A question for field hunters.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

A question for field hunters.

Postby TuckyBoy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:39 pm

If you leave you're decoys in the field over night and its gon be COLD. Do you cover your dekes so as not to get frost on them ? I did tonite to hunt in the morning, trash bagged every damn one of em. Just wondering if its worth the extra effort.
If you wanna fill your jar up with lightning, You gotta stand in the rain.
TuckyBoy
hunter

Re: A question for field hunters.

Postby Dep6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:34 am

I have hunted up there a couple times now and we have not left ours out but with the heavy morning frost, I think you did the right thing. Have had to get out and wipe the snow off one time too.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby barrykeicks » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:31 am

really the only and best way to effectively deal with frost is to hook a fan nozzle to a propane tank then quickly and lightly run the flame over the decoy. washer fluid and the like doesn't work that well.
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Why would you leave decoys out all night. I think Id rather put them out in the morning fresh , it would take less time in my opinion then **** with the other options. Also what happens if the wind changes? You have to reset them anyway.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby chop123 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:02 pm

I have often wanted to leave my decoys out for a couple of hours when the birds were not flying, and run home,to store or bathroom break, but iam so afraid someone would steal them.No way could i leave them out over night i wouldnt sleep.
chop123
hunter

Postby TuckyBoy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48 pm

I have 60 Bigfoot B2'S. I don't have an enclosed trailer etc. For now I have to remove all the legs and I can fit the whole spread in 4 layouts. I was hunting by myself last night so trust me it was much quicker to put each individual decoy in a trash bag than pack up the whole spread and haul it out by myself. Either way though even if i had help, and it wasnt cold enough to frost, why wouldnt i leave em out if im returning in the morning. This is private ground and theft is not a concern. I bought the good 30 gallon stretch bags and it worked great. We actually had 4 inches of snow last night as well. Other than that its nothing to swing the hole for a change in wind direction.
TuckyBoy
hunter

Postby TuckyBoy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:55 pm

barrykeicks wrote:really the only and best way to effectively deal with frost is to hook a fan nozzle to a propane tank then quickly and lightly run the flame over the decoy. washer fluid and the like doesn't work that well.

Are you referring to one of these ? If not please elaborate further.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390697689.111339.jpg
TuckyBoy
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:40 pm

I am not a fan of leaving decoys out. I have hunted areas where most of the clubs and many of the private leases left decoys out all season. I have field hunted with friends where we had to hike gear into chisel plowed fields when it was terribly muddy. We left decoys in the field overnight but we wrapped them in a big tarp and set them out the next morning.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:44 pm

shoot I cant seem to get the darm pic to download. basically it is a brass nozzle, think of a japanese fan, that difuses the flame over a wider area.

sorry about my techinical uselessness.
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby quack*head » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 pm

I left mine out 20 doz, the last three weeks of Jan and never had frost or sheen in the mornings, I think it was so cold and dry that we did not get any moisture accumulation. Most lows over night were around 10 degrees highs were in the low to mid 20's...I did it once in the early season when temps were around 30 and they were covered in front in the morning...so it depends on your local weather.
quack*head
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I would worry too much if I left mine out over night. Not that anything would happen to them where I hunt, but it would make me crazy. Plus, I think setting out, and picking up decoys is part of the hunt. But I'm not running near as many decoys as most of y'all either :wink:
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum