Duck Hunting Forum banner

How much weight for teal?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mudpack 
#1 ·
Now that the season is over I can think about reworking my decoys and will start in a month or so. The first thing on my list is to Texas rig my teal. My question is how heavy of a decoy weight is required. I currently use 4 oz on everything but since they are smaller i thought I might could use less. I had wondered if 2 or 2 1/2 oz would be sufficient. This would save me weight walking in and some cash as well.

#2 ·
If your hunting where your weight is in vegetation or the bottom is very soft or there is no current then if day go for it. Only reason I run a slightly heavier weight is because we have a good amount of current and hard bottom.

Worse case scenario you don't like it, melt them down and poor heavier.

#4 ·
Weight for a particular decoy depends on several things;
Line length/water depth, windspeed, current speed (if any), bottom type, and type of anchor.

I use custom-poured 4 ounce mushroom-type weights on lines of a length that are at least twice what water depth is, over very soft bottoms. They hold in 4mph currents (line length there is 4-5 times water depth) and in 30 mph winds.

Long lines, small decoys, soft bottoms, calm winds and mushroom or grapple type weights should allow 1 ounce weights to work fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.