boat design question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

boat design question

Postby Fowlplay13 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there any other manufacturers besides Go Devil and Phowler that make boats with a pointed bow but no V in the hull or if anybody knows of a custom boat maker around the Tallahasse, N FL/ S GA area.

Thanks.
Fowlplay13
hunter

Re: boat design question

Postby gahunter706 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm

I have heard good things about Prodigy boats. I think they are more towards north GA, but its not that far of a drive if you are in the Tallahassee area. They do custom boats and should be able to build it how you want it.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Sounds to me like you are just looking for a mod v hull.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 pm

I think GatorTrax has a pointed bow?
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:20 pm

And Excel
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Fowlplay13 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 am

T man,
I have heard of prodigy boats but I was hoping to maybe find some where closer. I know there is someone in the area who makes boats but I cant remember where I saw it posted.

Duck Collector,
Actually I do not want a mod v, a v bottom at all. If you look at Go devil boats they are completely flat bottomed with a pointed bow just so the boat will deflect off timber. But I do appreciate the answers none the less.
Fowlplay13
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 am

I run a Go Devil and i know what your looking for now. Do you have a mud motor? The only flat bottom with a pointed bow i can think of with a pointed bow is go devil and gator trax.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby petrel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 am

You may want to expand your search to Louisiana. You can get anything you want there. UncleJ would be a great place to start. However, as others have recommended, GatorTrax is near you.

I have a Phowler with a pointed bow. I've been very pleased with the boat.
petrel
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 am

Fowlplay13 wrote:T man,
I have heard of prodigy boats but I was hoping to maybe find some where closer. I know there is someone in the area who makes boats but I cant remember where I saw it posted.

Duck Collector,
Actually I do not want a mod v, a v bottom at all. If you look at Go devil boats they are completely flat bottomed with a pointed bow just so the boat will deflect off timber. But I do appreciate the answers none the less.

That is a mod v. It is a john with a modified v bow. Anything that doesn't have a flat bottom would be a v hull.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby goosie119 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 am

They all pretty much do it (gatortail, Phowler, go devil) but you'll pay extra for it, don't believe prodrive does though. Uncle J is no longer building boats due to a new work endeavor. Get over to mmt and talk with so e custom builders over there, they'll build you anything you want and the prices are comparable to a commercial built hull. The pointed bow would be nice if you're running timber, but otherwise it's not really gonna help much, when you're running that parts going to be out of the water anyways even if you're running in a open water chop
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby bulldawgsierra » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 am

Cody Reese builds some boats not sure of they are what you are looking for but he is in Tallahassee. His company is deaddux llc. Have buddies that have his boats and I have bought a motor from him great guy to deal with.
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Postby Fowlplay13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:17 am

Duck collector I don't have mud motor yet but will be getting one. Can you tell me about your boat. Size, split seat or not, motor, and pros and cons of it?

I was wondering why uncle J site was down. I appreciate the help folks.
Fowlplay13
hunter

boat design question

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

My boat is a 18x60 Go Devil boat with a GDSD 35. I absolutly love it. I've been sitting on top of straight mud with a Mud Buddy next to me and i get going almost immediatly when the mud buddy has to work for alittle bit. The balanced frame is amazing for logs and stumps, if you see a log coming just push down on the motor and slides right across and never feel the log. And It does have a split box seat on each side. There is not a whole lot i can say about it that i dont like other than no neutral, turn the key and go...ImageImage its not the best in vegitation but will get where you need to go..
Last edited by Duck Collector on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 pm

tywhite87
hunter

Postby Fowlplay13 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback but I have decided I am going to get a go Devil boat.

Duck collector that is a sweet rig you have. I am trying to decide idea between a gdsd 35 or gtr 35 now.
Fowlplay13
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Fowlplay13 wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback but I have decided I am going to get a go Devil boat.

Duck collector that is a sweet rig you have. I am trying to decide idea between a gdsd 35 or gtr 35 now.

They are both great motors. You will see better performance with the GDSD on the GD boat though, they are designed for eachother. Everyone thinks you need reverse but i have been in the narrowest and shallowest canals and still managed to turn around and get out fine. Only time i've ever though it would be nice to have was at the boat ramp...i've been on MMT (Mud Motor Talk) and they all rag on eachother over there but nobody can ever rag on Go Devil alot because they know the GD reputation. I've talked to many of the die hard GTR guys at the ramp and they all told me that i made a great choice and how they are the bullet proof motor on the market. Just a simple design, no pumps, gears, clutches, etc. to keep up with. Great customer service also.

GTR is a great motor to i just know nothing about em lol
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby goosie119 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Once you' have reverse you'll never own a boat without it! Same could be said for having neutral and power trim. Nobody rags on godevil because Prodrive and gatortail are head and shoulders above them. A godevil isn't any more reliable than a pd or gtr, if you take care of your stuff and perform routine maintenance they're all good. Actually mud buddy sucks, you couldn't pay me to own one and their customer service is horrendous compared to the big 3 (pd/gt/gd)
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

If you have your kill counts in your signature then you're automatically a dbag!
goosie119
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:42 pm

goosie119 wrote:Once you' have reverse you'll never own a boat without it! Same could be said for having neutral and power trim. Nobody rags on godevil because Prodrive and gatortail are head and shoulders above them. A godevil isn't any more reliable than a pd or gtr, if you take care of your stuff and perform routine maintenance they're all good. Actually mud buddy sucks, you couldn't pay me to own one and their customer service is horrendous compared to the big 3 (pd/gt/gd)

Everyone is partial to their own boat. I own go devil so im going to tell you go devil. He owns GTR so hes going to tell you GTR. Just drive em and see what you like. If you want a GD boat then a GD motor might be the better choice since they are designed for each other. If you want a GTR then get a gatortail boat but with a pointed bow...they all run best paired up with the boat and motor they are designed for.
Ha ya and mud buddy does suck lol one of my friends has one and hes had to replace hydraulics and clutches 3 times in 2 years.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds