SBE2 double feed?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: SBE2 double feed?

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

After reading this I would send it in just make sure you leave a note with the gun. If you do end up sending it in http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4&start=20
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:13 pm

winchester1852 wrote:After reading this I would send it in just make sure you leave a note with the gun. If you do end up sending it in http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 4&start=20

I'm betting that "adjusted the magazine catch" meant they just bent it in a little. I'm damn tempted to buy another catch, build up that rounded edge, and recontour it to have a sharper angle.

Meh. I think I'll just send it in. If any more problems pop up down the road, at least the gun will have a service record.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm betting that "adjusted the magazine catch" meant they just bent it in a little. I'm damn tempted to buy another catch, build up that rounded edge, and recontour it to have a sharper angle.

Meh. I think I'll just send it in. If any more problems pop up down the road, at least the gun will have a service record.[/quote]

well it can't hurt to send it in. i think your right about the (adjusted mag catch).
winchester1852
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 am

ill add that the spring that pushes the carrier latch( the piece pinned into the receiver that holds the shells in the magazine)
can slide front and back behind that latch adding or lessening the pressure. if the spring is strong the latch can pivot back to place faster, and maybe before the next shell tries to follow the first. the rim of the shell hitting on the long side of the latch also forces the latch back into place....so a small dia cartridge head will hurt...plus it is possible something can get jammed behind that latch and when forced it bends.....it is stamped steel....

I think dirt behind the short end of the carrier latch would tend to prevent a shell from leaving the magazine...not allow it!!

I looked up that latch....seems some places are out of stock on those parts

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Just an update.

My gun made it home today and with it was a list of repairs/alterations made by their smith.

-- Inspected the gun and all internal parts for defects and malfunctions
-- Reshaped the extractor cut to allow for better extraction, ejection and bolt lockup
- - Trimmed the mag spring to prevent shell bounce
-- Adjusted the carrier angle
--- Function checked & test fired---2 3/4" 3" 3 1/2" Federal Winchester Kent with no malfunctions.

A couple things seemed a little hoaky for having just come from a manufacturers smith. First, the recut extractor groove could've been done a little cleaner and a touch of cold blueing may have prevented what could now become a good sized rusty spot. I'll take care of that. The lock washer that is supposed to go under the stock retaining nut was not installed and it was rattling around inside the stock. I took care of it, but that's a rookie mistake. Lastly, I have an aftermarket front sight on it and it came back broken. I can't say for sure if it happened at their shop or in transit via USPS when I sent it or UPS when they sent it. Besides, it is an aftermarket part that I didn't remove prior to shipping so that's my bad. No biggie. A spot of super glue fixed it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Well at least they fixed it, disappointed with the little mistakes they made. Sounds like a lazy s.o.b worked on it.

Happy shooting.
winchester1852
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum