size dekes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

size dekes

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:06 pm

hey all,

another ? for you? what size dekes do you use in your rigs? i see a bunch of magnums (18" or so) at the online stores and local retail stores. does anyone make/use a normal "life size" decoy that can be recommended? thanks in advance...
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:40 pm

Mags on all, but my Buffleheads, Goldeneyes, Woodies and Teal thier life size.
Pro Hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:27 pm

Flambue (sp)...My brother got me some made in china water keel mallards at Sports Authority that are life size...I use the crap out of em, and, cheap. Hot buys are descent cheapo decoys as well. When I dont have to walk in, I throw a few mags out as well...mix em up a bit. Ive used 2 life size Blue wings and killed ducks over em....Lots of things to consider. If your seeing your dux in ones and twos, ya wont need many dekes...If your hunting open water, or, your birds are in groups of more than 4-5, youll need a bigger spread. Early in the season I go with a small setup, as the season goes on I add more, and, use a wave maker or jerk string setup, as the birds in my area seem to bunch up more...Y'all have a nice day! :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 pm

I like life size decoys, I don't like to use huge decoys, I think they might scare the ducks.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:52 pm

the majority of my spread is lifesized after all real ducks do pretty good finding each other and they are lifesized.

however i do use a couple oversized blackducks the darker decoy can be seen from greater distances so i figure darker and bigger cant go wrong but mostly it boils down to personal preferance..
Rowdy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum