10ft duck boat

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

10ft duck boat

Postby Teal slayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

hello all, ive been using my 10ft jon boat for this season with 2 people, gear, and decoys. It has worked fine. I am changing spots and unfortunately to deep to wade therefore I must hunt from the boat. How do yall conceal your jon boats? comments and pictures are appreciated
Teal slayer
hunter

Re: 10ft duck boat

Postby blindbound86 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm

check out the forum, do a search for blind builds. there also may be some useful info. in the DIY forum. a boat blind for a 10' jon should be a pretty simple build.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

2 guys hunting out of a 10' boat sounds dangerous as hell, and I don't mean the fun dangerous.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

I'd want a 12ft boat MINIMUM if hunting with 2 guys, and a 14ft would be better.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:07 pm

The danger factor the other posters refer to depends very much on your hunting situation. I live in AZ and as you are aware intense weather is not exactly commonplace in my neck of the woods. That being said, upon first reading, I didn't notice you were hunting 2 guys out of your boat. please be careful I am pushing it with me and my dog and he is only marginally fat.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:55 am

I wouldn't even try that if I couldn't touch bottom... a 10 ft boat is a big decoy sled and that is all...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 am

While I agree with the rest of the guys who posted (on the suitability of the boat), the answer to your question about concealment is another issue.
A couple of camo nets should easily (and cheaply) cover a boat that small while keeping a low profile. Drape a net over the shoulders of the shooters, and don't stand up to shoot. :thumbsup:

(I assume you have adequately weighed the dangers of what you are planning, and have made an intelligent decision about what steps you will be taking, safety-wise, to ensure that both of you come home dry and breathing. )
mudpack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am

Keep off the lakes in Illinois. They get rough like the ocean. Carlyle + 10' boat + hunters, gear, n dog + slight breeze = everybody dies.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 am

The best advice I can give you for hunting deeper water....and at that out of your set up. Buy a bigger boat, your life is not worth putting in danger just because you didn't have the proper equipment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 am

aunt betty wrote:Keep off the lakes in Illinois. They get rough like the ocean. Carlyle + 10' boat + hunters, gear, n dog + slight breeze = everybody dies.

LOL
TheMiz
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 pm

I've hunted from a 10' boat a bunch of times. I wouldn't hit big water with it. If you can't pull the boat up into the cattails and bend them over your boat then I'm not sure what you'd do.

I certainly would want to have the boat on the bog or put stakes into the ground to keep your boat a little more stable. We've used chicken wire and threaded in cattails and then about 8 stakes 8'-10' long stick into the ground with hooks to hold the chicken wire/blind up. But you'd still want to be up against something to keep the boat stable.
kbooger
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds