ghg pro grade?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

ghg pro grade?

Postby henny hen hen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

How does the paint hold up on ghg pro grade? I typically haul my decoys in a standard bag or on Texas rig with no bag. I like the looks of them. I don't own any myself I heard the hot buys suck paint wise. Wondering if the pro grade would be a good investment. I am interested in floaters and full body's. Also is the plastic they use any good? Should I just get avian x?
henny hen hen
hunter

Re: ghg pro grade?

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Get avain-x. Best mallard decoys on the market. They are also coming out with BWT, GWT, Sprig, Woodies, and FB mallards this spring. I'll be getting some of each. However, I do plan on getting some GHG pro-grade Widgeon. They look just plain amazing.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Pro grades hold paint well, and the realism of the decoy you can see. I have no problem with my hot buys. Ran 10 dozen brand new hot buy magnums this year, they got caught in ice once sat out quite a bit, all texas rigged. Held paint very nicely, and look awesome. As far as bang for your buck goes, my personal fav is the life size series mallards.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:56 am

SPatrick wrote:Pro grades hold paint well, and the realism of the decoy you can see. I have no problem with my hot buys. Ran 10 dozen brand new hot buy magnums this year, they got caught in ice once sat out quite a bit, all texas rigged. Held paint very nicely, and look awesome. As far as bang for your buck goes, my personal fav is the life size series mallards.

the life sizes are some of my favorites too.

for full bodies we run Dakotas and GHG. the GHG's are a better buy. But they only come with push in the ground steaks where as the Dakotas come with stands and look better, as well as they're more durable.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby slickerhater » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:50 am

I always get stands and stakes with my GHG fullbodies
slickerhater
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 pm

I have run Pro Grades for 4 years now and really like them. I use to bag em but have started Texas Rigging because it saves so much time. Hot Buys are a great decoy if you want numbers because they are not exspensive and they are really light weight. I let some sit in a pond all summer, for dog training, and they looked new when I pulled them out.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 pm

we work with both and I really like both the avian x and the ghg pro grades, the avian x concern me a bit with their flexible nature, but only time will tell how they do in the long run. With a flexible decoy the paint can sometimes get brittle with age and crack and flake off, that usually won't happen till the third or fourth year depending on the amount of time they've spent in the sun. It also would depend on the type of paint used on the avian x, if it's flexible and remains flexible over time it shouldn't be a problem.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Almost done with my first season of some new GHG prograde January Mallards. They were in a normal decoy bag. The ones with molded on heads have a decent amount of chipping however the ones with rotating heads still look great. The ones that are chipping it is only on the heads and isn't visible from more than 20 yards. Just some info.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby redheaded » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:37 pm

I have a pack of pro grade wigeon that scratched quite easily and so I sent pictures to the company, he said he was awaiting permission from his supervisor and I haven't heard back from him for 2 weeks. Great decoys but I'm a bit concerned.
redheaded
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 am

SPatrick wrote:Pro grades hold paint well, and the realism of the decoy you can see. I have no problem with my hot buys. Ran 10 dozen brand new hot buy magnums this year, they got caught in ice once sat out quite a bit, all texas rigged. Held paint very nicely, and look awesome. As far as bang for your buck goes, my personal fav is the life size series mallards.

I could have written that same post myself. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 am

I run all pro grades and they paint on them is great. I have mallards, widgeon and gwt. They all go normal bags and I have had no issues with chipping. The oldest ones are 2 years old. I normally clear coat all of my decoys regardless of brand. However I did not clear coat the last 2 dozen pro grades I bought abd the still look brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby gcmallards » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 pm

GHG pro-grades all the way. best mallard decoy you can get besides dakota deeks. i run 18-30 depending were im hunting and they work awsome! paint is flawless iv had mine for 3 seasons and if i wash the dirt off with the hose every once and a wile they look brand new still, i keep 12 on a texas rig as a grab bag and the rest in mesh bags. cant go wrong with ghg and they back DU
gcmallards
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum