woodcock/grouse hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

woodcock/grouse hunting

Postby skybuster20ga » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:11 pm

when we go up to camp for a week we are hunting ruffed grouse and woodcock all in the same cover over the dog. i shoot 7.5's thinking its a good compromise for both. my ol' man uses #8's but seems the far flushing grouse have the better odds. whats do you guys use when hunting an area that you dont know whats gonna come up
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 pm

I think you're right on. I typically use the 7 1/2s cause we're in a similar situation. I can't wait to get out after both of them. Good luck, I understand the ME is great for grouse. I think we're looking at a good year here in NY too.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:47 pm

i grab a bandolier of miscellaneous shells, i throw in a few heavy pheasant/grouse/turkey loads, a few chukar/quail loads and some crap shells for whatever else. i take double ought buck if i am the backup shot on a bear hunt.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 am

i could see doing that in idaho but we dont have quail or chukar or pheasant lol all we have is partridge and woodcock. actually there a preserves in towards the cities that have pheasant hunting but they were pen raised and they run like a bastard, hardly ever fly.

yes the partridge hunting is great. of course year to year it varies some. last year was excellent for woodcock if you ask me but some ppl here would argue otherwise.

an 1 hour rainy day huntin northern maine
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm

our pheasant hunting has gone way downhill in the last 12 years, now unless you have private land to hunt, you have to hunt the management areas for the pen raised birds, i haven't ever even shot a wild pheasant, they just aren't here anymore.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Gimpster » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I use a 20 gauge and usually have a mixture of 7.5 and 8's. Never found too much of a difference. In the middle of training a Brittany, hoping that's going to improve my chances. When I was only shooting Grouse, 6 or 7.5 was my choice...gives a little more distance. #8 over the Woodies. My advice is take your time on the shot...hopefully hunting over a dog, makes it easier to do so!
Gimpster
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:58 pm

yea..............ever been to maine???? there aint any time to take friend. flush point squeeze or you dont get to shoot at all.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby stephen33 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:56 pm

woodcock you can generally take your time on grouse not so much at least were i am in southern maine. i hunt over english setters and they start working the bird pretty far out so you know the point is comming but even still the grouse are usually on the edges of your range. that said i shoot either a 28 or 20 with 7 1/2s.
stephen33
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 am

7.5 to 6 for me. but I'm usually getting grouse and cottons. Jacks once in a while. I never shot a woodcock cuz I always leave my duck stamp at home when I go in the wood. :oops:
sherlockbonez
hunter

Return to Upland Game