Puppy Question.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Puppy Question.

Postby Smoke238eater » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Hey guys still looking at upcoming litters, have a few I really like found. None are super close. I have a question. When i pick up a new pup should i let the dog ride up front in the truck with me or would it be better to ride in a insulated kennel in the bed. I know if it rides in the kennel i'll have to make some frequent stops. What do you do or recommend?
Smoke238eater
hunter

Re: Puppy Question.

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Smoke238eater wrote:Hey guys still looking at upcoming litters, have a few I really like found. None are super close. I have a question. When i pick up a new pup should i let the dog ride up front in the truck with me or would it be better to ride in a insulated kennel in the bed. I know if it rides in the kennel i'll have to make some frequent stops. What do you do or recommend?

Someone is bound to answer your question. Before they do I'll take the opportunity to ask you to think about your question and come up with why one or the other might be a good or bad idea for a little puppy.

Might help you later.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Personally, if you can, I would put the kennel on the cab and let her ride in there. A cold windy truck bed could be pretty traumatic. Bring ear plugs though.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 am

Just did this this weekend... i normally always take one of those small pet carriers and keep them up front That way they warm and I can keep a eye on them But make sure its a small carrier!!!! A big one they will be up and moving around and take the chance of getting thrown around while in the truck..
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Smoke238eater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks guys, I have thought about it alot HNTFSH, each one has its pro's and con's so I thought I would get some opinions, I do think I will do what you said Willie,
Thanks guys.
:beer:
Smoke238eater
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 am

10 to date have all rode home in my lap. But it's wise to schedule an airing stop (though not where other dogs may have left infectious germs) very shortly into that first ride and at longer intervals thereafter.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am

Rick Hall wrote:10 to date have all rode home in my lap. But it's wise to schedule an airing stop (though not where other dogs may have left infectious germs) very shortly into that first ride and at longer intervals thereafter.

Same here. And where else would they ride, when they are the cutest they will ever be? :biggrin: Also, the sudden separation from mom and littermates can make that first ride a traumatic one. I like to be able to comfort the little guy on the way home. I know, I'm a softie. Don't tell anyone.
Last edited by RustyGunz1960 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am

Truth be told normally the Mrs holds the pup most the time!

Yeah we went on a 8 hour drive there couple years ago to get a pup... Took 10 to get home! :lol3: Lots of stops on off ramps for pup to do his thing..

like rick said DONT do it at truck stop!!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Smoke238eater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 am

Ya, Rick read my mind, I was actually talking to my wife about that very same thing last night. Don't want to stop somewhere the little pup can pick something left behind by another dog. I like the idea of the kennel inside the truck because thats how the dog will be riding the rest of his life so i might as well start now right?
Thanks for the help guys
Smoke238eater
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 am

Smoke238eater wrote:Thanks guys, I have thought about it alot HNTFSH, each one has its pro's and con's so I thought I would get some opinions, I do think I will do what you said Willie,
Thanks guys.
:beer:

All good advice as given. The point I wanted you to consider (based on reading thousands of posts from new trainers) is that this is a puppy. If you were to crate the pup in the back of a truck you may well create a pup that will never get in one again. It's a baby. You have to consider it a baby and rear it like a baby.

Just like when you get the pup home. Raise it, teach it, understand it. Let it understand you.

Puppies need to build confidence, with your help. They are not to be truck crated, thrown complex marks, 'trained' too hard or have expectations put on them they cannot handle.

Learning and thinking about what causes puppy stress is a valuable skill.

Good luck.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 am

When I got my pup last year he rode in the passenger seat of of a crate, multiple stops along the way. Now it is a fight to get him out of the seat, he and the lady think it is their seat.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 am

I might also suggest a few towels and a pack of wetwipes and a trash bag as pups are inclined to get car sick and throw up at times. Also, the occasional accident happens as well. You'll be glad you had them.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Smoke238eater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the tips, I guess the wife found my post, looks like she's probably gonna be holding the pup :fingerhead: lol
Smoke238eater
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum