Introduce yourself!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby NoleLaw15 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey guys,
Brand new the forum. I'm JD and am from Midland, Texas. I am up here going to law school at FSU, and moved down here without any family or any friends. I have really enjoyed my time here and have made many great friends from law school, but they arent really the outdoorsman type. Grew up in the outdoors, but never hunted public land so it would be awesome if I could find a mentor to show me the ropes. I would also love to get into fishing as well during my stay down here. After completing my first semester of law school I just really had the urge to get back into the outdoors and take advantage of what North Florida has to offer but don't really know where to start. I kind of run into a problem because I rarely have gotten to fish, and when I did growing up, it was alway for bass and crappie. I hunted a lot but it was always on leased land. Being on a students salary down here, I don't really have the excess funds to throw out a couple G for a hunting lease, so I need a little info on exactly how to properly use the public land etc (The last thing I want to do is come out here and step on anyones feet or piss someone off because I dont know what I'm doing). I have looked hard into getting a new kayak for fishing/hunting. If any guys need another body or want to take me under their wing, I'm great company, capable of buying the beer, and have been raised to be a very safe hunter at all times. I would greatly appreciate all the insight and help any of you anglers could give me. Looking forward to getting out there this year! Oh and dont worry about me trying to mooch, I will pay for any new equipment I need, and for hunting, I brought down my shotguns. So I'm not looking for a free handout, just a good hunting buddy, or a mentor to show me the ropes! Thanks for your time.
NoleLaw15
Newb

Postby A3M0N » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm new to the forum and hunting. I grew up in an extended family of hunters, except for my immediate family. My cousins and uncles all hunt deer, but I never got into it, my uncle actually addressed me as the "city boy" growing up.

Now I'm 31 and interested in learning. I'm more interested in waterfowl, but still would like to learn to hunt deer too. I'm stationed at Eglin AFB right now. Unfortunately I waited 2 years to long to get interested as I'm going back to tech school this fall and will miss almost all of that hunting season in training, then I'll PCS and have no idea where to. So for now I'm learning all I can about hunting in FL. I plan to take my kiddos hiking/camping on some of the area WMAs soon.

I also have a 2 y/o lab mix I'd like to see if I can train into a decent gun dog. That's a whole other topic though.
A3M0N
Newb

Postby Hunter1987 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Greetings from South Florida, I’m a 45 year old US Marine veteran with a love for the outdoors and hunting. New to Florida duck hunting and hope to give back as much as I get from participating in this forum. So far it’s been all good, experience level and advice that I have extracted from the forums has been top shelf and it appears to be a awesome bunch of guys & gals. Hope to see you in the long grass, if anyone ever needs an extra gun in the blind HMU…
Kindest regards,,
Life is tough, it's tougher if your're stupid. Sgt. Stryker USMC
Hunter1987
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:59 am

Hello from central Fl. Like the website seems to loaded with plenty of humor and useful info. I have been at this duck hunting sport for a while and still get excited for opening day. Hope to see yall on the water.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby HikerJim » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:22 am

Hello everybody. I'm 38, native Floridian born in Orlando and living in Minneola now (since 1982). Grew up with twigs for hair and leaves for fingernails more or less until the developers moved in and took it all away from us. Spent most of my time in the woods around home and hunting arrowheads and shooting squirrels up around Lake Butler. Fished every year on the St. Johns around Jacksonville for a while as well.

I work in IT but am really striving to get out of that. Can not stand being stuck in a drab, sterile cube under flourescent lights any more. Trying to get into small engine repair and home repair/remodeling and work on something tangible that makes sense.

In regards to hunting waterfowl I am as green as a new sailor his first time underway. I will be starting from scratch.

Just recently I started remembering my roots and I'm looking to reclaim a bit of that. Got a canoe recently that's in need of a camo paint job and just picked up plans for a pirogue. Little by little I hope to get back to what was lost. Long way to go still but hopefully will pick up some good pointers and help here.
HikerJim
Newb

Postby DuckCommander0623 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 am

Hey yall,

I havent logged on here in forever, Im originally from Florida but I just moved back this past summer from N.C. I was up there for 5 years with the United States Marines. Had some fun duck hunting up there but now that Im back here Im starting all over on places to hunt and learining when and where Im allowed to be. Just on here trying to learn what I can and meet some interesting people along the way.
"Some men spend there entire lifetime life wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines dont have that problem" Ronad Reagan
DuckCommander0623
hunter

Postby DuckCommander0623 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 am

[quote="Hunter1987"]Greetings from South Florida, I’m a 45 year old US Marine veteran with a love for the outdoors and hunting. New to Florida duck hunting and hope to give back as much as I get from participating in this forum. So far it’s been all good, experience level and advice that I have extracted from the forums has been top shelf and it appears to be a awesome bunch of guys & gals. Hope to see you in the long grass, if anyone ever needs an extra gun in the blind HMU…
Kindest regards,,[/quot

OOrahh Devil Dog Where abouts in FL. are you North central south?...
"Some men spend there entire lifetime life wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the Marines dont have that problem" Ronad Reagan
DuckCommander0623
hunter

Postby hunter352 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Name is Roger... 52 years old... live in Gainesville in the winter and Maine in the summer... been duck hunting for around ten years... buying my first duck boat this week... deciding on a 1754 Excel Shallow Water F4 or the Drake 16 Xpress... with a Gator Tail Mud Motor... think I am going to go with the Excel... probably making the call tomorrow... really looking forward to scouting more of North Florida for duck hunting... all of my duck hunting has been the STA's in South Florida, Okeechobee or a little on Orange Lake... hoping a mud boat/motor will help navigate Orange Lake... anyway, just have a real passion for everything duck hunting... love Orvis and L.L. Bean hunting products... although Eddie Bauer has gotten back to it's roots with some great hunting gear and apparel... don't know many duck hunters in the area... hoping to make some connections on this forum.
hunter352
Newb

Postby Catchinwaves » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Howdy everyone, I'm Chris, 29 year old and have been duck hunting for 2 years now. I would say I am inexperienced at best. The only duck hunting I have done is woodys in the swamp with my brother and his dog and I have to say, I'm addicted. Nothing better than a cold December morning in north Florida and slipping to the waters edge and waiting for the whistle and whoosh of those beautiful swamp grouse. The first one I shot landed no kidding 4 feet from me. It did not survive the encounter but man was he delicious. Hook line and sinker for me :)
Catchinwaves
hunter

Postby vince0311 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 pm

hi guys, my names Vince I'm an avid fly fisherman and former marine doing my stint at UF I'm a food animal major learning about cattle things at CALS. My hunting experience is limited to hunting turkey. I have grown up with a father who is a hardcore all weather fisherman and have spent my youth being eaten alive or standing in pouring rain chasing fish around the north Indian river. a lot of the etiquette that applies to fishing transfers well to hunting. now that i'm the proud owner of a gheenoe which has given me great access in north florida where it is difficult to wade in anywhere and fish I'm going to try my hand at duck hunting. I appreciate and understand the work that goes into scouting and setting up and will try to stay out of everyone's way and be as respectful as possible. Anybody who wants to give advice all will be accepted humbly for those who want the newb to steer clear i understand i haven't earned my stripes yet and respect that as well. i just wanted to introduce myself and say that im here and that conservation and ethical fishing/hunting is my number one priority. I feel like im in a little bit or a grey area as an outdoors man it has always seemed to me there are two kinds of people, fisherman who try to hunt and hunters that try to fish hopefully i can master the balance and be both. good luck this year to everyone and if i can get even just one duck this year it will be a great year for me!
vince0311
hunter

Postby Leghorn Webbfeets » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:10 am

Good morning,
I reckon this is how you shake one man's hand over the internet. Born and raised here in Florida been doing the fish'n and hunt'n thing most of my life, between my family life, working life, just trying to keep everything running smooth.
Still drink my coffee from an old rebuilt percolator pot. And a firm believer if your food ain't boiled in grease, salted, or smoked don't eat it, its bad for you.
Also believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

Take care,
Leghorn
Leghorn Webbfeets
Newb

Postby djtab » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm

How's it going? My names Don, already posted a question before seeing this form. I'm new to hunting, just wrapping up my first year and since I didn't land a buck I'll call it sitting. Looking to branch out into birds and ducks this year. I'm a Florida native who is finally making time for the outdoor life so I can teach my children how to unwind and enjoy life.
djtab
Newb

Postby fincity » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:58 am

Hello Everyone,
My name is Jerry. I live in the Longwood area. I grew up hunting in Vero Beach. I love to fish offshore, inshore, salt and fresh. I use to hunted on and off since I was a kid. Mostly in my twenties. My real joy is Dove hunting. I hunting ducks but not to any great degree. I hunted ducks from a boat when I first started with my brother at ten years old. After that I found a sweet spot from a road at dusk.
The road from what I remember was about 30 or 40 yards across with a tree link on both sides. When dusk was near they started to fly. If you catch (shot) them just right they would fall before the stick marsh. It was a lot of fun and a challenge. That was the extent of my duck hunting.
So this year I want to start again. I never hunted around central or central east Florida. I have a 14 Carolina skiff I use for flats fishing but it's white. I would need a cameo net or something to keep the ducks from diverting around me.
So any suggests or comments are welcomed. Also I will split gas or whatever it takes.
I'm no stranger to splitting cost.
fincity
Newb

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:39 am

Hello iam bob live in swf have duck hunted for 50 years and 8 in swf this is some of the best duck hunting I have every had.I also build sneak box boats as A hobby love to hunt out of some thing that I built myself Iam al ways looking to help new hunters or youth hunts GOOD LUCK HUNTING BE SAFE TAKE A KID HUNTING .
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey yal! My name is Jay. I live in Grand Ridge. I haven't duck hunted in a few years as my dad and I deer hunted a lot together, He passed away in June and I really don't have the fire for deer hunting like I used to. I have a soon to be 7 year old son that really likes the fact you don't have to be quiet all the time when duck hunting. Good luck everyone.
cpoplayer
hunter

Postby Bswelch2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am Branden a 28 year old Marketing Analyst out of Tampa, Florida. I have hunted small game (Dove & Squirrel) since I was a young boy, to my mothers dismay. :no: I only really got into hunting 5 years ago. I grew up in a non-hunting/anti-hunting family so I have self taught everything I know. Looking now though to learn from others and take myself to the next level. I hunt pretty much all of Florida but live in Tampa. I prefer migratory birds, waterfowl and upland hunting the best but will occasionally squirrel hunt. Would like to get into Hog and Deer hunting but only have access to public land and haven't had any success yet. It's likely combination of lack of skill and the amount of pressure public land sees make it tough for a self taught neophyte . As I said just looking to learn and share as well what I have learned over the few years I have hunted. Look forward to getting to know you guys.

Branden
Bswelch2
hunter

Postby carlosburitica » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 pm

hi guys...
my name is carlos from fort lauderdale fl

carlosburitica
hunter

Postby mastermc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Gentlemen,
My name is Steve.....Moved to ST Augustine from up North a few years ago....Starting to get back into Duck hunting....Been to TM Goodwin and Guana(Lake Ponte Vedra) so far this Season....hope to get some tips and pointers from the seasoned guys on this forum.
Im a lifelong Hunter and Outdoorsman.....Headed to Iowa this week in search of a Big Whitetail but hope to get back out on the water when I return......Safe Hunting
S.
mastermc
Newb

Postby h1mtsar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey all,
Jim here, Us Navy search and rescue and new to hunting. Stationed in Orlando and learned my backyard is prime for duck/snipe hunting and since the bass get cranky sometimes, figured i'd give myself another outdoor activity. Shoot Remington 870\versa max/and savage 20G side by side. Live on St johns by lake Harney. saw plenty of ducks first few weeks of season but having a hard time even seeing one now. So hoping to fill in migration gaps here. Would love to get a water dog, but judging by some of the other wildlife in the yard thing i'd have to do without.

So where are the ducks now?
h1mtsar
Newb

Postby Fowlplay13 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey Yall,
Name is Josh, I am 23 with 2 kids, boy who is 2 and a daughter who is 1, currently in the guard and work for the state. Been in tallahassee the last couple of years and just got back into hunting. Grew up a military brat so I have been all over and did a lot of fishing along the way. Use to hunt when I lived in S. FL and I am definitely enjoying what N. FL has to offer. I have been duck hunting for 2 years, learned quite a bit from my Dad but I would say I am still inexpierenced and in the trial and error stage ( more error than anything). Looking forward to learning more and just getting on the water to wack some ducks!
Fowlplay13
hunter

Postby Knockemdown1styear » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey my name is Jesse I live in Lehigh acres fl. I am new to the
Sport. Never hunted before and I'm pumped up
About going my 1st year. I'm learning how to call
With a classic duck comander call. Want to know everything
I need to know about the sport. I will be purchasing a 14 ft flat
Bottom jon boat with mud motor. Have no idea on whare to hunt
Besides lake okeechobee. And once I'm in lake o I have no idea were
To find the perfect hunting spot. Any advice?
Knockemdown1styear
Newb

Postby jdnole0585 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 am

NoleLaw15 wrote:Hey guys,
Brand new the forum. I'm JD and am from Midland, Texas. I am up here going to law school at FSU, and moved down here without any family or any friends. I have really enjoyed my time here and have made many great friends from law school, but they arent really the outdoorsman type. Grew up in the outdoors, but never hunted public land so it would be awesome if I could find a mentor to show me the ropes. I would also love to get into fishing as well during my stay down here. After completing my first semester of law school I just really had the urge to get back into the outdoors and take advantage of what North Florida has to offer but don't really know where to start. I kind of run into a problem because I rarely have gotten to fish, and when I did growing up, it was alway for bass and crappie. I hunted a lot but it was always on leased land. Being on a students salary down here, I don't really have the excess funds to throw out a couple G for a hunting lease, so I need a little info on exactly how to properly use the public land etc (The last thing I want to do is come out here and step on anyones feet or piss someone off because I dont know what I'm doing). I have looked hard into getting a new kayak for fishing/hunting. If any guys need another body or want to take me under their wing, I'm great company, capable of buying the beer, and have been raised to be a very safe hunter at all times. I would greatly appreciate all the insight and help any of you anglers could give me. Looking forward to getting out there this year! Oh and dont worry about me trying to mooch, I will pay for any new equipment I need, and for hunting, I brought down my shotguns. So I'm not looking for a free handout, just a good hunting buddy, or a mentor to show me the ropes! Thanks for your time.

I'm a FSU law alum and I can tell you that you're going to love it there. I got lucky when I first moved to Tally because my roommate (that i had never met, but knew was into fishing) had a kayak. It took me not being able to head out with him maybe two times before I made the investment into a kayak. Not sure how long (or if ever) it would've taken me to get one. Honestly the best single purchase during my law school years. There is TONS of amazing fishing only an hour away from you. I averaged two to three trips a week down to the coast and sometimes more. Check out oyster bay, saint marks, and lanark reef! All great places to fish and beautiful country. I had some of my best days heading down there solo after busting my ass in the library. The duck hunting is harder around there. Expect to get skunked at times on those lakes in and around Tally.

Enjoy your time and take advantage of it while you can. I'm pretty jealous of you and writing this makes me want to go back and start all over haha. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM, although I probably won't be too much help on the hunting front since I really started out during my time in Tally. Have fun, and GO NOLES!!!
jdnole0585
hunter

Postby ben10 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi everyone, my names brenton born and raised right here in Kissimmee, New to duck hunting but just like everyone else, it only takes going out that one time to get addicted! Looking forward to getting some newbie hints and help along the way. This forum Is full of great information and I'm glad to be accepted.
Nothing like good friends, and cold beer!
ben10
hunter

Postby Pse4me » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:35 pm

What's goin on fellas,

Just moved to Jacksonville and looking to do some hunting here. Have a couple years if experience but don't know much about hunting in Jacksonville. I mostly bow hunt but really looking to get anything. God to be here.

Vince
Pse4me
Newb

Postby Reel Teal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 am

Good Morning,

My name is Brian. Live in Sanford and from the central florida area. Finished my first duck season and am addicted as ever. Just joined after finding out about this site after the season and what a great site this is. I wish I would have stumbled across it sooner. A great group of people with endless knowledge. I look forward to meeting some and maybe hunting with some. :beer:
Reel Teal
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Florida Duck Hunting