questions for brass loaders

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

questions for brass loaders

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:36 pm

want to start loading for our .308 and remington 6mm. I already have the rcbs chargmaster. right now in my cart at cabelas (i have points to use) i have a rockchucker supreme press and the rcbs universal hand primer. what else do I need? do I need a case trimmer? Do I need a media tumbler? bullet puller? the trim mate case prep center looks interesting, is that a useful tool or a gimmick? eventually we want to be able to load high precision rounds for shooting long ranges but right now just want the basics to start learning. want to make sure I get everyhting I "need" on this order to utilize a rebate offer
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Re: questions for brass loaders

Postby baltz526 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

A case trimmer is required. A bullet puller is a useful tool. Look at the parts in the RCBS master kit. I use the RCBS sizing lube and pad. Others like the spray on lube. I do not. You need a chamfering tool
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 pm

baltz526 wrote:A case trimmer is required. A bullet puller is a useful tool. Look at the parts in the RCBS master kit. I use the RCBS sizing lube and pad. Others like the spray on lube. I do not. You need a chamfering tool

thanks, is the camfering tool on the trim mate tool adequate? looks like it would be a nice tool but im ignorant on the subject
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:28 pm

also, is a standard dial caliper adequate? I saw a case trimmer that had a dial guage on it, whats that for?
jehler

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 pm

jehler wrote:want to start loading for our .308 and remington 6mm. I already have the rcbs chargmaster. right now in my cart at cabelas (i have points to use) i have a rockchucker supreme press and the rcbs universal hand primer. what else do I need? do I need a case trimmer? Do I need a media tumbler? bullet puller? the trim mate case prep center looks interesting, is that a useful tool or a gimmick? eventually we want to be able to load high precision rounds for shooting long ranges but right now just want the basics to start learning. want to make sure I get everyhting I "need" on this order to utilize a rebate offer

Plus the parts baltz has identified. Not sure just what you have but I will give you a list"
Press, I use a Bonanza Co_Ax that everyone eventually copied but I also have a Dillon progressive for pistol ammo and rifle too
dies for each caliber, I prefer the Bonanza dies sets, kind of time dating myself here, over 50 years of casting and loading ammo.
shell holder for each unless they use the same number for both the 308 and 6mm
bullet puller inertia type, they have a universal head work for my 223 to 375 H&H
primer mechanism and shell holder heads for each caliber, the Lee units work well
primer flipper tray
case trimmer - again shell heads, 308 and 6mm pilots
Vernier caliper
lube applicator - tray type and liquid lube, no preference they all work about the same, lanolin is the key ingredient.
loading trays to hold the shells
you already have the powder dispenser
case mate prep centre would be handy but not necessary, a few hand tools will do the job just as well
A tumbler and media to clean everything up before they get to the dies.
If you are getting in to target shooting long range then you can make use of some precision instrumentation but the above will do you for now, it's worked for me, hope I haven't forgotten anything.
If you are going to use lead cast bullets:
you need a Lyman "M" die and pilots for each caliber
a 450 Lyman style lubesizer with dies and lube
a melting pot and ladle, an old wooden hammer handle or equivalent to shear the sprues from the mould.
moulds w/handles for each bullet style/weight, leather mitts and eye protection.
A source for lead wheel weights etc.

Lots of brass, bullets , primers, more powder, more time and a lot more money LMAO and you though shotshell loading was expensive....
Welcome to the club John.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Bill
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 pm

jehler wrote:want to start loading for our .308 and remington 6mm. I already have the rcbs chargmaster. right now in my cart at cabelas (i have points to use) i have a rockchucker supreme press and the rcbs universal hand primer. what else do I need? do I need a case trimmer? Do I need a media tumbler? bullet puller? the trim mate case prep center looks interesting, is that a useful tool or a gimmick? eventually we want to be able to load high precision rounds for shooting long ranges but right now just want the basics to start learning. want to make sure I get everyhting I "need" on this order to utilize a rebate offer

jehler,

i use the lee case trimers ...you buy them for each round that you have for rifle ect.

you buy the cutter and lock stud...then get case length gage and holder per caliber rifle you have. there is no way to mess up all case's will be the same length. i use cordless drill to spin case's.
http://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html
http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioni ... uge-holder

the rcbs impact bullet buller works for all rounds of rifle pistol ect.

the collet pullers have to get collets for each bullet diamater and if the bullets are set to deep then you will need one of the impact pullers because the collets can not grab the bullets properlly.

you will need a case cleaner.

i like this primimg tool from rcbs leverage type

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainSe ... te=C06J030

hope this helps
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

jehler wrote:also, is a standard dial caliper adequate? I saw a case trimmer that had a dial guage on it, whats that for?

The qauge makes it faster and easier to read for people like me who have a hard job seeing those little lines on the vernier lol.
You need it to set the depth of your bullets for OAL constrictions.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm

jehler wrote:
baltz526 wrote:A case trimmer is required. A bullet puller is a useful tool. Look at the parts in the RCBS master kit. I use the RCBS sizing lube and pad. Others like the spray on lube. I do not. You need a chamfering tool

thanks, is the camfering tool on the trim mate tool adequate? looks like it would be a nice tool but im ignorant on the subject

Bonanza made a little tool called a Cricket, it would inside and outside chamfer the case mouth . Makes it easier for the bullets to enter the case mouth.
Bill
lostknife4
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm

any input on case cleaners?
jehler

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Most of my moulds are SAECO a few Lyman and some LEE
Bill
lostknife4
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:56 pm

dont think I want to get into casting bullets, i cant make a decent sinker for fishing lol
jehler

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:12 pm

jehler wrote:any input on case cleaners?

do you have harbor freight around you if so.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... q=tumblers
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... lnut+blend
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/154412 ... ase-polish

get 20 percent coupon out of the magazones for tumbler even cheaper...

if no harbor freight get resonable priced tumbler and media and get flitz to re-new the media for cleaning.

this tool is needed if you do not want to clean the brass between firing s for primer pockets or other brands tools. .

http://leeprecision.com/primer-pocket-cleaner.html
Last edited by goosepit2007 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:14 pm

lostknife4 wrote:

Plus the parts baltz has identified. Not sure just what you have but I will give you a list"
Press, I use a Bonanza Co_Ax that everyone eventually copied but I also have a Dillon progressive for pistol ammo and rifle too
dies for each caliber, I prefer the Bonanza dies sets, kind of time dating myself here, over 50 years of casting and loading ammo.
shell holder for each unless they use the same number for both the 308 and 6mm
bullet puller inertia type, they have a universal head work for my 223 to 375 H&H
primer mechanism and shell holder heads for each caliber, the Lee units work well
primer flipper tray
case trimmer - again shell heads, 308 and 6mm pilots
Vernier caliper
lube applicator - tray type and liquid lube, no preference they all work about the same, lanolin is the key ingredient.
loading trays to hold the shells
you already have the powder dispenser
case mate prep centre would be handy but not necessary, a few hand tools will do the job just as well
A tumbler and media to clean everything up before they get to the dies.
If you are getting in to target shooting long range then you can make use of some precision instrumentation but the above will do you for now, it's worked for me, hope I haven't forgotten anything.
If you are going to use lead cast bullets:
you need a Lyman "M" die and pilots for each caliber
a 450 Lyman style lubesizer with dies and lube
a melting pot and ladle, an old wooden hammer handle or equivalent to shear the sprues from the mould.
moulds w/handles for each bullet style/weight, leather mitts and eye protection.
A source for lead wheel weights etc.

Lots of brass, bullets , primers, more powder, more time and a lot more money LMAO and you though shotshell loading was expensive....
Welcome to the club John.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Bill

And your Gold MasterCard......... :lol3:
Buy a starter kit with everything in it, then buy all the extra goodies.
Don't get a dry media case tumbler either, mine's been sitting on the shelf for years, I went to the chemical wet cleaning system quite a few years ago and never went back. 10 minutes vs hours to clean cases!!!!
How about Lyman Metallic loading manual, best investment you can make.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:18 pm

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumb ... leaner.php

if do not want to use tumbler works perty good too.

or get sonic cleaner from harbor freight then get turbo sonic cleaning solutions from lyman products.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:29 pm

This is all you need and it works well,
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e ... 34072.aspx
deprime the brass and let it soak for just a bit then you can just use a Q tip and clean your primer pockets out when the cases are done soaking. Most dry tumblers don't get all the crud out of primer pockets anyway.
It's cheaper, faster, doesn't use electricity, AND YOU DON"T HAVE TO LISTEN TO ONE OF THOSE STUPID TUMBLERS GRINDING AWAY FOR HOURS AT A TIME IT'S FLIPPING ANNOYING :hammer:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby jehler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:42 pm

BT Justice wrote:This is all you need and it works well,
deprime the brass and let it soak for just a bit then you can just use a Q tip and clean your primer pockets out when the cases are done soaking. Most dry tumblers don't get all the crud out of primer pockets anyway.
It's cheaper, faster, doesn't use electricity, AND YOU DON"T HAVE TO LISTEN TO ONE OF THOSE STUPID TUMBLERS GRINDING AWAY FOR HOURS AT A TIME IT'S FLIPPING ANNOYING :hammer:

ok, cool, so I dont need one of those ultasonic things then, just a bucket?

thinking I may do the rcbs supreme reloading kit from cabelas and just sell the new chargmaster that comes with it :huh:
jehler

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:43 pm

WOW I didn't know they made this stuff, I'm still stuck at about 1965 or 1966................. LOL
Great recommendation Jehler go for it.
Bill
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 pm

[quote="jehler"
thinking I may do the rcbs supreme reloading kit from cabelas and just sell the new chargmaster that comes with it :huh:[/quote]

I'd keep it if it will weigh TSS............. or you could send it to me and I will experiment with it for a couple years.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

revised
Last edited by lostknife4 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Seriously you have the basics already with your experience reloading shotshells so as BT suggested the Lyman Reloading Manual and watch a few U-tube videos or if Lyman or any of the other manufacturers have any videos it would be informative to watch them.
A Platinum AMEX would also be an asset as well as a stuck case remover, we all have done this at one time!
It's not rocket science and if you take your time and go through the process step by step and keep questioning every step then you will be ok.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:32 pm

jehler wrote:

thinking I may do the rcbs supreme reloading kit from cabelas and just sell the new chargmaster that comes with it :huh:

this is same concept just soak 5 minutes or less
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumb ... leaner.php
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81l62J1VmI

Check out the above video. I saw this video and set up my RCBS Case Prep Center just like the one in this video. It is pretty handy to have the Lee Trimming cutter mounted on the RCBS Case Prep Center.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:23 pm

jehler wrote:

I tried an ultrasonic cleaner that I bought locally from a jewelry supply house, I didn't think that it did any better than just swirling the brass around in the solution in a bucket. The ultrasonic cleaner works great for sifting buffer into shells fast though so it has a use now.. :yes:
That Iosso stuff works pretty good, your not going to get cases out if it with a mirror shine but they will be clean and brite.
I got turned on to the stuff by friend who was a USMC armorer, thing I like about it is grungy sooty cases come very clean with very little effort, a small rag and wipe if they have any soot on them when they come out and the soot is gone.
To get the same effect in tumbler takes upwards of five to six hours and sometimes more.
Only downside of the liquid is you have to know when it finally looses it's cleaning effectivenss, usually it's black as coal so you know it's time to replace.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 am

Buy a LEE deprimer pin punch and base unit to deprime the cases before you clean them so you don't have dirty cases in your dies. I know they made them to deprime military hulls but not sure if the make them for 6mm, if not just turn the pin punch down in a lathe so it will work.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes