New Brunswick Hunters

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Really, never hunted from a field? I suppose....there likely isn't too much farm land down in Gagetown or Fredericton I guess. There must be some good fields out towards Stanley way?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Well, until the birds get skittish......you can hunt from tree lines, hedge rows....fence lines and ditches...and even standing corn or anyother high vegetion.
After that....it's either pits, hay bale blinds or layouts.
We hunted fields back in NB layin on oat straw, covered with it or burlap....and most times a huge shell goose decoy...drawn up to your face....but still enough room to call and see what the birds were doing. If the fields were wet...use some type of tarp or plastic. You'll also need something to raise your shoulders and head....so one could build a triangled shaped ramp....with water proof padding.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:17 pm

hunter64,

Where did you hunt the fields in NB? We are up in Carleton County...Florenceville area.

Not sure if your last post was for me or not...but we all use layout blinds...no getting wet if we can help it. We haven't had the opportunity to use treelines or standing corn yet.
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:09 am

Timbo.....my post was just a general post...and wasn't pointed at anyone directly.
We hunted fields in Grand Falls, and around my former home in Napan. Thats in Northumberland Co.
We also went to PEI and had little success there....but had a great time trying.
Standing corn, tree lines and all the rest, are great early season spots......or if the area is new...but the birds sure wise up to these, very quickly.
I see you are in the grain belt area. Never hunted there, but knew a couple of guys that say.....well you know.....LOL.
When we hunt geese here, it's at least 75% or more of the time.
If the corn were trees.....it would be just like back home.
Corn and Soya Beans everywhere here....and surrounding states.
When I go myself....I have two private ponds that I hunt out of. One is strictly for geese......the other further south, I can shoot both ducks and geese.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Yeah, I bet Grandfalls is a good area for geese. There are a lot of fields and plenty of water for them to stay on. We have thought about maybe trying it up that way next year...but it is just easier to scout and hunt the local fields here.

Do I dare ask who you knew from my neck of the woods?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 pm

It was a couple of truck drivers....that delivered frozen food from Mc Cain foods.
I used to work at Northumberland Coop. A few years in the frozen food dept, and a few in the hardware store.
The guys from your area were some very decent folks......and as funny as hell.
One commented one time about Valley fries. He called them bullet fries. If they were 1 minute over their cooking time.....they were as hard as bullets....oh man...I ate, or tried to....to know what he meant.... :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck in Grand Falls. Alot of hunters and idiots.
We were hunting this private field....and these four guys came barreling up the hill in their jeep. Stopped, looked at out spread....opened the back, hauled out rifles....and proceeded to sneak on us. A buddy of mine stated to wave...but they kept on coming. The 3 of us started to wave....here they come......Damn...we all had to jump up....and make ourselves know. Alot of dumb looks on their faces. Needless to say.....they didn't want us to catch them.
I mean come on. We had standard size decoys, mags, super mags, FB's, silo's and two flyers. The stupidity of people.
Anyways...we had a great time.....even though, the heavens opened up on us. LMAO....as I layed there and it was raining like cats and dogs...I said to the sky.....you couldn't rain any harder could you.....hell yes. A monsoon, in NB....geezzz.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:18 am

Yeah, people around here are pretty good folks for the most part...not too many goose hunters either, which is nice. Most of the goose hunters around here are friends of mine...and we all got into it about the same time.

I have to tell ya, your Grandfalls story makes me want to stay clear of there. I know the guys up there like to hunt...especially deer...but I can see how they would pull a stunt like they did on you guys. I have thought about that situation happening to us a few times, knock on wood it hasn't, but it is always in the back of my mind....especially when you have guys driving fields hoping to find a deer. I would never use one of those goose chairs for that reason....I can see some idiot around here trying to bag the biggest goose ever.

So if you are down in Illinois, you must be in the heart of Foiles country are you?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Yup, right in the heart of float the forth Foiles.
To be honest with you....him or Tim Grounds....which is his home state.....neither one is well liked. Yes there are small circles of young and some older fans of theirs....but overall....not very well liked.
I only know a small portion of the stories.....so I can't realy get into it.
I'll tell you this......alot of people on many different hunting forums...people have sold off decoys, calls, blinds and other gear of Jeff Foiles.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm

I find that weird that, that a lot of Illinois people dislike Foiles or Grounds. They aren't considered the "local boys done good"?? Foiles seems to have a healthy following over on his Forum. Is it a jealousy thing?

I like Jeff's videos...I guess I would call myself a fan of him...if "fan" is the proper term. You got me curious as to what those stories are?? If ya ever get the itch to share one, send me a PM. :wink:
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Jealousy...for some I would have to agree...but not all.
I'll not go into details.....but has to due with his pro-staff, how he conducts himself in ceratin public circles, and so on.
These are from the horses mouth so to speak.
Ya...I was on the foiles forum....and like anyother pro-staff forums....alot of ego stroking.
Now...one can't fault them for that. If one believes in the product that they are promoting or work for...sure...you would defend them.
But, I've seen both sides of the wall. What I mean by that is....there were a few companies I had worked for.....and did my utmost for them. As time went by.....my perception changed. The products I still believe in....but the people that ran these companies....not so much.
Being from Canada, and or other States...makes it hard to know everything...and like I stated...I don't know everything...but I know enough to stir clear.....but I don't want to talk or change your mind on him....that would be for other folks to make their own minds up about him.
I'll say one more thing.......in certain places...he is having it tough, getting access to farmers land...just because they heard of his reputation. I'm not sure 100% of all the details......but not it's looking good for him. Asking a negitive question about him on his forum....will get you kicked in the man-hood so to speak.
Thats all I got to say about that. :hammer:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Well, I have to say...the more I read your posts...the more intrigued I am. But, I won't press ya for anymore. But if ya ever feel the need to share more...I am all ears.

I don't want to start any Foiles bashing or anything, don't think that. Again, I enjoy his videos and would am a fan of his. I just figured Jeff would be Mr. Rural Illinois so to speak with all the success he has had.

On an unrelated note, my new Dead Meat Mallard and Timber Rattler came today. Although the TR is for my brother. Got a couple of Foiles hats also.

What do you use for calls?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:34 pm

I use these calls.
http://www.winglockcalls.com/

I also use HS calls, Train Wreck, Southern Game calls. I have some older Big River, and Olt calls.
I only have two acrylic calls. A duck and goose call, from wing lock.
The rest are wooden, and poly calls.
Sometime I'll share those stories with you. The Foiles calls you have a decent calls. He does make a very nice product.
LOL....I'm glad I'm able to entertain you Tim......and I have many more entertaining posts to come....just get me on the right subject....and they may never stop. :rolleyes: :rofl:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Yeah, I have heard of winglock calls...never really looked into them much. But I will check out the website. I would like to add a wooden duck or goose call to the lanyard.

Yeah, I would enjoy hearing those stories some time. But just for clarification, I think I may have misunderstood one of your last posts, is it Jeff himself of his staffers that the "locals" have the issues with?

Ya know, it is funny, my only impression of Foiles is based from what I have see in his DVD's. On there he seems like a pretty decent fella, good spirited and is a great waterfowl hunter. Then, when you actually talk to somebody from his neck of the woods, and hear things may not be what they seem.....just makes a guy curious. I guess everyone has their skeletons in the closet.

Anyways, so how long ago was it when you were hunting around here?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:27 pm

These are the other duck & goose calls I use.

I can get that "ring" out of two of these calls. One would be the red & blue diamond wood call, and the other is the blue colored bill collector. Not bad for inexpensive calls. The other three calls are dbl/reed calls, which are great for marshes, rivers and small ponds. Now...one could use these on most days....but I like to keep a single reed on my lanyard....for those windy days. The louder the better....but I also want that call, to had some badass low end as well.
What do the diamond wood calls retail for up in Canada?....as well as the bill collectors.
I believe I purchased the diamondwood calls for $45.00 a piece, and I think it was like $20.00 and $15.00 for the bill collectors. I got one on sale.
The train wreck is a goose call. Very loud and easy to run....but I think I'm going to trade it...or sell it.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Not sure if any of you use a drake mallard call. It's a great call for later on in the season, but also for teal, widgeon, and sprig.
When the blacks are hard to decoy....I use the widgeon call, and pulled in a few, that I couldn't persuade otherwise.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:53 pm

I have no idea how much a diamond wood would cost up here, but you can bet it is more than the US price...likely about 20.00 more or so.

I always order my stuff from the States...especially with the dollar the way it is. Plus, we can always have things shipped into Maine and just drive over and pick it up....saves on international shipping and handling charges.

I almost purchased one of those Bill Collectors last year and thought about getting that diamond wood through Cabelas. The Bill Collectors retail for 30.00 or so around here...give or take.

I got my Strait Meat Honker through Cabelas...well actually Santa Clause did, but anyways, it was 149.00 from them. At the McAdam Gun Dealer I heard it retails for 200.00...plus tax I assume. Just an idea of the price differences for ya.
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:54 am

You got a dandy price on the SMH. I would agree with you on the $20.00 difference...if not more.
It's been awhile, since I was able to do the price difference. Them shipping, handling, GST, duty, and all those other BS charges really make it hard to come up with the greenbacks....for your favorite item.
Living close to the border...as youself and many other....but living in the Miramichi as I did......we basically had to swallow that....and pay out the nose.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:15 am

Yeah, we are lucky to be close to the boarder as we are. It also helps to fill the car up with gas also. I don't know if the price was dandy or not, compared to the Canadian price it was, but that much money for a goose call is a hard pill to swallow.

I ordered some FA goose shells from some place out of Missouri, got them off ebay for 60.00....by the time they got here and I paid the difference in the money at the time, I ended up paying 140.00 Canadian. Which, was still okay, considering they usually retail for over 100 US, but they charged me 40.00 handling fee or brokers fee to bring them across the boardre. I would like to know what they did to earn that 40.00???

So, I assume it was work that took you down to Illinois?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:52 am

Timbo4 wrote:Yeah, we are lucky to be close to the boarder as we are. It also helps to fill the car up with gas also. I don't know if the price was dandy or not, compared to the Canadian price it was, but that much money for a goose call is a hard pill to swallow.

I ordered some FA goose shells from some place out of Missouri, got them off ebay for 60.00....by the time they got here and I paid the difference in the money at the time, I ended up paying 140.00 Canadian. Which, was still okay, considering they usually retail for over 100 US, but they charged me 40.00 handling fee or brokers fee to bring them across the boardre. I would like to know what they did to earn that 40.00???

So, I assume it was work that took you down to Illinois?

Work no...a wonderful woman...YES.....OMG...I can't believe I just said that..... :rofl:
Yes....those brokers fees are a lil over the top. Wait till you need reeds for your call. It's been said....some have had to pay upwards of close to $20.00 US funds...and most of that was shipping & handling... to get 2 reeds.....and thats shipped within the US.....I would hate to see shipped back to Canada. Now, this doesn't happen all the time....but good luck if you need them.....or God forbid a new barrel or insert. Yes his calls are warranted for life I believe...but he'll nail you for shipping.
The best part.....shipping is very cheap here. How long of a time frame does it take a staff member to pop a couple of reeds in the mail........especially after paying out the wazzoo for a call of his.
I could ship those same reeds...for pennies....you guys make the call on that one.
Now my buddy from Winglock calls.....is a super duper guy. He has fixed, repaired and sent reeds....for absolutely $0.00....even shipping. Now...the nice person that I am...sent him a few dollars to help cover it. He basically didn't know why I sent it...and was willing to send it back.....I told him no!!....plz keep it.
Rick Perry.....founder of Winglock, was a contest caller and is getting his name out there. His calls are just as good if not better, then all the BIG BRAND NAMED calls
Tim Grounds helped him develop his original calls. He also uses Echo guts in most of his duck calls I believe. He is now coming out with a comp call very soon. He is very opptomistic it will be right there at the top. He has quite a few guys wanting to run the calling circut.....and see what they'll do. One of the ones I have....is pretty close to being a comp call. It is truely sweet. It gets to that hi ringing sound.....to down right dirty and nasty.
There are many non big named brand call makers here.....and are top quality....so it's hard for me to understand why folks what that other product. I've tried just about all the big names.....but always comeback to the calls I use.
Anyways....sorry for the rant...and have a Happy St. Paddies Day.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Timbo4

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 am

Here are those Winglock calls that I use. One the duck calls is poly hedge, and the other is all hedge. Both are doble reed....but sound so differently. The other four calls are of maple, delrin, and acrylic.
The duck call in acrylic was my first Winglock and so was the Shortreed Delrin Goose call. I had one of Ricks Whisper goose calls in Delrin, but rarely used it...so I sold it to a buddy of mine.
The True Tone call you see there, is a maple with burbon insert, and is also a dbl/reed. Very nice sound...and has a pretty good top end.....for a dbl/reed that is.
The Nasty Boy call, is when I went to Bass Pro Shops for an interview, and bought it there. I never got the job...I guess that was alright...since it would have been a horrible 2+ hour comute to there.
Now....you see the 2 Big River calls on the left hand end. Well, that company doesn't exsist anymore....and the guy still live in Dunlap IL, not far from where one of my buddies lives. That is about....oh!! a lil over an hour away. Well, the guy that owned Big River Calls is Mick Lacey. He now makes again...his own line of calls.
The story goes.....he was going into retirement....sold the B/R company...to two guys....and they basically put the company into the ground. When they couldn't afford to pay Mr. Lacey, he had to come out of retirement......and the rest is history. It's sad really...because I still have a few of them calls, and had others.
I'll tell you.....there is so much waterfowling history here in IL....that I'm barely scratching the surface...as far as knowledge of it.
A ton of call and decoy makers and carvers. Purdue...I think I'm spelling that correct or it might be Perdue. This guy I believe has past...but his calls and decoys bring high dollar values to his works.
I never really knew this, until this fall.
Do any of you have "The La Master Method" Waterfowl ID book. If you do....that gentleman lived, as he's passed....lived near Rick Perry, owner of Winglock Calls. The place is called Chillicothe....which is 45 minutes S/W of me. It's so cool, to live within the enormous amount of history. I can't get enough of it.
It's kind of ironic in someway...as I purchased my copy of the ID book on PEI....when on my first honeymoon.
Oh!!...OLT games calls are from here as well....but is now called D.J Game calls. This guys once worked for OLT.
Anyways....sorry again for the rant...just though ya'll might be intersted.

Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:52 am

Check this out. You'll see how many call makes there is from here. I'm pretty sure it's only listing older call and the like. Looking back at these calls....I've had a few of them different calls, in one form or another.
I thought this was a cool fact.
"Duck Call Carvers
In the central Illinois River area, Beardstown produced some duck-call carvers whose style tended to feature a fatter barrel. The stretch of river from Beardstown north to LaSalle, Illinois allegedly boasted more call makers than any other area in the United States."
Beardstown, is about 2 hours south of me...and LaSalle is where I live. The history is just over whelming

http://community-2.webtv.net/GloriaSB/D ... index.html

This site gives you a small insight, to how things were done on the IL River years ago.
You'll never believe tha amount of duck clubs that line the IL River. I'm not sure how many there is....but it's hard to find a spot on the river to hunt.....unless it's a private spot. If you try and hunt where there is a club....you're gunna know about it...or the DNR is all over you like flies on a screendoor.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/ ... nting.html
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah I know....I have thought about when I need to get reeds. When I ordered my duck call, I oringinally was just going to get one call and that was it. Well I started to order online and seen the shipping was 23.00. So I didn't order at the time.

When I went back again to order, I ordered my call, a call for my brother & two ball caps. Shipping was 26.00 for the entire lot. All that extra stuff for only 3.00 more dollars. The thought of paying 20.00 to have reeds sent my way is crazy.

The more I read online about waterfowling, I started to gather that Illinois is crazy for waterfowling. Your last post confirms it. A buddy of mine seen on TV the revenue that waterfowling brings in each year to the state of Illinois...it was pretty crazy. I can't remember the exact dollar amount...millions. That section about the trained duck flier is pretty amazing.
Last edited by Timbo4 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Getting permission was granted pretty easy, on the Miramichi as well. To go anywhere, anytime...was fabulous. Definately different here.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Rob,

Did you my PM about my edited post? I wasn't sure if the PM went through or not?
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:16 pm

I recieved two PM's, so yes I did...I think...LOL
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Duck Hunting