Duck hunters of the day award goes to...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Duck hunters of the day award goes to...

Postby bandedbrant » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Or should I venture to say duck hunters of the year. At LST we were set up in our blind at Merced. A large flight of Sand Hill Cranes took flight only to have the worst day ever. They were being fired upon by the three guys in Blind B at Merced. If you are on here you know who you are. They were only lucky enough to miss until the fourth time. They sailed a sand hill to the far side of their field. Moments later we hear the finishing shoots. We decided to call Cal Tip and report them. As we were dialing a flight of geese came through so we sat down and decided it could wait 10 minutes til the geese were gone. A group of snows fly over our blind at about 150-200 yards and skirt their blind. 9 shots fired and some how 1 falls right into the closed and they start running in after it. They continued to shoot birds over 100 yards all day but the best was when they shot at a group of specks at a minimum of 250-300 yardsWe could only tell they were specks because of their call. And to the fools in blind 9 your measly dozen speck decoys were only getting the birds to come down to 150 yards but apparently you can still hit them from there. We ended the day with not a single oppurtinity because of the sky scrapers. I hope you guys learn from what happened today. And realize what sky scraping does for everyone including yourself. And to the rest of you hope you had a better shoot than I did today...
bandedbrant
hunter

Re: Duck hunters of the day award goes to...

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:45 pm

I think a rant sticky thread should be created. I love reading these stories.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby deltahunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Did anyone come out and pop the guys with the sandhill? I've seen that done at LK on opening day and I am certain those guys got busted. Watched the federal agent shaking em down.
deltahunter
hunter

Postby mikemac » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:25 pm

I hear the cranes taste good. One can legally shot them in Nevada, I am told. They certainly do not fly 150 yds in the sky.....
mikemac
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Yet another meaningless rant that means nothing to the DHC elite members....

In case you don't know all members of DHC would never do such a thing and a rant about it simply makes no sense ...

I agree with sgt a rant chat is needed for these guys who whine and whiune and whine time after time after time year after year after year well you get the picture right... :help: :help: :help:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Yet another meaningless rant that means nothing to the DHC elite members....

In case you don't know all members of DHC would never do such a thing and a rant about it simply makes no sense ...

I agree with sgt a rant chat is needed for these guys who whine and whiune and whine time after time after time year after year after year well you get the picture right... :help: :help: :help:

Rice guys bitch about no birds.
Refuge guys bitch at all the other guys sky busting.

I give up.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
yellowdog53 wrote:Yet another meaningless rant that means nothing to the DHC elite members....

Rice guys bitch about no birds.
Refuge guys bitch at all the other guys sky busting.

I give up.

:lol: don't forget real sportsmen think we should choose to not shoot mallards, and the other real sportsmen think we should be shooting more pintail, and more specks, and all this decomp water screwing up rice hunting, and all the guys Internet scouting, and all the rolling donuts and pulling birds, and duck crews, and birds hanging on truck side mirrors and... and... end rant!
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby berniebiz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am

mikemac wrote:I hear the cranes taste good. One can legally shot them in Nevada, I am told. They certainly do not fly 150 yds in the sky.....

They are legal to hunt in Oklahoma too. They were all over Western OK and we used to hunt them all the time. Theres a reason they call them "ribeye of the sky".
berniebiz
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:34 pm

bandedbrant wrote:Or should I venture to say duck hunters of the year. At LST we were set up in our blind at Merced. A large flight of Sand Hill Cranes took flight only to have the worst day ever. They were being fired upon by the three guys in Blind B at Merced. If you are on here you know who you are. They were only lucky enough to miss until the fourth time. They sailed a sand hill to the far side of their field. Moments later we hear the finishing shoots. We decided to call Cal Tip and report them. As we were dialing a flight of geese came through so we sat down and decided it could wait 10 minutes til the geese were gone. A group of snows fly over our blind at about 150-200 yards and skirt their blind. 9 shots fired and some how 1 falls right into the closed and they start running in after it. They continued to shoot birds over 100 yards all day but the best was when they shot at a group of specks at a minimum of 250-300 yardsWe could only tell they were specks because of their call. And to the fools in blind 9 your measly dozen speck decoys were only getting the birds to come down to 150 yards but apparently you can still hit them from there. We ended the day with not a single oppurtinity because of the sky scrapers. I hope you guys learn from what happened today. And realize what sky scraping does for everyone including yourself. And to the rest of you hope you had a better shoot than I did today...

Don't you make fun of my twin brother. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Hey Mr. Crabbypants,
Remember the rule of threes. You pull the chain once it's funny. Pull it twice it's not. Three times? Folks roll their eyes at the effort.

After that you might as well be a trained laboratory monkey pulling a string to try and get another treat to fall out of the scientist's barrel.

Get some new material. :lol3:

Slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:44 pm

slowshooter wrote:

Hey Mr. Crabbypants,
Remember the rule of threes. You pull the chain once it's funny. Pull it twice it's not. Three times? Folks roll their eyes at the effort.

After that you might as well be a trained laboratory monkey pulling a string to try and get another treat to fall out of the scientist's barrel.

Get some new material. :lol3:

Slow

Someone wanted an AMEN earlier, well this post certainly deserves one... :beer:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 am

Ah, just ribbin' him a little. He's okay. It's not like I don't post things over and over.

And over. And over.

....and over.

Besides, if we can't harsh on each other who else can we harsh upon? We can't make fun of the antis. They don't care so it's no fun.

(hint to Yellow: if it ends with a smiley... it's a joke)
slowshooter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting