Duck Hunting Forum banner

Last Chance Weekend!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bigsprig 
#1 ·
Who's going after 'em? Gonna be a big blow and cold. Gotta get some - the birds are down. Hope to end the season on a good note. sw 20-25 will be ok as we hunt the west side of the water. Last trip saw lots of divers, geese, and pretty good numbers of puddlers.
:beer:

#4 ·
I wish I could say we had been seeing them like that. We went last Saturday and came home with 1 Canadian. Had a group of ducks circle the island we were at and land in the spread. However is was directly in the reflection of the sun. Our fault for setting up there but the wind was killer that day too and kinda forced our hand to setup that direction. We are gonna give one finally shot on Sunday. Would have have to go both weekends. May try and sneak a quick walk-in on Greentree wma Saturday if I can get a kitchen pass. My niece has a bday get together on Saturday. So no big water hunt on both days for me.

#5 ·
That wind being SW is keeping me from going to a honey hole I know, but usually the only way I'd hunt there any way is to be at the landing by 1:30 am and I am pretty tired of getting there that early.

#6 ·
The weatherman missed the forecast just a little bit. Instead of 20 degrees with 10-15 SW wind it was 8 degrees and 15-20 @ 4am.
SW wind is only way we could have gone to our spot. We were hunting west side of lake. Call was for wind to pick up later in morning and gusty. We had out more divers than puddlers. Backed way of on number due to the wind. It still was a PITA - long line in the prop. :mad: Saw a few pairs - 3 & 4's early. Some black ducks and green heads. We got off 3 shots appease at some bluebill and wiffed. :no: Mid morning nada flying. Lots of shots fired at nearby WMA but, none came our way. Not even any geese? Figured the cold weather and being late season we would get some action - was not no be. By 8:45 the heater would no longer stay lit in the blind due to the wind. About 10 'til 10 we decided to go ahead and get the deks up before wind got any worst. Headed to landing at 10:30. 3.5' rollers tight and white caps. The downwind side of the lake looked like the ocean. Good we were in CC and not the jon boat. Good chat with Mr green jeans at landing. Buddy got warning ticket on regis on boat but, they were cool. They said lots of shooting on WMA but, not much killing! Not how we wanted to end season. Only two good hunts this year. Well - always next year. Bummer. :huh:

#7 ·
'We went last Saturday and came home with 1 Canadian" :huh:

What did that poor Canadian do to you?

You can find plenty of them at Myrtle Beach.

Did you by chance mean a Canada Goose?

Just saying. :hi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.