Bought Another Lund Alaskan...

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Bought Another Lund Alaskan...

Postby CancelledFlights » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 am

I put a topic together a couple of months ago, as I was trying to decide between a SeaArk 2472 or a Polar Kraft 2010 for my next rig. I got the opportunity to hunt out of a SeaArk 2472 on the first of two late season days in Michigan. I loved the room in the boat, but similar to the WarEagle 2072 that my buddy owns, we got beat to death making the run in three foot waves on Lake St. Clair. The next day I hunted out of our 20' Lund Alaskan and fell back in love. I didn't get the chance to ride in a Polar Kraft, but the weekend following the close of the season, a Lund Alaskan came up for sale in my neck of the woods. I have yet to see a Polar Kraft 2010 for sale used and I wasn't looking forward to putting out the cash for a new rig, so for once, my patience may have paid off. It's slightly different than the Alaskan we currently own (75 hp tiller), but the price was right, so I pulled the trigger. The new rig is also a 2000, but this one has a side console and a 115 Merc on the back. I just placed another order for eight dozen Higdon foam filled Bluebills and can't wait for the season to get here. I have to believe this boat is going to do well walleye fishing and pulling the kids on tubes this summer, while I kill time until next duck season.
CancelledFlights
hunter

Re: Bought Another Lund Alaskan...

Postby weiss » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Was the seaark a vfx that you hunted out of ?. I know the 2472 Jon series in three footers would be a ruff/wet ride I would like to hear how the vfx handles that size waves.
weiss
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Congrats. That's a big boat
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:06 am

the seaark has such a shallow dead rise , it rides like a flatbottom.....on the other hand some MOD V come with as much as 15 dehree dead rise....those boats wont beat you in 3 footers...

My Lowe2070 has a 12 degree deadrise and I run 3 footers pretty smoothly.

you have to learn about the boats you are thinking of instead of just the length and width

there was one company that was making a variable deadrise.....they might have been excel...cant remember

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby CancelledFlights » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 am

It was a 2013 2472 VFX with a 140 Suzuki. The 15 degree deadrise is the only reason I got excited about it. I fished out of an older SeaArk when I lived on the Chesapeake Bay and didn't care for the ride, so I was hoping this would be much improved, but it didn't do much for me. I imagine it would make a sweet rig on calmer waters, but for Lake St. Clair, I think a deep v is best.
CancelledFlights
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds