Decoy hauling sled

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Decoy hauling sled

Postby blackheel » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:22 am

I swear I saw some one's decoy sled plans on this site. I have a buddy that wants to build one and thought I could find it. Help please!
blackheel
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:35 am

I am interested also. I was thinking about getting on of those big black ones they sell for ice fishing as soon as they go on sale. I though that would be a nice light weight one that you could hall stuff in the snow or on bare ground if needed.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby blackheel » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:52 am

Yeah, I have an olive plastic one from Cabela's. I like it but it isn't always the easiest thing to drag through the marsh and keep your stuff in. I am going to rig a net over the top to hold the dekes in.
blackheel
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 pm

blackheel,are you looking for something to drag or something with wheels?
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rowdy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:56 pm

i also have the olive one from cabelas i installed a homemade rail on the sides to make the carrying capacity a bit higher and got some netting to fasten over the top. great for the price and it floats
Rowdy
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:21 pm

I just picked up a Jet Sled 1. It is about 24"w x10"h x 54"L. It doesn't way much at all and should hold 3-bags of decoys if you stand the bags on end. Will float. They make a bigger one that is like 30"w x12"h x 66" L that will hall a lot of gear. You could practically dig a shallow hole in the field an use that one for a lay down blind. They also make a dbl. arm tow bar to connect to atv's and snowmobiles. I got mine for $29. Now is the best time to get them. Look at your local stores like Wal-Mart or similar because the ice fishing stuff it on the way out for the year and they are on sale. I plan to sand the sides and top and camo it.

I don't want to discourage anyone from making one, but if you can get something this nice and heavy duty for a good price I though it was worth mentioning.
thaner
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:52 am

Do a search on Cabelas web sight, they're on SALE right now! $19 and up to $60 for the camo covered ones.
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby blackheel » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 pm

It is only the smallest one on sale. I have the bigger one right now. Thanks for the info though. For the person that said look in Wal-Mart for ice fishing clearance....not much of that in NC!
blackheel
hunter

Postby the old man » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:30 am

I have been using a plastic sled for years. I made a harness for my YML to help me pull it. He can pull 4 doz. decoys faster than I can walk. It works great because you can float it behind you as you put out decoys. I also use it in the yard to pull my wife flowers and planting supplies. My lab pulls it also. He's a true yard dog. :cool:
You don't have to be crazy to duck hunt, but it helps.
the old man
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:36 pm

blackheel wrote:It is only the smallest one on sale. I have the bigger one right now. Thanks for the info though. For the person that said look in Wal-Mart for ice fishing clearance....not much of that in NC!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: SORRY! Didn’t notice the NC, what do you expect from Michigan when your talking sled. Your lucky I didn’t recommend you get a sled with a motor.
thaner
hunter

Postby stalns » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:27 am

I picked up the medium sized one from Cabela's. $25 to my door. Now i want to make a low cost wheel cart for it.
stalns
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:28 am

stalns wrote:I picked up the medium sized one from Cabela's. $25 to my door. Now i want to make a low cost wheel cart for it.

I got one and my buddy has one. They work great and the kids like them when it snows as 2 kids to 3 small kids can ride in it down the hill.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum