SBE2 double feed?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Re: SBE2 double feed?

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

After reading this I would send it in just make sure you leave a note with the gun. If you do end up sending it in http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4&start=20
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:13 pm

winchester1852 wrote:After reading this I would send it in just make sure you leave a note with the gun. If you do end up sending it in http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4&start=20

I'm betting that "adjusted the magazine catch" meant they just bent it in a little. I'm damn tempted to buy another catch, build up that rounded edge, and recontour it to have a sharper angle.

Meh. I think I'll just send it in. If any more problems pop up down the road, at least the gun will have a service record.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm betting that "adjusted the magazine catch" meant they just bent it in a little. I'm damn tempted to buy another catch, build up that rounded edge, and recontour it to have a sharper angle.

Meh. I think I'll just send it in. If any more problems pop up down the road, at least the gun will have a service record.[/quote]

well it can't hurt to send it in. i think your right about the (adjusted mag catch).
winchester1852
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 am

ill add that the spring that pushes the carrier latch( the piece pinned into the receiver that holds the shells in the magazine)
can slide front and back behind that latch adding or lessening the pressure. if the spring is strong the latch can pivot back to place faster, and maybe before the next shell tries to follow the first. the rim of the shell hitting on the long side of the latch also forces the latch back into place....so a small dia cartridge head will hurt...plus it is possible something can get jammed behind that latch and when forced it bends.....it is stamped steel....

I think dirt behind the short end of the carrier latch would tend to prevent a shell from leaving the magazine...not allow it!!

I looked up that latch....seems some places are out of stock on those parts

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Just an update.

My gun made it home today and with it was a list of repairs/alterations made by their smith.

-- Inspected the gun and all internal parts for defects and malfunctions
-- Reshaped the extractor cut to allow for better extraction, ejection and bolt lockup
- - Trimmed the mag spring to prevent shell bounce
-- Adjusted the carrier angle
--- Function checked & test fired---2 3/4" 3" 3 1/2" Federal Winchester Kent with no malfunctions.

A couple things seemed a little hoaky for having just come from a manufacturers smith. First, the recut extractor groove could've been done a little cleaner and a touch of cold blueing may have prevented what could now become a good sized rusty spot. I'll take care of that. The lock washer that is supposed to go under the stock retaining nut was not installed and it was rattling around inside the stock. I took care of it, but that's a rookie mistake. Lastly, I have an aftermarket front sight on it and it came back broken. I can't say for sure if it happened at their shop or in transit via USPS when I sent it or UPS when they sent it. Besides, it is an aftermarket part that I didn't remove prior to shipping so that's my bad. No biggie. A spot of super glue fixed it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Well at least they fixed it, disappointed with the little mistakes they made. Sounds like a lazy s.o.b worked on it.

Happy shooting.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby AUDuckSlayer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:36 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Just an update.

My gun made it home today and with it was a list of repairs/alterations made by their smith.

-- Reshaped the extractor cut to allow for better extraction, ejection and bolt lockup
--- Function checked & test fired---2 3/4" 3" 3 1/2" Federal Winchester Kent with no malfunctions.

A couple things seemed a little hoaky for having just come from a manufacturers smith. First, the recut extractor groove could've been done a little cleaner and a touch of cold blueing may have prevented what could now become a good sized rusty spot. I'll take care of that. The lock washer that is supposed to go under the stock retaining nut was not installed and it was rattling around inside the stock. I took care of it, but that's a rookie mistake. Lastly, I have an aftermarket front sight on it and it came back broken. I can't say for sure if it happened at their shop or in transit via USPS when I sent it or UPS when they sent it. Besides, it is an aftermarket part that I didn't remove prior to shipping so that's my bad. No biggie. A spot of super glue fixed it.

How has the gun worked sense you got it back? My SBE is double feeding and the two shells are getting stuck inline. The funny part is if I shoot Federal rounds I never have this problem. If I put in Kents or Hevi-Metal it double feeds.
AUDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:26 am

AUDuckSlayer wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Just an update.

A couple things seemed a little hoaky for having just come from a manufacturers smith. First, the recut extractor groove could've been done a little cleaner and a touch of cold blueing may have prevented what could now become a good sized rusty spot. I'll take care of that. The lock washer that is supposed to go under the stock retaining nut was not installed and it was rattling around inside the stock. I took care of it, but that's a rookie mistake. Lastly, I have an aftermarket front <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gun+sight" rel="nofollow"><span>sight</span></a> on it and it came back broken. I can't say for sure if it happened at their shop or in transit via USPS when I sent it or UPS when they sent it. Besides, it is an aftermarket part that I didn't remove prior to shipping so that's my bad. No biggie. A spot of super glue fixed it.

How has the gun worked sense you got it back? My SBE is double feeding and the two shells are getting stuck inline. The funny part is if I shoot Federal rounds I never have this problem. If I put in Kents or Hevi-Metal it double feeds.

At the beginning of the season I bought two boxes of Kents to see if the problem was actually fixed and it cycled them fine. Then I got some Kent's for Christmas and it made it thru half a box and it double fed. I kept shooting them and have had about 4 double feeds out of those two boxes of shells. It's going back again after the season is over. I'm still convinced that the combination of the round rim of the shell and the round edge of the latch is allowing them to roll past each other. Again, I'm tempted to take the TIG welder to that edge to build it up and reshape it but I want to keep a service record going incase it ever comes down to needing the gun replaced by the factory, thus getting a new 10 year warranty. And o have tried contacting Kent to get their head and rim diameter specs but I haven't got an answer back from them. Either way, even if they are on the small side of spec, all of my other guns cycle them fine so this one should too.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Just an update. After doing some research it seems that the double feed jamming issue is fairly common with the SBE2 but I couldn't find anything about it happening in the original SBE. I also saw that the shell stopping edge of the carrier latch used in the SBE different but that the part is interchangeable between the two. So rather than send the gun back again I hunted down an old style SBE latch and installed it. It does seem like the flatter edge will do a better job of holding the third shell back by not allowing the rim to roll past it. Will update again once I've had a chance to test fire a few boxes of shells.

clampdaddy
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Mine done the same thing and it was the clip piece that holds the shells in the mag tube. It would hold one shell but the tension of two would make it release. The clip just a debris in it and a small spur.
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 pm

I also shoot only Kent's.... All my problems were using Rios.
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 am

Sounds like you got some Kents that are out of spec. Not he guns' fault directly. Many guns are not fussy about rim size/stucture. Sounds like yours is. I ran into this many years ago where my 1100 mag would run Remingtons fine but miss feed with some Winchesters. When you have tolerances in the thousands of an inch, the gun could be a bit on the loose side and the shells near minimum and it creates a cluster ****. (technical term) :censored:
z51
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Yep, I think you're right. I've had hit and miss problems with Kent's in this gun. Shells from one lot will jam, some from another lot won't, then another lot will give me issues again. Could've just quit shooting that brand but I just hate guns that require special diets.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Well, I think that did it. Made sure not to clean it so that other than the new part it would be exactly like it was the last time it was jamming. Shot the last two of boxes of the Kent's I had that were giving me problems and no jams.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:12 am

clampdaddy wrote:Well, I think that did it. Made sure not to clean it so that other than the new part it would be exactly like it was the last time it was jamming. Shot the last two of boxes of the Kent's I had that were giving me problems and no jams.

Then , you must be ready for some serious Sporting Clays competition......for Beers...... with that So-Called smokepole ? :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm

3200 man wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Well, I think that did it. Made sure not to clean it so that other than the new part it would be exactly like it was the last time it was jamming. Shot the last two of boxes of the Kent's I had that were giving me problems and no jams.

Then , you must be ready for some serious Sporting Clays competition......for Beers...... with that So-Called smokepole ? :lol3:

I've actually been thinking about shooting the 20 gauge next time. That way I'll have a better excuse for why I miss so many.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 am

clampdaddy wrote:
3200 man wrote:

I've actually been thinking about shooting the 20 gauge next time. That way I'll have a better excuse for why I miss so many.

You seem to be kinda proud of that 20 , care to share what its reliability has been ? Better than a certain B gun , I hope ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:03 am

3200 man wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
3200 man wrote:

You seem to be kinda proud of that 20 , care to share what its reliability has been ? Better than a certain B gun , I hope ? :yes:

Hard to say. Only has about 100 rounds thru it. No problems yet, but the spoonies don't like it.

clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:11 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
3200 man wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
3200 man wrote:

Hard to say. Only has about 100 rounds thru it. No problems yet, but the spoonies don't like it.

In the picture , it looks like it has a rotating bolt ? I hope you cleaned that good looking gun ? You know those
Broad Billed Suckers will not only ruin a finely finished smoke-pole , but , cause pitting on a gun and also your stomach walls
without having enough Beer to wash them down ! :lol3: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum