Dog not eating when not with pack

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog not eating when not with pack

Postby Minneguy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm

My Aussie journey grew up as a part of a pack of 4 dogs. Recently I moved, and now he is almost not eating anything when he is here alone with me. I have literally tried everything, bought 250$ worth of different foods, wet, dry, everything. The only time he will eat anything is when he is visiting his pack. I'm at a loss. I think I will have to expedite my search for a gun dog and find him a pack mate ASAP. He is in love with a German shorthair female, they get along as well as any pair of dogs I've ever seen and she is 7 years his senior ( I guess he likes the older wimmen haha). Does anyone have any tips to help me get him eating again? It's been two months, if it weren't for constant visits to my girlfriends place, I don't know what I would do to keep the weight on him. I really need help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Re: Dog not eating when not with pack

Postby Webfootwhacker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:18 pm

I've got one that doesn't eat sometimes but will still eat treats. I've found that if they get a treat it can work like an appetizer and then they will eat their meal. Worth a shot anyway.
Webfootwhacker
Newb

Postby Minneguy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Web, I've tried that . Still doesn't work. Thanks for the tip though, did anything else work for you?

Minneguy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

maybe??? eat your tea at same time??? assuming its an inside dog..... I wont let my dog look while we eat but hes allowed to stay nearby.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:12 pm

This sounds stupid but when my dog seems uninterested and I need to her to hurry up and eat I will pick up her bowl and act like I am eating it. I put it down and she goes to town.
berudd
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Put down a nice bowl full of raw hamburger meat.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 am

Elvis I tried that, he will just go lay under the table. He knows he's not allowed to beg from the table, so you'd think he would go eat when he sees me eating.
Berudd, I've done that with other dogs to great success, I'll have to give it a shot!!
Bckmeister, in order to get him to eat i have given him raw meat. He will eat treats from hand but didn't want to eat from his bowl unless it was something like raw meat.
He finally ate two cups yesterday and you have no idea how happy I was. I'll see if he will eat more today.
Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming in. You never know what will work.

Minneguy
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Keep in mind he's not stupid and will eventually get hungry enough to eat. I'm sure this will pass in time it will just be hard to watch in the meantime. Maybe a little more exercise will make him hungry as well.
berudd
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Have him checked for parasites.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 pm

He's all good on parasites, was just in the vet. He's finally eating a little bit more. To prove my theory, I borrowed my neighbors lab puppy for a couple days, he ate like his usual self when he had someone to play with. Took the puppy away, and it slowed but he will at least eat some.

Minneguy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum