Duck hunting the Keene area

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Duck hunting the Keene area

Postby park1833 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Gents, I just moved to Swanzey, NH (Keene area) and I'm curious as to any info I can get on Places to hunt on this side of the state. (The Marine Corps moved me here, now some ducks need to get crushed haha). I'm a seasoned duck hunter and not too fond of divers but I understand that woodies, Canadian geese and mallards are the norm in this area. I'm literally right on the Ashuelot river and can use any advice on where to go that's out there. I use a kayak (when necessary) that's camo'd out, I have plenty of dekes but prefer to use a dozen or less and I shoot a Mossberg 500 that has about 300 wing feathers to its credit. This is the most beautiful state I've been in and would appreciate the help. Thanks,
Justin
park1833
Newb

Re: Duck hunting the Keene area

Postby JustinNH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 am

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Google earth will be your friend. Everyone spends countless hours and gallons of gas scouting, and for many Google Earth is where it starts. I start by my house and work my way out marking potential spots and eventually driving to them. There can be some good hunting here, but NH certainly not a place people seek out to duck hunt! haha I've shot birds in swamps, ponds, lakes, small rivers, big rivers, tidal rivers, and the ocean. Any body of water has potential, but I;ve also scouted and hunted spots without seeing more than 1 or 2 in the distance.

I know from metal detecting near there that there can be lots of fields in SW NH. Could be worth scouting fields for geese
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby park1833 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks Justin, I appreciate the info. I've been scouting in my truck and through Google earth and have found multiple places that look promising. Keep the posts coming folks, any info helps. Thanks again!
park1833
Newb

Postby NHlivefreeordieduckhunt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:12 pm

How did your Scouting Fair? If interested I could show you some places off the board of course :smile:
NHlivefreeordieduckhunt
Newb

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting