Mallard calls

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Mallard calls

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 am

I got a RNT Alpha 2 for Christmas. I used it this last Saturday and had a lot of problems with it sticking. Does anyone else have this call and have this same problem? I'm thinking about returning it and getting another one. Anyone have any suggestions on some calls they like? I tend to lean more towards double reeds.
Csook
hunter

Re: Mallard calls

Postby bandedbrant » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 am

I blow a buck Gardner double nasty and I have had lots of success. My favorite single reed is an outlaw call.
bandedbrant
hunter

Postby JonD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 am

A lot of people have problems with RNT's sticking, myself included. My favorite calls are the Lares hybrid and the echo timber but both those calls are single reeds.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 am

JonD wrote:A lot of people have problems with RNT's sticking, myself included. My favorite calls are the Lares hybrid and the echo timber but both those calls are single reeds.

The 5 calls I have on my lanyard are rnt calls. Never had a problem sticking or I wouldn't use them. Stop spitting so much in them
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby JonD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
JonD wrote:A lot of people have problems with RNT's sticking, myself included. My favorite calls are the Lares hybrid and the echo timber but both those calls are single reeds.

The 5 calls I have on my lanyard are rnt calls. Never had a problem sticking or I wouldn't use them. Stop spitting so much in them

Huh ok I must only spit into the RNT calls then because that's the only call that sticks on me. I've only used a RNT original though so maybe the other calls are better.

That's great that they work for you. I'm just speaking from my limited experience with a RNT call and from what I've heard from friends and read on forums such as this one.

JonD
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 am

Check out Basin calls. The double take and half pint are both great and half the cost of that RNT alpha 2.
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Postby awc16 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 am

X2 on the basin. I have the double take and love mine.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
awc16
hunter

Postby North LA Hunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

I have an Alpha 2. Mine doesn't stick at all. I've tuned mine for me though. Call RNT and tell them what it's doing and they will fix you up.

Sent from my beeper
North LA Hunter
hunter

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I have a cheap basin that I bought for like $60 like 5 years ago, I have really liked it and will still have it on my lanyard but I wanted to try an acrylic. I will call RNT and see what they have to say about the problem. If it's just me then it looks like I will be looking into some of these other calls you guys have recommended. So if you have any more recommendations, keep em coming.
Thanks
Csook
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Csook wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I have a cheap basin that I bought for like $60 like 5 years ago, I have really liked it and will still have it on my lanyard but I wanted to try an acrylic. I will call RNT and see what they have to say about the problem. If it's just me then it looks like I will be looking into some of these other calls you guys have recommended. So if you have any more recommendations, keep em coming.
Thanks

Diablo, MVP, DC, macrohen all great rnt calls.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby CircleHooker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm

I have been using RNT calls for many years now. Mainly a single Daisy Cutter and a double Short Barrel. Had some sticking problems early on. Took care of it with some spray on furniture polish to the reeds and tone board. Spray on wipe off and ready to go. I do this about once a month to keep them running smooth and clear.
Paul (CircleHooker)
CircleHooker
hunter

Postby NorCalDuckHunter24 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Basin double take, river forks double reed, alpha 2 are all great calls. I prefer my river forks.
NorCalDuckHunter24
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 pm

A Rich and Tone that sticks...........that's funny......... :lol3:

They have traditionally been one of the worst sticking calls on the market. Their shorter reed calls don't stick too much but some of their other calls certainly do. Even their speck call sticks pretty bad.

It is NOTHING you are doing. It is ALL in the inherent design of a call. They either stick or they don't. Some guys spit more than others but a call should be designed to handle some amount before loading up too much. The usual problem is the departure angle on the tone board is too flat and the reed is too long. The more contact there is then it is more likely to hang up as the spit gets in between there and creates a seal.

My advice is if you can't deal with having to clear the call out on a regular basis is to get another call. Lares calls don't stick at all. Many other calls like the Echo, Winglock, etc. are pretty good about not sticking too much.

The key is to find a call that doesn't stick. Once a spitter always a spitter so I would find a call that is made to not stick.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Waterfowler7 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:54 pm

If you aren't set on a double, you should really take a close look at a Lares. All three of the mallard calls are great and with the different reeds that you can get, you will find the right setup for you. Great customer service. If you make the drive to Chico, Brett will more than likely get you a setup that you will leave happy with.
Lock em "n" Rock em
Waterfowler7
hunter

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've noticed I do put a lot of moisture in my call when I use it. I am going to call RNT and see if they can help me any over the phone and if not then I am going to return it to bass pro shop on my way up to LDC this Wednesday.
The reason I don't care for single reeds is because when ever I pick one up and try to blow one it sounds like I am barely blowing any air through it and makes terrible noises lol. I was taught on a double reed and don't really know to blow a single. What are the differences in how to blow a single to a double. I will buy a single if I can blow it well. Any advice for that?
Csook
hunter

Postby meatslayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Turn the call upside down when ur using it... Cut my reed sticking down by 95% on my rnt DC. Rarly sticks now.
meatslayer
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Take a candle and rub the reeds with it. The thin layer of wax doe snot seem to affect the sound, as far as I can tell, and displaces the spit off of the reeds to the point where they will not stick together. Works for me for a couple of weeks after each application.
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby Csook » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 am

I talked to Butch from RNT and he told me to send it in. He said that I will always have a problem with my reeds sticking because I spit. He told me I can send it in and he can fix it up so that way it won't stick on me. He said that most people don't spit and the calls are made for that, but for people who do spit they can fix the call up so it won't stick. There is just some extra modifications. I only have to pay for shipping to their headquarters. Kinda sucks but at least they didn't tell me I was SOL.
Csook
hunter

Postby North LA Hunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 am

Csook wrote:I talked to Butch from RNT and he told me to send it in. He said that I will always have a problem with my reeds sticking because I spit. He told me I can send it in and he can fix it up so that way it won't stick on me. He said that most people don't spit and the calls are made for that, but for people who do spit they can fix the call up so it won't stick. There is just some extra modifications. I only have to pay for shipping to their headquarters. Kinda sucks but at least they didn't tell me I was SOL.

Butch will work with you to get you happy with your call. Very nice folks up there for sure.

Sent from my beeper
North LA Hunter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

North LA Hunter wrote:
Csook wrote:I talked to Butch from RNT and he told me to send it in. He said that I will always have a problem with my reeds sticking because I spit. He told me I can send it in and he can fix it up so that way it won't stick on me. He said that most people don't spit and the calls are made for that, but for people who do spit they can fix the call up so it won't stick. There is just some extra modifications. I only have to pay for shipping to their headquarters. Kinda sucks but at least they didn't tell me I was SOL.

Butch will work with you to get you happy with your call. Very nice folks up there for sure.

Sent from my beeper

Yep there customers service is great. I send all my calls to get retuned and make sure they are up to par. I had a pretty big chip in my barrel on my dc. Sent it in for tunning got a new barrel. All I will buy is rnt.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm

JonD wrote: I must only spit into the RNT calls then because that's the only call that sticks on me. I've only used a RNT original though so maybe the other calls are better.

PM me. I can modify your RNT so it won't stick any more. I've done this mod to some of my really sticky calls...the worst was a nice Jack Wilson that blew beautifully, but would stick after about 5 minutes. It now never sticks. Same modification worked on several other stickers.
mudpack
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting