Can this be fixed?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Can this be fixed?

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:42 pm

My 10 year old son has always wanted to kill a widgeon. Shot his 1st this morning. Blew his lips off. We shot a couple more that are fine. But he shot this one himself. Can heads be swapped? Color on his is better than the others. Said he wouldn't mind doing a dead mount if possible the way it is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389577367.919966.jpg
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Re: Can this be fixed?

Postby duxrus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:19 pm

An artificial head/bill could be used....BUT it looks like the entire front of the head is gone. I know everyone always wants to save the first bird but I would wait until he gets something better. No sense paying $ for something that will only come out less than what you were wanting. If it was only the bill damaged you would be good to go but once the actual head and feathers are gone then I just don't see that being fixed unless someone had a lot of extra time to spend putting humpty dumpty back together which would cost some serious extra money....and may not turn out anyway IMO

Congrats on good hunt. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 pm

It's hard to see from the picture if just the bill is gone, or skin with it? If just the "lips", then no problem. I don't think you will be so lucky. The odds are, that head and neck took the full load as well. I assume he swatted it (and I'm not judging....Could care less really). The duck tends to get a full load. If you post up a closer picture of the head, we could give you a better idea?

As far as swapping heads? Yes it could be done. Might cost you a bit more, and depending on the talent of the taxidermist, it could show the Frankensteining.

Either post a close up or take it in and let your taxidermist decide.

Good luck, and congratulations to the boy!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Once again, typing at the same time....and speaking the same language lol
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Will get a closer pic. Don't have much trust in my local taxidermist. Just to say didnt swat came over his right shoulder from behind rolled it. Looks like got some meat. Just hoping to salvage. He has been hunting a few years and has shot lots of different ducks. Never wanted to mount any just kept saying I am going to mount my first widgeon.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks for replies.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby XhailGC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm

It doesn't look too good... Do you have another picture?
XhailGC
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum