901 over my Nova (that I shot lots of ducks and geese with) I just enjoy shooting it more. I understand that patterning with different chokes and loads is important, but a lot of the arguments on here about guns and loads are about minutia and personal opinion. Moral of the story is that at the end of the day I think that equipment (especially shotguns vs rifles) comes down to the shooters ability/training and getting the ducks close enough that it doesn't matter.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby VincentCorrea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Skeet123 wrote:I know I do and I use a lot less shells. What's your experience?

Same here. Pumps are easier to maintain also, which gives me more time for other things, like spending time with my kids.
"I killed a huge goose once".
VincentCorrea
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm

In the last few years I've found myself hunting more and more often out of a ground layout blind or boat. I feel as if it is more convenient to use an auto-loader in those situations.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: do you shoot better with a pump than an auto

Postby B-Boy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Nope. I shoot better with an Auto than a pump. I don't really like pump guns. They have more recoil and I keep forgetting to cycle the action. :sad:
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus Hunter
B-Boy
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah I think it is the gun. Have hunted with a 870 for 15 years and last year I bought a 930. The problem is the 930 just does not come up right. I cannot explain it. With the 870 I just point and birds dorp. With the 930 I see too much of the rib. Problem is it is a plastic stock and I don't think it will ever fit me. Oh well. Back to the 870.

Thanks for all the replies......
Skeet123
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:54 pm

I have pumps and auto loaders and I definitely shoot a semi-auto better, I stay on target better and pick up the second and third bird faster with the Semi than with the pump. I also do not shoot a pump as often and end up short stroking them if I get into a hurry. That is the main reason my home defense guns are semi-autos and not pumps. Shell usage wise I can not say as I never really pay attention to that anymore. I know it is a definite advantage to have a Semi-auto or O/U on the sporting clays range. I have seen a lot of proficient pump gun shooters miss a lot of doubles targets that they easily nail with their O/U's
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum